Coppa Bacon

bluetang

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
AKA buckboard bacon. Anytime I grind sausage, I first cut the coppa(money muscles) off the butts, and add them back last as needed for weight. Usually have two or three left over for later. Brine cured (injected) one with salt, dex, cure#1, tabasco, and then hit it heavily with black pepper. Smoked to 140 IT. Didn’t disappoint, especially at .99/lb. Thanks fer lookin!

A52EB131-BC08-4B8F-AAD8-F7017B8F8AF7 by Mi Co, on Flickr

73275099-9676-4149-ACEC-9DD8D18C30B8 by Mi Co, on Flickr

C126C5A5-C58C-4218-B3C6-2A0AD814A0CB by Mi Co, on Flickr

That looks really good. Need more info on the cure like how long amounts of ingredients etc if you do not mind sharing. I assume dex is dextrose? What temp did you smoke? Judging by the color I assume you went low temp with a lot of smoke or perhaps the cure cause the darker color.

Thanks,

Robert

51616645604_dfdd05b901_c.jpg

Yes please... :hungry:

Absolutely amazing!! You did a terrific job on that. I hope to one day have the space and equipment to do stuff like that.

Oh yeah. New project for me.
For how long did you cure it before smoking?

Last edited:
I do the same thing, (also with an injectable cure) and yours look great. Tell me more about using Tabasco, also what is the liquid in your injection? If you do these often, the meat netting is super handy to use.

9IfODKz.jpg

I make porkstrami out of Coppa roasts, it's good too!

GvzsuQf.jpg

Need more info on the cure like how long amounts of ingredients etc if you do not mind sharing. I assume dex is dextrose? What temp did you smoke? Judging by the color I assume you went low temp with a lot of smoke or perhaps the cure cause the darker color.
It’s an old coppa brine. Per gallon water: 110g dextrose, 62g cure #1, 155g kosher salt. Inject meat 10% green weight. Cover with left over curing brine for four days in fridge, rinse, hold in refrigerator 24 hours for equalization.
Place in preheated smoker at 130 for two hours, no smoke, increasing temp to 140 adding smoke. Gradually raising temp to 150 topping out at 165.
Pull at 140ish IT. Thanks!

For how long did you cure it before smoking?
Four day cure on this one. Thanks!

I do the same thing, (also with an injectable cure) and yours look great. Tell me more about using Tabasco, also what is the liquid in your injection? If you do these often, the meat netting is super handy to use.
Well Wayne, the Tabasco was a bust because brain dead here forgot to add it before injecting :doh. I threw a table spoon in the brine after. Next time I’ll inject. Liquid was just RO water. Those ham nets look to be the bomb! I am definitely going to do a coppa pastrami, that sounds most excellent. Thanks!

Doesn't get any better than that!! Looks fantastic, Mike!!

Well Wayne, the Tabasco was a bust because brain dead here forgot to add it before injecting :doh. I threw a table spoon in the brine after. Next time I’ll inject. Liquid was just RO water. Those ham nets look to be the bomb! I am definitely going to do a coppa pastrami, that sounds most excellent. Thanks!

So I bet the Tabasco will bring a vinegar and spicy flavor to the party. It sounds like a good adder to the corning brine for the porkstrami too. The size netting I like for Coppas, and pork loins is #28. I knot one end and stretch it over a stainless canister, then just push the roast in.

I'm curious how you arrived at the 62 grams of Cure #1 for the 1-gallon of curing brine? It seems pretty hot.

xlrTjou.jpg

So I bet the Tabasco will bring a vinegar and spicy flavor to the party. It sounds like a good adder to the corning brine for the porkstrami too. The size netting I like for Coppas, and pork loins is #28. I knot one end and stretch it over a stainless canister, then just push the roast in.

I'm curious how you arrived at the 62 grams of Cure #1 for the 1-gallon of curing brine? It seems pretty hot.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the Tabasco, bummed I didn’t get it injected.

I be digging that stuffing idea!

The original came from Rytek. It was for 5 qts and broken down from there. What would you throw in a gallon?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the Tabasco, bummed I didn’t get it injected.

I be digging that stuffing idea!

The original came from Rytek. It was for 5 qts and broken down from there. What would you throw in a gallon?

I have the Kutas book, if you have a page number that would be great, sometimes he is using different applications and different strengths with specific curing times. I lean towards a weaker brine and longer times. I do the 10% pump on thicker meats.

Anyways.... The correct way to make an equilibrium curing brine is.... weigh the meat and liquid and all the ingredients... Add cure#1 at a rate of 1.13 grams of cure#1 per pound of this total weight.

However, I'm seeing more and more experienced people (reliable sources) only using only the meat weight + water weight, then adding cure #1 at a rate of 1.13 grams of cure #1 per pound of total weight. So in essence this method has become a 'proven method' over time.

For example: 1 gallon of water and a 4# roast will give you 12.34 pounds of total weight. Using just meat and water weight will calculate to 14 grams of cure #1, and give you 156 parts per million nitrite.

I have the Kutas book, if you have a page number that would be great, sometimes he is using different applications and different strengths with specific curing times. I lean towards a weaker brine and longer times. I do the 10% pump on thicker meats.

Anyways.... The correct way to make an equilibrium curing brine is.... weigh the meat and liquid and all the ingredients... Add cure#1 at a rate of 1.13 grams of cure#1 per pound of this total weight.

However, I'm seeing more and more experienced people (reliable sources) only using only the meat weight + water weight, then adding cure #1 at a rate of 1.13 grams of cure #1 per pound of total weight. So in essence this method has become a 'proven method' over time.

For example: 1 gallon of water and a 4# roast will give you 12.34 pounds of total weight. Using just meat and water weight will calculate to 14 grams of cure #1, and give you 156 parts per million nitrite.

Thanks Wayne, I like that formula big time. The page is 334 in my book. It calls for 4 tablespoons per 5 qts. I just now weighed 4 tablespoons and got 75g. Divide by 5 equals 15, 15x4 = 60 g/gallon. Check out his pastrami brine on pg 327. It calls for 2/3 cup cure for 5 qts. Dang!
I do believe I’ll be using the formula you provided, thanks for speaking out!

Back