Best chili powder? Opinions please

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
From 16Adams' chili thread, I was wondering what the good cooks here like in a chili powder or mix. Gebhardt's is pretty hard to find here.

Your thoughts?

Last bottle I got from Walmart..but am getting low and noticed they are no longer selling Gebhart.

So now I am looking too...may have to give a go at making my own.

Bottles for me:
No flour no sugar no msg no soy and Chili Pepper listed first on label.

Gebhardt-Mexene

In Packages :
Williams Non-salt and Sucklebusters $$$
And a product packaged called Morton's Chili Blend

For those of you familiar with it, what I'd like to get close to is either Charlie's Ale House chili from Chicago or Longhorn Steakhouse's. Both no beans, both delicious. Charlie's is more flavorful and has lots of peppers in it, but Longhorn's is the best commercial basic chili I know of. More meaty than tomatoey.

Last edited:
That looks great - and it has masa, which is required for me - bookmarked. Thanks!

I’m thinking about digging the coins out of the couch and buyin a pound of elk or buffalo

Exotic vintage chili. Deer/venison was used a lot back in the day.

Just cause

I've heard Mexene's Chili powder is supposed to pretty good. Haven't tried it though. I've tried several from Mild Bill's that were very good. San Antonio Original & Stockyard Special.

There's also another place the was fighting with Mild Bill's a few years ago, they sell a chili powder called MeeMaw's. Pretty crappy website, hasn't been updated in years. http://www.texmex.net/ Here's their feuding page http://www.texmex.net/press.htm

If you've never tried before, make your own Chili Powder. In Texas we have access to dried Chili peppers everywhere, but for those of you in other areas, these days it's easy to order dry peppers off of Amazon.

Start out with common dried peppers like Ancho, Guajillo, Anaheim, and Arbol. (Make your own ratio based on the heat level you enjoy) Get a big bowl, sit in front of the TV, and start breaking them in half to remove the seeds and stems. Toast the flesh on a sheet pan in a 400 degree oven for about twenty seconds, or when the edges start to curl. You can also toast them in a heavy skillet but be careful as they burn easily, and if that happens they will taste bitter. Cool for a few minutes and grind in an electric coffee grinder (I have one reserved just for spices).

The depth of flavor you get from grinding your own powder is incomparable to store bought spices. People will all want to know the secret to your awesome chili. It takes longer to make your own chili powder, but no comparison as far as flavor is concerned.

If you've never tried before, make your own Chili Powder. In Texas we have access to dried Chili peppers everywhere, but for those of you in other areas, these days it's easy to order dry peppers off of Amazon.

Start out with common dried peppers like Ancho, Guajillo, Anaheim, and Arbol. (Make your own ratio based on the heat level you enjoy) Get a big bowl, sit in front of the TV, and start breaking them in half to remove the seeds and stems. Toast the flesh on a sheet pan in a 400 degree oven for about twenty seconds, or when the edges start to curl. You can also toast them in a heavy skillet but be careful as they burn easily, and if that happens they will taste bitter. Cool for a few minutes and grind in an electric coffee grinder (I have one reserved just for spices).

The depth of flavor you get from grinding your own powder is incomparable to store bought spices. People will all want to know the secret to your awesome chili. It takes longer to make your own chili powder, but no comparison as far as flavor is concerned.
^^^^^^This!

If not an option, don't know if you can have any Hispanic markets of even a Hispanic spice section in a WalMart or grocery store. If you can find dry pods, go the toasting and grinding route.

The cheapy Walmart brand is decent. Dark color and deep flavor. Not much heat at all, but that's what I use for powdered or I buy the bags from the different spice distributors.

Bob

Last edited:
If you can find it.........

4575878e-6f59-418c-b421-2ac494101f89_1.643dc221c903502b5fdf5b67c12985ab.jpeg

Back