MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #16
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

I have eaten my deer meat and sausage at two years wrapped in butcher paper in the freezer. I even ate some sausage once from 3 years that was wrapped only in butcher paper. Tasted like chit. Now I vacuum pack it.

I wouldn't hesitate to eat anything 3 or 4 years old. It won't hurt you and salmonella and botulism won't grow in the freezer. The only thing to suffer will be the taste.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #17
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

And, depending on the meat/protein, the texture... I advise AVOIDING tilapia that is over 18 months old... vacuum sealed or not... ;-)
Old 06-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
Dink
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Elk....

I like to go elk hunting every couple of years and often have some summer sausage made and have it kryo-vacc'd. About how long is it good before it needs to be pitched?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #19
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell7 View Post
My late wife NEVER thawed her Thksgvng turkey. Been trying to convince my current wife to try it! She finally did thanks to the American Turkey council web-site that gave a full explanation on how to do it , as well as saying it's best and safest that way. They also said that while quality could not be assured , a frozen turkey will keep in the frozen state indefinitely!!Why not other foods? If you look at FDA guidelines , they don't agree with the Turkey council. Sooo, whom do you believe-- beats me--ours was over a year old and tasty and juicy!

Lets see... who are we to believe?

1)A greedy capital conglomerate whose goal is to breed profit for it's members at all cost?

Or....

2)A corrupt Gov't agency that does what big greedy capitalist conglomerates pay them to do?

hmmmm..... hard choice. Guess someone at the FDA did not get their pay off.

<pay no heed to the man behind the green curtain, which is me>
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #20
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wrapped some pork chops real solid and air tight with Glad Press & Seal and then wrapped and sealed with some aluminum foil and they kept for a year and were still like new. That's the longest I've ever had anything stick around in my freezer though...
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #21
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

I can't in good conscience just toss out old meat. For one it cost me money, and two, an animal was slaughtered for it. So I have come up with two uses for proteins more than a year old or otherwise not enjoyable for consumption.

One is dog food, thaw it and serve over next two days, no more, no re-freezing. If it's any type of meat that can be broken down (ribs, chops, steaks, etc), I will usually take a cleaver to the frozen piece and leave the rest in the freezer.

The second thing I found it useful for is seasoning pits. I've had enough friends buy pits that it went to good use. Throw it on some high heat and let that freezer-burnt meat spread the love. I guess it depends on how you season your pit, but this has served me well.
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #22
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Good ideas El Lobo, I don't have a dog but I guess i can feed it to the bears.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #23
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo View Post
I can't in good conscience just toss out old meat.
All "old" meat and any other food that has been frozen is safe to eat, no
matter how long it has been frozen.
Food that has been frozen for many, many, many years is always safe to
eat. It doesn't ever need to be thrown away or given to dogs.
Grillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #24
bigabyte

My mother in law cleaned out her mothers freezer a couple years back (she has had dementia for some time now) and found buried in the back a package of hamburger in butchers wrap with an attached hand written receipt from 1976. There were also some steaks in similar packaging right next to it but no date. When they opened it up, they said the hamburger looked like some sort of diseased brain. They thawed it out of curiosity and they said it had a foul, most unusual odor. They tried boiling it to serve to the dogs and the whole house smelled so bad they tossed it instead and then tried getting the smell out of the house.

Now, that said...you have to wonder if, and how many, power outages there might have been in that house since 1976, and did she properly preserve the meat during those power outages? So was it bad from age, or from improper storage, or all of the above?
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #25
chad

Depends! How's that for an answer.
1. How much fat makes a difference. Fatty meat doesn't keep as well as lean.
2. Vacuum bagged will keep longer no matter the type of meat.
3. If it's frozen in ice, not just ice crystal coated, it'll keep a good long while. We used to freeze fresh caught fish in milk cartons filled with water. Of course, that keeps the air off it.
4. Turkey or chicken in the original "shrink wrap" will keep for a LONG time. Wrapped in the looser retail bags...not so much. Freezer burn is waiting for ya!
5. General rule is 6-12 months for pork and that tends to be true. If you see ice crystals and the edges looks pale - it's gotten freezer burned. It won't kill ya, but it will taste like crap.
6. Prepared meats like sausages will keep for a really long time if vacuum packed.

I keep going back to vacuum packing and I have not financial interest in FoodSaver, but if your food is packed in one of their bags and the seal is right, the meat will last for a long time.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #26
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillman View Post
All "old" meat and any other food that has been frozen is safe to eat, no
matter how long it has been frozen.
Food that has been frozen for many, many, many years is always safe to
eat. It doesn't ever need to be thrown away or given to dogs.
I agree Grillman, it's not a food safety issue. As I said, if its not 'otherwise enjoyable for consumption' then I find another practical use for it.

I came up with a value proposition. Giving to a dog is actually a very good option in my opinion. If I work out the cost of the raw meat compared to cans of QUALITY dog food, you'll find raw meat to be a pretty good value. No preservatives, no questionable meat, etc.

Simply an option for freezer-burnt or otherwise tasteless meat.
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #27
Rare Gramps
Got rid of the matchlight.

Frozen meat doesn't go bad as far as causing food born illness. But after 6 months it starts losing it's flavor. Beef goes faster than pork with the exception of sausage that contains spices. Spices in sausage (beef or pork) are done in about 6 months and do not add to the taste of the item any more. So you folks that have meat in the freezer for a year and want to get rid of it, invite the mother-in-law over for dinner.
Rare Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #28
BC Squared
Full Fledged Farker

I use a Food Saver, and had tried meat frozen up to a year...haven't had any issues, still tastes like it just came off the grill.
BC Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #29
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Man, reading through all this old information is like digging through ancient civilizations. Still good for a read though. Not trying to tout this off as a new thread or anything! It's certainly new to me though.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:08 AM   #30
Violet88
Found some matches.

It's really hard to say that such-and-such food should last this amount of time - when I put such numbers in my recipes, I always try to err on the safer (shorter) side. It depends on how fresh the food was in the first place, and what the conditions in your fridge are. If things are rotting fast in your refrigerator in the summer, it's probably because people are opening it more frequently to get cool drinks and such, so the temperature inside is going up. You may want to get a cheap thermometer to see how cold or warm it is inside the fridge, and adjust the cooling level. It should be around -5 degrees C (23 degrees F) or so or a bit lower (but not cold enough so that things start freezing). Also make sure you are buying fresh, not-expired meat that's been kept at proper temperatures at the store.
Violet88 is offline   Reply With Quote