Do you cover your pit?

SO42N8

Reaction score
Many of the great pics I've seen are of peoples' cookers that are either under some sort of cover or rolled out of their garage when it's time to cook. There are very few (though they do exist) of people who keep their pits exposed to the elements. I'm curious if people who can't protect their pits inside a garage or under a roof cover them with a tarp or custom cover.

I've finally bit the bullet and decided to place an order on an LSG 24x40 (though I may change to the 24x48 before they can start the build in 3 months) and I'm trying to decide if I should invest in a cover. I've seen some youtube videos (Babyback maniac in TX) that suggest the LSG paint is very resilient and can stand up to the elements. I live in Virginia where we get snow and rain on a regular basis.

If you have a pit that lives outside, do you cover it? If you have an LSG offset smoker, do you feel like the paint is hardy enough to withstand rain and snow or would you recommend a tarp or vinyl cover?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

I am lucky enough to have a garage addition and a rubbermaid plastic shed. Not sure if you could swing a small plastic shed to store it in or perhaps a lean-to

I have always been of the mind set that the better you take care of your "Tools" the better they take care of you. I keep mine in a covered Patio here in Fl. because of high heat / sun, Humidity, and excessive amounts of rain No snow Thankfully!!, (but I grew up in Norfolk so I know).
My new to me B X 50 may be too big for the door, so I will build it it's own little storage unit after I am finished cleaning off the rust and re-painting, from the previous owner allowing the weather to get to it.
So yeah, if you can not put it "away" I would get the cover, worth it in the long run.

Not covered often. I live at 3700ft in a historically arid environment climate wise. In fact in the edge of highest drought classification and expected to be included shortly. Mine are seldom covered. I have covers-and if I know it’s going to GO Postal ie:rain hail sleet snow gloom of night and all that I will cover them. I keep my Black Stone 17” Griddle top inside the SOB and base unit inside patio Rubbermaid shed. Perhaps I would do it differently in a different climate however the sentence usually starts,” I took off my cover open the lid and found mold”. I also leave vents cracked for airflow

Last edited:
Any cover is better than no cover to protect your investment. Nothing defeats mother nature over time!

Mine are typically covered or kept in the garage. The LSG covers are expensive. I had one of their 20x42s and I cheaped out and bought a motorcycle cover instead of the LSG cover. The one I bought turned out to not actually be waterproof. The outside was fine but places on the inside were rusting. I had to take a wire brush to remove it. If I were spending that kind of money I would make sure I had a cover of some sort.

I got a cover for the OK Joe but am disappointed in that after about one year in the Florida sun/rain, etc. it has become very brittle and breaks/rips readily. I now have a cover with several gashes in it. Still use it though. I called Joe and was told that the result is to be expected (thank you very much).

I have too many cookers and not enough space. I keep my Hunsaker in the garage and a couple of grills on a small porch that is mostly covered. I keep a couple of pellet grills strategically stored in an area of my house.

The only two that have to face the elements are a kettle and my Lang 36. I live in the same dry area as Adams so neither of them really look like they have been hurt by being uncovered outside. I only paid $400 for the Lang. I think if I spent the money on a new LSG I would probably make other arrangements for storage.

I got a cover for the OK Joe but am disappointed in that after about one year in the Florida sun/rain, etc. it has become very brittle and breaks/rips readily. I now have a cover with several gashes in it. Still use it though. I called Joe and was told that the result is to be expected (thank you very much).

That’s happened to all of my covers in Louisiana too. A real pain in the butt. Ruined my Chargiller Akorn - it got brittle and had a small hidden tear where I couldn’t see it. Over the winter when it didn’t get used for a long time, it rained and filled the bottom section with water. Rusted the bottom part out, could no longer control temperatures.

Uncovered. Especially my LSG offset. At first I covered but I had more problems with it covered with condensation or moisture being trapped under the cover and causing rust. I haven't covered in years and have zero issues. I know Chris puts 3-4 coats of paint on the LSG's and it shows I have no rust issues other than the firebox of course.

Here she is at 5 years old when I repainted the firebox last year. 6 years old now and looks good as new

hxHZlizh.jpg

After the firebox repaint

TWc0GnFh.jpg

RqzpD7Xh.jpg

Literally day after the firebox repaint :laugh: Just covered the fb section since paint was new. Otherwise it stays under storms like this with no issues.

qTnzVARh.jpg

Last edited:
My Rec Tec, Primo and Blackstone are all covered. My LSG however lives outside uncovered.
I wipe it down every once in a while with oil and water. Its been outside exposed to the elements for over a year now without any issue. light rust on some other wear areas like the door hinges but nothing I'm worried about.

I do not cover it (despite buying the $200+ fitted cover) because I do not want the cover retaining moisture and rusting my smoker.

Covered for sure in the Florida sun. The CampChef cover for my flattop barely lasted a year. I have covers from https://www.the-cover-store.com/ . They seem to be pretty good. My Weber cover is almost 4 years old, UDS cover about 3, and recently replaced the flattop cover with one from there. And I got a generator cover from there too, but it's in the garage away from the sun. Got it to keep the dust off it. We'll see how long the Recteq cover last.

My grills/smokers keep my truck out in the driveway. Kind of sad....

Generally uncovered unless it's going to rain or snow. I'm in the process of having a new patio cover installed so my Smokefire and PK360 will live under that. My Weber performer will probably be covered since it will still be exposed. I also have a Rubbermaid storage container I keep my WSM in. We've had a dry summer so who knows how much snow we'll get his year.

Live north of you in Maryland.

My toys live in the garage and get wheeled out for cooks.

My BSK lived outdoors, covered, for a few years and the cart suffered significant rust even with a stock cover due to humidity.

This is all excellent advice! Thank you to everyone above. I agree with the posts that talk about protecting your investment. The LSGs are like Cadillacs and it would be a shame not to treat them well after spending the money. I often hear them described as, "My dream pit," and there's a good reason why. So much care and attention is paid in the manufacturing process (as there is with Shirley, Lang, Johnson and so many others).

I was not expecting to hear about condensation under the cover. THAT got my attention. I'm very glad I posted this question because now I'm aware of a possible pitfall I never new existed. That gives me pause.

The custom covers for an LSG 24x40 are not exactly cheap but are worth it if they will help maintain the pit for decades to come.

SSV3, your post is exactly what I was concerned about. I've heard the paint jobs on the LSGs are very well done and quite resilient. You've demonstrated this to be true and I appreciate that a lot.

When my new pit arrives (probably January) I think I will spring for the cover to protect it from the snow here in the metropolitan DC area. However, when the humidity starts to rise, as winter turns to spring, I think I'll put the cover away and leave the pit exposed, trying to prevent the condensation I know would occur in our humid summers. I'll know not to be afraid of a little rain, especially with a 6 year track record on SSV3's offset cabinet!

The gravity and pellet stay under the porch roof when not in use. My offset is out in the elements but it is a converted propane tank so the weather doesn't bother it. I do put a bucket over the stack to keep the rain out.

Back