MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #5281
Todd S
Got Wood.

The beast took 6 1/2 hours. Came out fantastic. Forgot pics right out of the smoker. I took the pic with my hand in it for reference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0070.jpg (50.3 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0072.jpg (77.1 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0073.jpg (39.2 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0074.jpg (92.0 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0075.jpg (59.6 KB, 335 views)
Todd S is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-24-2016, 03:44 PM   #5282
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Happy Thanksgiving my PBC brethren!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-24-2016, 09:45 PM   #5283
Repeater
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Mine came out great, but it cooked in even. The breast over the hot coals was 157 and the breast over the cold side was pale and at 150 so I put it in the oven at 400 till it read 157 and let it rest. Came out great. I think I need a mini chimney so I can dump my coals in the center. With the Webber chimney they all get dumped on the far side of the vent and don't end up lighting any of the bricks on the other side.
Repeater is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #5284
Magichelmt
Knows what a fatty is.

What a day. My uncle loved my practice bird a few weeks ago and asked me to do the turkey today. I told him to have a defrosted bird 13-15 pounds at my house by 8 am. He calls and says he has a 23 pounder seasoned up and ready to smoke. Now I'm pissed because I have no idea how long it will take. I started the fire at 7 this morning. Bird was cooking by 7:30 am. At noon I check the temps and I'm only at 120*. 3pm I'm finally happy with my bird. 7.5 hours in the PBC on royal oak lump. The bird had good color,but not the crispy skin. Load her up in the van to the family dinner we go. This bird was the delicious. There was nothing left on this turkey. You CAN cook a monster turkey, but give yourself plenty of time.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #5285
northeast bbqer
Full Fledged Farker

Nice looking bird Magichelmt.
northeast bbqer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #5286
dcimike125
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Haven't been around that much lately. Work commitments, working on the house getting my snow removal equip ready for winter and the 86 IROC that my son bought have consumed a lot of my time. Getting a posi V8 road worthy for a 21 year old takes a lot. He doesn't know it but I dropped a restrictor plate under the carb.

As I work every Thanksgiving, I shipped the wife and kids up to Sea Biscuit's (my mother in law) house Thursday. We did our holiday dinner tonight.

This was the 3rd turkey I've done on the PBC and the results were consistently delicious. No pics - see below. I've smoked birds on kettle's, offset's, gasser's and deep fat fryers with very inconsistent results, but 3 in a row on the PBC says something! Dropped the bird in, tuned to the Auburn-Alabama game (Roll Tide TuscaloosaQ), jumped into the hot tub to watch the game and let my iPhone go for a soak as well (reason why there are no pics).

So, the game ended, the iGrill sounded and the turkey came out.

Anyway, Bama won and I won according the my wife. Great day and great meal.
Smoker Inspector for the good of man

Brisketologist , Doctor of Brisketology (Ph.B)
Pit Barrel Cooker (Chesty Puller)
OK Joe Highland (Black Throated Wind)
Weber 22" Kettle (Ma Kettle)
Yeti cooler stocked with Miller High Life
dcimike125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2016, 06:53 AM   #5287
Magichelmt
Knows what a fatty is.

Ok we had our second thanksgiving dinner with the other side of the family yesterday. I had a nice 14 pound bird ready to go. Cajun injected, salt, pepper, & garlic on the outside. Yesterday's problem was the 10-15 mph winds blowing all day. I ended up using my grill as a wind blocker. This was the best of the 3 birds I have smoked. I love turkey. My buddy was busting my balls because I was planning on cooking soo many birds this month I gave him a plate and he apologized. I read so many threads on turkey here trying to learn. Wife asked for turkey for Xmas. I may try that patiodaddio bribe on that one. Thanks for all the info.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #5288
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Great work Magichelmt!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #5289
JustJim
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default My First Smoked Turkey

Have not been able to smoke much lately. Cooked a ham for Thanksgiving Day.
Kroger gave away free turkeys if you bought one of their spiral sliced hams, which I wanted anyway. Think it was almost 13 lbs. Nothing fancy, just plain bird.
Have never smoked a turkey before so decided to do that this weekend.
Brined the turkey overnight in a cooler and put the bird in the PBC about 12:30. Was done in three hours.
Was incredibly tender and juicy, good smoke flavor, but not crispy skin, even with cracking the lid for the last 30 mins.
I let it rest for a bit but I think I carved it too soon, as it really came apart on me.
Did not want pix of the butcher job. We enjoyed it anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turkey1a.jpg (29.9 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg Turkey3a.jpg (96.6 KB, 245 views)

Old 11-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #5290
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

I think we've come to the conclusion that if you brine the skin won't get crispy. It's hard to get crispy turkey skin anyway on a smoked turkey, but brining adds water to the skin. Try drying it for a day or two after brining or don't brine but inject instead.
Nice looking turkey though!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #5291
luberconn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Lou

did 2 14lb birds and another round of ABTs. :)

Old 11-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #5292
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Turkey breast were on sale so I grabbed one to freeze. Anyone done just a breast? Any idea how long it would take? Just shy of 3lbs

Old 11-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #5293
wormy
is one Smokin' Farker

Luberconn is really putting that PBC through its paces. Nice work and it looks great
wormy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #5294
Gnolydnar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealStBBQKing View Post
Turkey breast were on sale so I grabbed one to freeze. Anyone done just a breast? Any idea how long it would take? Just shy of 3lbs
I cooked and 8.5 pound bone-in breast last week. It cooked to 165 degrees in a little over 3 hours. I used Kingsford Original with a few chunks of peach wood for smoke. It was mighty fine. The cook was much faster than expected though.
Gnolydnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #5295
TallBoyBBQ
Got Wood.

Howdy,

well it's been about 9 months since I last posted. My 15 month old and my business have kept me very busy. Just wanted to wish the Brethren a happy holiday season. Glad to see this thread still on the front page.

Despite my limited activity here on the forum I have been going strong with the PBC. I Have switched to a full lump set-up, and I have to say I much prefer the flavor. Not that the Briq was bad by any means, I just feel there is a little more nuance and complexity to the lump's smoke. Regulating temp has been a little tricky with my patented PBC temperature regulator AKA an old glove stuffed in the intake. it hasn't been too bad but I do wish there was a Weber like vent for those really low and slow sessions.

I know so many people rave about the chicken on the PBC, and for good reason, but my god this thing cranks out the best ribs. It has gotten to the point that when I fire the PBC up half of the neighborhood ends up just "popping in" which makes me feel pretty good because we actually have a very good BBQ joint INSIDE our neighborhood.

One thing I did want to ask is if any of you leave the PBC uncovered outdoors. I usually pull it into the shed but haven't lately just because of how much I have been using it. I knows it's very well constructed but wanted to make sure I'm not going to ruin it over the winter if I get too lazy.
TallBoyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it