Lamb Rack Temperature

Smoky Smoke

Reaction score
Hello folks, I was wondering what the internal temperature should be for a well-done rack of lamb. Some at home like their meat well-done (absolutely no pink in the middle). My plan is to smoke the chops (from Costco) @ 250 until mine hit 115-120 and sear them and pull them off at 135 IT. What about the rest? Should I cook them until 130-140 and then sear them? I don't want them to be too dry or overcooked but don't want them to have a pink center either.

Thanks for your help.

Hello folks, I was wondering what the internal temperature should be for a well-done rack of lamb. Some at home like their meat well-done (absolutely no pink in the middle). My plan is to smoke the chops (from Costco) @ 250 until mine hit 115-120 and sear them and pull them off at 135 IT. What about the rest? Should I cook them until 130-140 and then sear them? I don't want them to be too dry or overcooked but don't want them to have a pink center either.

Thanks for your help.

I’d go to 150F.. there might be a blush of pink, but it shouldn’t be dry.

I'm no lamb expert but that sounds like a tough balancing act. Good luck with whatever you come up with.

Cook em to mid rare and do the Prime Rib trick. Cook in a pan with some beef stock. They'll turn grey, but won't be over cooked.

I feel for you brother.

As such, not offering advice except that you should cook yours the way you like them and then you take the overcooked ones and throw them in the trash.

Then next time you do it, don't waste your money on a loin. Smoke a whole shoulder for 7 hours or so and pull it. Much better result for all.

Cheers!

Bill

Back