• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Now that we straightened out Noah's business affairs for him lets get back to cooking discussions again. :becky:

Who else cooks fish in their PBC? Better yet what have you guys cooked out of the norm or outside the box in yer barrels?

I love fish in the barrel

Wild caught red snapper and branzino

eBfmRsbh.jpg

frISzeMh.jpg

More wild caught branzino

bRw814mh.jpg

T3lOXWNh.jpg

977wrW8h.jpg

Mua41hCh.jpg

Delicious!

UiNKUPbh.jpg

Once again you take it to the next level Sako. I only cook salmon on mine. This was cooked by my son-in-law last weekend on his PBC:

Looks great Bob! Oddly enough I haven't cooked salmon on mine yet I suppose due to preferring whole wild caught fish as opposed to filets. A very close friend swears by the salmon he did on a plank in the PBC. He says it's the best salmon he's ever had. I'll give it a shot on of these days.
Once again you take it to the next level Sako. I only cook salmon on mine. This was cooked by my son-in-law last weekend on his PBC:

Now that we straightened out Noah's business affairs for him lets get back to cooking discussions again. :becky:

Who else cooks fish in their PBC? Better yet what have you guys cooked out of the norm or outside the box in yer barrels?

I love fish in the barrel

I regularly cook salmon on the PBC, did some last night as a matter of fact. I use a grilling pan for fish which works especially well now that I can raise the charcoal basket to within 5" of the grate.

Never tried hanging whole fish, but your pics have me wanting to head to the gulf or local fish market to get some.

I regularly cook salmon on the PBC, did some last night as a matter of fact. I use a grilling pan for fish which works especially well now that I can raise the charcoal basket to within 5" of the grate.

Never tried hanging whole fish, but your pics have me wanting to head to the gulf or local fish market to get some.

Def try hanging whole fish. Depending on the fish I hook through the spine right behind the head. Has worked fine so far. I like hanging fish because it's easier to take off the grill and doesn't fall apart when it's a delicate fish. It's quite delicious with a moist inside and crispy skin.

What interest I have in the PBC lies in the fact that it was made in the USA.
I've followed this thread, partly for the high quality of the cooks, but also because I'd like a cooker that I could cook larger quantities of food on in one cooker.
Anyone who has frequented this site is familiar with the posts involving the lower longevity of pits of Chinese manufacture. Qualities of steel don't always exhibit themselves in just a few months.
Anyone who has followed my posts knows that I own two Weber daisy wheel kettles, one a 1979. I've owned, and cooked on even more cookers belonging to others, a number of imported grills. None of them are still around. All of our cooling racks in our kitchen are from those rusted out grills.
Add in the documented labor abuses in China, and my interest in this product has diminished.
I know, I'm just one person.

Mother nature is causing me to postpone my second cook to sunday and it sucks

man, do you question everything your purchase to this extent? i couldn't live in constant worry of lead being on everything i buy that has a painted finish.

Do you have children?
I cannot speak for him, but I, personally, check the labels of what I purchase for it's origin. Labor issues aside, quality of items manufactured overseas can figure into the wisdom of a purchase. For example, my wife was quite excited two weeks ago about cooking a pasta dinner she was preparing using shrimp that it turned out was imported. When thawed, it turned into a pink mush. I took it back to Krogers the next day, they refunded the price, but her dish was ruined.

Do you have children?
I cannot speak for him, but I, personally, check the labels of what I purchase for it's origin. Labor issues aside, quality of items manufactured overseas can figure into the wisdom of a purchase. For example, my wife was quite excited two weeks ago about cooking a pasta dinner she was preparing using shrimp that it turned out was imported. When thawed, it turned into a pink mush. I took it back to Krogers the next day, they refunded the price, but her dish was ruined.

i do fairly extensive research before major purchases but not to the extent of worrying if lead is in the paint on a bbq because there has been lead in paint in toys in the past.

i mean isn't it pretty obvious and common sense that most people don't want something that is of crap quality or is going to poison us?

as far as your shrimp goes. sounds like it was cheap shrimp. not because it was imported or frozen. i mean you could probably get shrimp imported from Greece or South America, and it could possibly be the best shrimp you've ever had.

Def try hanging whole fish. Depending on the fish I hook through the spine right behind the head. Has worked fine so far. I like hanging fish because it's easier to take off the grill and doesn't fall apart when it's a delicate fish. It's quite delicious with a moist inside and crispy skin.

I use frog mats when i do fish in the PBC. Allows the smoke through but keeps,it from sticking or falling apart.

Yup sun shining, not a drop of rain and i ate hotdogs on my table top instead of pbc chicken. Thank you weather.com

Attachments

• 20170712_175917.jpg
    20170712_175917.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
You guys have inspired me so much I have built my own PBC this week.

Used an old free oildrum, burnt it in twice with big fires overnight.
Installed the hardware and did a dry run with my ThermaQ probes to see the temps. I was amazed at the length of time that this thing can go on one batch of charcoal briquettes. I used a 5kg bag (11 pounds) and started the cooker up at 17:00. Next morning at 07:00 it was still on temp. At about lunch the temps started dropping despite max airflow throught the bottom vents.

Doing some pork ribs for my first run. Here are some pics:
beed3cc4fcd7719e9d38999c7b19099d.jpg

3bbbb57a7bce25196e2dd57809936407.jpg

18d2046f7da31d18e1626cb3f28700f9.jpg

1b3dddb136c7e7f59ae69e9033d0c527.jpg

ea0179f8dd07a0f8a38e95ade7764364.jpg

You guys have inspired me so much I have built my own PBC this week.

Used an old free oildrum, burnt it in twice with big fires overnight.
Installed the hardware and did a dry run with my ThermaQ probes to see the temps. I was amazed at the length of time that this thing can go on one batch of charcoal briquettes. I used a 5kg bag (11 pounds) and started the cooker up at 17:00. Next morning at 07:00 it was still on temp. At about lunch the temps started dropping despite max airflow throught the bottom vents.

Doing some pork ribs for my first run. Here are some pics:

Looks like you did a great job but what you made was a UDS not a PBC.

There's a thread that you may find helpful with lots of tips and tweaks. There are some guys in this forum who really know their stuff. Check it out: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a pit Barrel cooker. I read some of the pages but I didn't see it. How many chunks of wood do you ad and if you ad to much won't it raise the temp to much. Thanks

I didn't take a lot of pictures this time but I cooked a whole turkey (17 pounder) and it turned out good. A tad bit dryer then i would have liked but definitely great flavor. I did not brine and the next time I will probably do that to see what difference it makes. Took about 7 hours.

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a pit Barrel cooker. I read some of the pages but I didn't see it. How many chunks of wood do you ad and if you ad to much won't it raise the temp to much. Thanks

Welcome to the PBC fun Mike!

We usually do 3-4 wood chunks. It shouldn't affect your temp any. You may like cooking without any wood at all as many PBC owners do. The smoke flavor they get comes from the juices dripping in the coals creating a smoke that flavors the meat. I think if you used too much wood your biggest issue would be an over smoked/dirty smoked flavor. If I were you, I'd cook with no wood first and then add wood every cook after until you find a flavor you like.

Back