MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #6751
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

Oh that would have cost them a sale if I'd known that when I bought mine...
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #6752
CeramicChef
Full Fledged Farker

I'm not trying to be a smart Alec or start a fight, but why is it disappointing that PBC isn't manufactured here in the US?

Is the diamond on your wife's left hand manufactured here in America? Most likely it was dug up in Africa, went through Amsterdam to be graded and cut, sent to deBeers in London, mounted in some jewelry shop in NYC, and then sent to whatever store you bought it in. Did that make any difference to you when you and your Bride-to-be decided on it and you plunked down the money?

Anyone here work for a foreign chartered company? I bet you have the cash put in the bank every payday and I bet your 401(k) sponsored by the company consists of a,lot of company stock.

I buy products that best serve my need at the best possible price. I'm a value shopper. Seems to me that the PBC is a great value no matter where it's manufactured. The money stays here in the US according to the email quoted.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #6753
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

At the end of the day it's about dollars and sense. We all know that Noah got screwed a couple years ago when he tried to manufacture them here in Cali. Maybe he got fed up and just outsourced them.

On the bright side I'm now an owner of the "Made in USA" PBC With the horseshoe stand.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #6754
Mrshaunyd
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeramicChef View Post
I'm not trying to be a smart Alec or start a fight, but why is it disappointing that PBC isn't manufactured here in the US?

Is the diamond on your wife's left hand manufactured here in America? Most likely it was dug up in Africa, went through Amsterdam to be graded and cut, sent to deBeers in London, mounted in some jewelry shop in NYC, and then sent to whatever store you bought it in. Did that make any difference to you when you and your Bride-to-be decided on it and you plunked down the money?

Anyone here work for a foreign chartered company? I bet you have the cash put in the bank every payday and I bet your 401(k) sponsored by the company consists of a,lot of company stock.

I buy products that best serve my need at the best possible price. I'm a value shopper. Seems to me that the PBC is a great value no matter where it's manufactured. The money stays here in the US according to the email quoted.
What do you have against american made items?

Old 07-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #6755
Mrshaunyd
Knows what a fatty is.

And to why its dissapointing was just because it has always been my understanding it was american made. I still said it was a solid cooker, and im not running out to send it back.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #6756
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Ok folks, yes it's disappointing but let's not get too twisted up about it. Hopefully the new PBC's are of the same quality. That would be my main concern. It's hard to find a cooker these days that is made in the USA. Even some of weber's products are manufactured in other countries. Let's not forget that we are still supporting an American veteran. Honestly that is more important to me than where the cooker is made. I served in the Air Force (retired) though so I may feel different about that support than so of you and thats ok......
PBC is basically a small family owned business. I've spoken to Noah a few times (as have many of you) and I can assure you he didn't make the change without thinking long and hard about it. I'm sure if and when it becomes more feesable and cost effective to make them in the USA again he will!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #6757
talls6
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

So I did my 4th cook in 8 days yesterday. Decided to try a Chuck roast as they were on sale at the local Store. It was 2.83 Lbs, I sprinkled with PBC's Beef and Game rub, Hooked into the PBC for 2.5 hrs, pulled at 160 degrees, foiled with a bit of beef broth and then on until it hit 195. Wrapped in a towel and put in a cooler for about 40 minutes while the Potatoes finished. I felt it was a bit salty, which might have been from the broth. Flavor was good and it stayed pretty juicy, but not as much as I had hoped for. Considering it was my first attempt at Beef at anytime in my smoking career I will consider it a success. I did have a dip in the barrel temp (down to 245) about 3 hours in. I cracked the lid and it shot back up to 310 and held for the rest of the cook. As always comments and reviews are welcome.
Darren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBQ ch6.jpg (48.7 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg BBQ ch5.JPG (90.4 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg BBQ ch3.JPG (84.6 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg BBQ ch1.jpg (45.9 KB, 347 views)
talls6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #6758
Mrshaunyd
Knows what a fatty is.

On another note definately need the foldout grate and the hanger, this week so i can do ribs and asparagus

Old 07-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #6759
CeramicChef
Full Fledged Farker

talls6 - now that BBQ done right! Very nicely done. Kudos to ya.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #6760
talls6

Thanks CeramicChef. Still trying to learn a few things, but at least my wife is enjoying my practice.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #6761
jjjonz
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshaunyd View Post
I actually just got an email back from sales that these are no longer made in the USA which is a bit dissapointing. That said my first cook went great.

Please say it an't so !!!!

Old 07-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #6762
talls6

Ok everyone, In my flurry of cooks these past 10 days, my neighbor has decided that I am the worlds best smoker/cooker. He said he has a "huge" brisket that he didn't know what to do with and decided that I should cook it on my PBC. Well found out the huge brisket is around 5lbs. My question is for you veterans, is how long should I anticipate for this cook? I know every piece of meat cooks differently so a general ballpark will be fine.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give to me on time or other tips. I need to keep up my new found reputation......
Darren

Old 07-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #6763
fleihr
On the road to being a farker

talls that is a sexy smoke ring on that meat

Old 07-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #6764
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by talls6 View Post
Ok everyone, In my flurry of cooks these past 10 days, my neighbor has decided that I am the worlds best smoker/cooker. He said he has a "huge" brisket that he didn't know what to do with and decided that I should cook it on my PBC. Well found out the huge brisket is around 5lbs. My question is for you veterans, is how long should I anticipate for this cook? I know every piece of meat cooks differently so a general ballpark will be fine.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give to me on time or other tips. I need to keep up my new found reputation......
Darren
Lots of variables. Generally the wisdom says if you smoke at 225, unwrapped, it's 1.5 hours/lb.

As the PBC cooks hotter and most people on this site suggest wrapping with butcher paper...I would smoke unwrapped for about 2-3 hours...until it hits an internal temp of 160 or so(entering the stall) then wrap in butcher paper...won't take long after that to probe tender...maybe an hour. Just make sure you use time as a guideline. Probe tender in the thickest part means it's done.

Let it rest in a cooler for an hour before you slice.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #6765
Kikaida
On the road to being a farker

I know there's a lot of people ready to defend PBC at the drop of a hat. Simple question...Would you trade your U.S. built PBC for a "Made in China" one? Then how can you expect potential owners not to be disappointed? For sure rethinking this purchase. Would love for PBC to chime in here. You out there? Would much rather have a made in Mexico one....and maybe that's the case?
-
You just need to look at a modern Craftsman tool box and the cheap flimsy metal...now compare it to your dads Craftsman took box that was made in America. Outsourcing is typically good for the company but usually bad for the consumer. Rooting for ya, PBC...honest feedback like this will hopefully factor into your future success.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it