MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #1
grizzly0925
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Nick
Default What does your catering rig look like?

I was pointed to this board as I may get more reply's on this..

Fascinated by how pop-ups are becoming more and more popular and curious how they work. I see alot of ad's for these 250/500 gallon rigs but my question is how do these folks get by without having a functional kitchen area? Do you normally just pull up near the commissary your cooking at and then just transport for catering? I mean its a bad ass rig but a bbq trailer/truck seems like more sense. How do yall do it? What does your catering rig look like if you do have one? I would love to have a 250 gallon one day serving up great food, but i have a long road ahead.

Trying to eventually get a part time gig helping out a bbq place in the area to learn the ropes of operating more of a food trailer environment one day.
grizzly0925 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2021, 09:32 PM   #2
Rock'n B
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Nick are you talking more about vending at an event or actually catering for weddings or special events?

3-Cookshack FEC120's, Cookshack PG 1000, Cookshack CBO 36, pit barrel, drum, Boathouse reverse flow, little Red Box, Southern Pride SPX 300, Rec tec Bullseye and a 500 gallon offset. I had to sell a few so I could stay married but I got a rotisserie layed in the shop to start building. Can't give in to much, lol. Smoke on BBQ brothers.
Rock'n B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2021, 10:56 PM   #3
grizzly0925
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock'n B View Post
Nick are you talking more about vending at an event or actually catering for weddings or special events?
I guess I am more talking about vending at events I guess. I would assume if you are catering you would just cook off-set and transport in cambros or something. Theres a few bbq trailers around here that do vending and what not so i guess that is the way you would have to go rather than just having a big offset.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:41 AM   #4
Rock'n B
Got Wood.

Nick, there is a difference in catering and vending we do both usually catering involves preparing and transporting as you said. We started vending with a pop up with a trailer with our smokers and sinks on it. Then we purchased a trailer to serve out of. We used it for several years and purchased a large 40' cook trailer with a full kitchen and smoker we can cater out of it but mainly vend larger events. I added a roof over our original smoker trailer and rearranged it so we could use it for smaller events. You have to be aware of local state health codes because they do vary. I've attached some pictures of how we evolved thru the years.

3-Cookshack FEC120's, Cookshack PG 1000, Cookshack CBO 36, pit barrel, drum, Boathouse reverse flow, little Red Box, Southern Pride SPX 300, Rec tec Bullseye and a 500 gallon offset. I had to sell a few so I could stay married but I got a rotisserie layed in the shop to start building. Can't give in to much, lol. Smoke on BBQ brothers.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-03-2021, 08:41 PM   #5
grizzly0925
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock'n B View Post
Nick, there is a difference in catering and vending we do both usually catering involves preparing and transporting as you said. We started vending with a pop up with a trailer with our smokers and sinks on it. Then we purchased a trailer to serve out of. We used it for several years and purchased a large 40' cook trailer with a full kitchen and smoker we can cater out of it but mainly vend larger events. I added a roof over our original smoker trailer and rearranged it so we could use it for smaller events. You have to be aware of local state health codes because they do vary. I've attached some pictures of how we evolved thru the years.
That's wild. yeah just out of curiosity I have been trying to read about NJ's policies because the state requires you to do catering out of a commissary or rented kitchen so I am a little curious how they treat it if you just have to tow your smoker to the commissary location or not.

Looks like you have had some success being able to upgrade through the years that's always great to hear and motivating.

I am sure it varies by state but in AL if the trailer has running water etc the state will look at it as a functional kitchen for vending?

Old 02-03-2021, 09:20 PM   #6
Rock'n B
Got Wood.

Nick, we have a small restaurant that we use as our commissary. That's usually one of there requirements then you have to have a 3 compartment sink, a hand wash sink, hot water and a way to keep food held at the proper tempeture. I've seen folks get buy with 4 bus boxes to serve as there sinks, coolers, a smoker and set up under a pop up. Then I've been at events that they check out our big trailer to the tee. What's funny though most of the time if the health inspector sticks around they come back and eat with us. Lol

Thanks from:--->

Tags
250gallon, catering, offset, pop-up, trailer