Experimental Shenanigans in the 505 - pmad's cold smoked pecan bacon cream cheese

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This is my humble attempt at making pmad's... ridiculousness from back in 2015.

This was my first attempt at making candied bacon. CINHOUSE was concerned with the cayenne factor after her first taste. I almost had to chase the munchkin out of the kitchen after I gave her a taste!

smqvn4yl.jpg

Uyfiz9Gl.jpg

Rolled 2 x Philly cream cheese bricks in the bacon/pecan mixture.

XZmbyWml.jpg

Wrapped each one and back into the fridge for a while.

wQtu056l.jpg

It's still 89*F out there, so I'm waiting until tonight to try cold smoking anything.

I'll be using my Amazin' Tube Smoker in the 26er.

More to follow.

In for updates, I've got mine going too.

Good idea on the Seran wrap. I'm gonna go inside for more chardonnay, and while I'm in there, I'll coat the bricks and wrap 'em in the fridge.

See the original thread - I didn't smoke the cheese this time, no smoke tube (Amazon delivers it tomorrow).

Good idea on the Seran wrap. I'm gonna go inside for more chardonnay, and while I'm in there, I'll coat the bricks and wrap 'em in the fridge.

See the original thread - I didn't smoke the cheese this time, no smoke tube (Amazon delivers it tomorrow).

I did the plastic wrap / fridge combo for a couple of reasons... needed to get the pecan/bacon mixture out of reach of the 5 yr old. Kid can't handle "spicy," but she'd crush the whole bowl of goodness if I turned my back. Also, it's still farkin' hot here and I don't really want to be cooking real late... hoping to keep the bricks cool and apply some smoke w/o raising the temp too much this evening.

Good call on the chard. I've been enjoying palomas... being in the 505, it fits. I'll probably adjust fire to some bourbon here shortly.... goes with the bacon... yeah... that's it.

Curious how you like the tube. I've had mine since 2015 when I took it international and smoked different stuff all over the place (using other heat sources and the tube for smoke). Haven't whipped her out in a long, long while.

Broke out the first of two philly bricks.

UcxVLLyl.jpg

Family enjoyed it as a first taste, but I find it to be too smokey.

I'm hoping that by holding it in the fridge for a week or two, the smokiness will mellow out... thereby allowing the flavors from the candied bacon and pecans to actually join the party.

Thoughts?

Looks good Marc, I have never tried it so I can't be4 much help.

Cream Cheese and Pistachios - you're making me so proud.

Looks killer from here too!

Your helper is growing so fast. What a cutie!!

Epilogue / Follow-Up

Family enjoyed it as a first taste, but I find it to be too smokey.

I'm hoping that by holding it in the fridge for a week or two, the smokiness will mellow out... thereby allowing the flavors from the candied bacon and pecans to actually join the party.

Thoughts?

I froze one brick of this and used some sort of special cheese paper to wrap the other one. I "aged" it in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Just unwrapped it today and let it warm up on the counter.

The smokiness has mellowed significantly. The bacon and pecan flavors are much more prevalent. This stuff is really quite delicious.

Many thanks, pmad!

I guess I missed this first time around, but it looks darn delicious.

Back