MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #16
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

My grills/smokers keep my truck out in the driveway. Kind of sad....
WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #17
NoCoPk360
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Fred

Generally uncovered unless it's going to rain or snow. I'm in the process of having a new patio cover installed so my Smokefire and PK360 will live under that. My Weber performer will probably be covered since it will still be exposed. I also have a Rubbermaid storage container I keep my WSM in. We've had a dry summer so who knows how much snow we'll get his year.
NoCoPk360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #18
pokeable
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : T

Live north of you in Maryland.

My toys live in the garage and get wheeled out for cooks.

My BSK lived outdoors, covered, for a few years and the cart suffered significant rust even with a stock cover due to humidity.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:16 PM   #19
SO42N8
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Peter
Red face

This is all excellent advice! Thank you to everyone above. I agree with the posts that talk about protecting your investment. The LSGs are like Cadillacs and it would be a shame not to treat them well after spending the money. I often hear them described as, "My dream pit," and there's a good reason why. So much care and attention is paid in the manufacturing process (as there is with Shirley, Lang, Johnson and so many others).

I was not expecting to hear about condensation under the cover. THAT got my attention. I'm very glad I posted this question because now I'm aware of a possible pitfall I never new existed. That gives me pause.

The custom covers for an LSG 24x40 are not exactly cheap but are worth it if they will help maintain the pit for decades to come.

SSV3, your post is exactly what I was concerned about. I've heard the paint jobs on the LSGs are very well done and quite resilient. You've demonstrated this to be true and I appreciate that a lot.

When my new pit arrives (probably January) I think I will spring for the cover to protect it from the snow here in the metropolitan DC area. However, when the humidity starts to rise, as winter turns to spring, I think I'll put the cover away and leave the pit exposed, trying to prevent the condensation I know would occur in our humid summers. I'll know not to be afraid of a little rain, especially with a 6 year track record on SSV3's offset cabinet!

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-03-2020, 08:09 PM   #20
Turkey Shack
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : BEN

The gravity and pellet stay under the porch roof when not in use. My offset is out in the elements but it is a converted propane tank so the weather doesn't bother it. I do put a bucket over the stack to keep the rain out.

Old 10-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #21
JWFokker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Anon

Under a porch roof, with covers in case the rain blows in. Garage or shed would be ideal though. Keeps them cleaner even if you don't get much rain.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2020, 07:57 AM   #22
billbek

Name/Nickname : They call me....Bill

I bought an extra large bbq cover from the Home Despot. Was cheap, only about $20 CAD and it fits the Tejas 2040 well. The stack slips off the 2040 so the standard cover seems to be doing a good job. Will see how long it lasts, but for only 20 bucks I don't really care.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #23
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

I cover my gas grill, but the PK is aluminum and sits under the pavilion roof. The Open Range lives in the garage.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:32 AM   #24
BlueHaze

Name/Nickname : Indy

My pellet grill and wsm stay on the back porch under the roof. No snow here. Just a lot of humidity.
BlueHaze is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #25
VanSteel
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Van

My offset is uncovered. My BGE is covered. It doesn't rain enough here in Texas for me to really worry about it, and I use it too often to be fiddling with a cover several days a week.
VanSteel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #26
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

My offset is uncovered except for a patio roof. Having had covers in the past and knowing firsthand about the condensation issues I'll never use one again. My LSG pit looks great after four years of exposure. The insulated firebox does help in that regard. I did a minor touch-up on the counterweight bar after a couple years - seems like that didn't get the same number of coats as the rest.

My vote - uncovered and ready to go on a moments notice.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:23 AM   #27
SO42N8
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsmkmstr View Post
My vote - uncovered and ready to go on a moments notice.
Gotta be lightning fast ready for that 18 hour cook! LOL

Old 10-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #28
SonVolt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SonVolt

Been sitting in the rain, snow, sun and cold for 15 years. I kind of like the patina.

SonVolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #29
Jlems
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

I always cover here in Michigan. Nothing lasts since we get roughly 6 months of continuous clouds, rain, snow (kind of exaggerating, kind of not). My friend often thinks I keep getting new equipment because his is deteriorating, but it's the covers. I replace them every two years or so. Which is fine.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:21 PM   #30
ferdelious

Name/Nickname : Matt

It's kind of must do in FL with all the summer rain and humidity. I bought a nice cover from Costco for my Brazos, it's help up great.

Thanks from: --->

Tags
lone star grillz offset, LSG, maintenance