MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2021, 12:02 AM   #1
BBQEsquire
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Hiding The Smoke

So, I went to a friend's house, a fellow Smoker, for a small get together. He was raving about his new seasoning profiles. As usual, the meat was cooked properly and was well seasoned. However, there was one big problem. I did not taste any smoke...or very little.

Now, the gentleman and I have a great relationship. We are honest to a fault about everything, especially BBQ. I told him that his seasonings overwhelmed the smoke. I told him that I'd be damned if I smoked something for 4 plus hours and not taste smoke. He actually agreed with me. Typically, he is a SPGOP guy. He thanked me for my honesty. I told him, "the next time you want to waste good Hickory, just give it to me."

Brethren, have you ever experienced BBQ that was so over-seasoned that it hid the smoke?

Old 01-17-2021, 06:00 AM   #2
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

It seems to me that if it was (over)seasoned to the point of masking the smoke it would be inedible. But you said it was good, just not smokey. I would look for another cause of lack of smoke.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-17-2021, 06:55 AM   #3
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

BBQ over seasoned to the point it covered up the smoke flavor? I have not -not sure if it's even possible. I treat smoke as a seasoning- it should not be the predominant thing tasted. I've had food -mainly cooked by others-that had just a faint hint- and I've had some with such heavy smoke that gave me the smoke belches hours later.

I greatly prefer the former over the latter.

Was the wood too dry? Cooked in deep or covered foil pans -not allowing some good smoke penetration? In either case, you could have a reduced smoke flavor. I might say it's "lacking/ could use more" but not that it's "covered up"

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-17-2021, 07:18 AM   #4
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

I wonder whether there's any smoke flavor in competition barbecue. I watch BBQ Pitmasters and look at everything they put on the meats and think how could anyone taste smoke.

Local comp guy here, Travis Clark, whose won the Jack Daniels and the American Royal, says he could not eat three bites of his comp brisket because its flavored for the one bite a judge will take.

So yeah, I think its very possible for marinades, injections, rubs, and sauces to hide smoke flavor.

What's that thing about using sauce, that if the barbecue is done right, there's no need for sauce. Sauce is something ya put on bad barbecue to hide the flavor. Not saying I agree with that, just saying its a thing.

Also, depends on type of smoker ............. is it pellet, charcoal/chunk, or stick burner .......... each one of those is going to have a different level of smoke flavor.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2021, 07:53 AM   #5
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

A guy at work a while back got an egg so he was asking for advice. The next week he came back saying it was the best pulled pork he ever had and proceeded to say that he put it on wrapped in foil then the last about 1/2 he crisped it up on high heat Me another smoker tried to explain to him that he didn't actually smoke it....but, he just didn't get it. Oh well, he was happy at least. Maybe your friend wrapped it too early?

Old 01-17-2021, 07:56 AM   #6
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Pellet cooker?

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2021, 08:06 AM   #7
woody1949
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Larry
Default Amen Brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
I wonder whether there's any smoke flavor in competition barbecue. I watch BBQ Pitmasters and look at everything they put on the meats and think how could anyone taste smoke.

Local comp guy here, Travis Clark, whose won the Jack Daniels and the American Royal, says he could not eat three bites of his comp brisket because its flavored for the one bite a judge will take.

So yeah, I think its very possible for marinades, injections, rubs, and sauces to hide smoke flavor.

What's that thing about using sauce, that if the barbecue is done right, there's no need for sauce. Sauce is something ya put on bad barbecue to hide the flavor. Not saying I agree with that, just saying its a thing.

Also, depends on type of smoker ............. is it pellet, charcoal/chunk, or stick burner .......... each one of those is going to have a different level of smoke flavor.
I am always suspicious when I get a plate of meat that has already been covered in sauce.............I say let the meat speak fort itself........use the sauce as a condiment ........sparingly
woody1949 is offline   Reply With Quote