how many of you are fixing cabbage tommorow?

C

Chavo27

I know I sure am just don't know with what yet, thought I'd browse around on here for ideas :biggrin:

this isn't bad tried this at Christmas

Ingredients

1 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon white sugar
6 slices bacon
5 tablespoons corn bread mix
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and julienned
salt and pepper to taste
Directions

Place the shredded cabbage into a large bowl, and sprinkle the sugar over it. This will remove the excess water from the cabbage. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside, reserving grease in skillet.
In a small bowl, mix together the cornbread mix and cayenne pepper. Stir into the cabbage until well blended. In the skillet the bacon was cooked in, saute onion and jalapeno in the hot bacon grease until tender. Stir in cabbage, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the cabbage wilts, about 15 minutes. Stir in crumbled bacon, and serve immediately.

Is tomorrow national cabbage day? :mrgreen:

We always have a big dish of baked Kielbasa and Kraut in keeping with my wife's Polish heritage, so I guess that's our form of cabbage. I usually try to smoke some spares to go along with the sausage, but this year Santa brought us both a case of the plague for Christmas, so we're layin' low and resting up just tryin' to make midnight tonight.

Cheers to all and best wishes for a bountiful 2010!

Smothered cabbage as well as black eye peas on the menu for tomorrow.

Smothered cabbage, blackeyed peas w/ smoked hocks in it here too! I need all the luck & wealth I can get!
Oh, I forgot....I eat my blackeyes over rice!

Corned beef , cabbage, & salt pork potatoes. Assorted adult beverages.

I put together the SplattSlaw recipe off this site a couple of hours ago. 20plus marinating hours to go with my 10 hour smoked turkey!

One slow cooker. One pound sour kraut. One pound kielbassi, about 4 thick country ribs, and a bottle of dark beer. 8 hours later with mashed taters, nothing better.

Cabbage cooked in fried bacon, ham, and sweet caramelized onions, blackeyed peas cooked with ham shanks, okra and other good stuff, fried pork chops, and buttermilk cornbread. Don't know what I'll fix for dessert yet.

Happy New Year All!
Danny

We had Kielbasa, 3 different types of pierogis and my mom's sour kraut with brown sugar and bacon for dinner tonight. Does that count?

This is a very simple recipe; Sauté sliced mushrooms and finely chopped shallots or onions. Add chopped cabbage. Add chicken or veg. stock, add sherry, port, or Marsala, and cook until tender, s and p to taste.

Yep, actually gonna do cabbage rolls the we had at Christmas, neighbors Grandmother recipe that she shared and a loaf of Pecan and Blue Cheese bread to go with it!

Back