need help with a catering gig

U

ulikadawgs

I was just approached about cooking for 150 people. They want pulled pork, 1/4 chickens, hamburgers, and hot dogs. I also need to make 4 sides beans, chips, corn, and potato salad. Can anyone offer some help on how I should figure out my cost? They want about half pork and half hamburgers with some chicken and hot dogs thrown in.

Thats a complicated first cook!

You asked about figuring your cost? do you mean how much of each you will need to buy? Cost is easy. Just look at the price tags at the grocery store.
Amount you need to buy is a little trickier. How many people plan on eating hot dogs and burgers? are they just for the kids? A pound of COOKED pork will make 4 average size sandwiches, but you need to allow for shrinkage of the RAW meat ( about 40% with pork). Do they get a 1/4 chicken AND a pork sandwich or do they have to choose just one? If they get both, plan only one sandwich per serving. If they have to choose one type of meat, then plan on 2 sandwiches per serving.

1/2 hamburgers sounds like alot to me. Once they see and smell that pulled pork they will forget all about the hamburgers, even the younger kids seem to like pulled pork over hamburgers.

As far as side dishes go figure 1/4 cup or 4oz per serving. You will probably end up with leftovers but its better to have alittle too much than not enough.

Good luck!

I agree with Midnight. This is WAY too complicated. I think somebody needs to tell you EXACTLY what they expect. Most folks who eat a 1/4 chicken, won't eat anything else. Do they mean each plate will be "half" pork and "half" hamburger? If so, you need 150 burgers. Do they mean "half" of the people will eat pork, and "half" will eat burgers? if so, you need 75 burgers. They should be able to clarify.
Off the cuff, I would say:

75 lbs pork (1 lb raw per person)
25 lbs hamburger (1/3 lb burgers)
25 dogs (buy these bulk at GFS)
25 chicken quarters
1/2 cup each beans and potato salad per person
200 hamburger buns (cheap ones work best)

Don't forget to figure the cost of :
foil pans
propane
wood
place settings
sauce
foil

I figure that you are covered more than adequately at $6.00/person. I would at least double that for the price. Good luck! Woody

For four meats and 4 sides, I would be charging in the area of $17/person. Don't forget you have to charge for your most valuable asset. Your time!

Don't forget though BM, :

1) each person is not getting 4 meats
2) he is in Tennessee, you are in California!

ulikadawgs said:
I was just approached about cooking for 150 people. They want pulled pork, 1/4 chickens, hamburgers, and hot dogs. I also need to make 4 sides beans, chips, corn, and potato salad. Can anyone offer some help on how I should figure out my cost? They want about half pork and half hamburgers with some chicken and hot dogs thrown in.

You got some good advice on the meat issue. IMO 4 sides is too many, especially for a first cater but having said that, folks are going to eat about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of sides each. I figure that 5 quarts of beans will feed about 25 people and about the same for tater salad. Chips and corn I dont have any experience with cept for corn-on-the-cob in the summer, then I plan on 2 per.
Its been said before .... better to be lookin at it than lookin for it.

Don't forget to figure the cost of :
foil pans
propane
wood
place settings
sauce
foil

Woodman - what is this "propane" you mentioned?

BrooklynQ said:
Woodman - what is this "propane" you mentioned?

Well, you know, for catering it is allowed! I've got 480,000 btu's worth of burners on that thing!:wink:

NorthernQ said:
You got some good advice on the meat issue. IMO 4 sides is too many, especially for a first cater but having said that, folks are going to eat about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of sides each. I figure that 5 quarts of beans will feed about 25 people and about the same for tater salad. Chips and corn I dont have any experience with cept for corn-on-the-cob in the summer, then I plan on 2 per.
Its been said before .... better to be lookin at it than lookin for it.

Nice site ya got there Pete! Looks like you and I are livin a dream? Woodman

thanks for all the help. I am going to ask them to cut out the burgers and just go with pork, chicken and dogs. It's looking like it will come out to be about $17 per person with some of the extras that they want.

Make sure you make up some flyers , even if you just do them on "Word". Give them out if you don't have any cards! Good luck and have fun! Woodman

What are other catering companies charging for something like this? Is labor part of the cost? $17 seems awfully high for those items. they are not even high cost items like ribs. What kind of party is it? what type of people? mostly men, mostly women, older people, you need to know what kind of people in order to figure out how much to fix. Are they eating all at once or scattered throughout the day,

well it might be a little less but I am figuring in all the utensils, condiments, bread, ice cream, etc. I think it would be less per person if they did away with the hamburgers as well. I am marking it up pretty good but I know they have the budget.

So far you have gotten some great advice. The largest gig I help out with is around 250 people, 25% of which are kids. It is a freebie (no charge) put on by a broker friend of mine for clients and family, so I don't have a clue about money and profits, etc. I think this is the 10th or 11th year, here is what I have learned. Just my $.02 as we are still learnin'

The tables are set up so the serving line is on one side only. We use small and medium plates and small bowls. This makes the line move faster and controls portions & waste. Big eaters can just take two plates or make a second trip.

Sides are the first thing in the serving line. Chips, beans, tater salad & coleslaw. A selection of buns and white Texas Toast is next.

After that we have "kids food" as in a roaster of sloppy joe style ground beef and a warming roaster with grilled hot dogs. Easy, and the kids love them. Usually the little kids bail out of the line at this point.

Then we have chicken, but only drumsticks, because they are easy to cook, they stay moist in the holding tray and they have a built in handle.

Then we have a table where 2 of us are giving samples, slicing meats to order or dishing up the pulled pork for either a plate or a sandwich. A minimum of two sauces are in squeeze bottles. This table is right in front of the smoker, so we can rotate products and keep things warm. What it really does is give us time to show off a little while explaining the lo-n-slo cooking process, the wood flavor, the various meats and sauces. It gives people the warm fuzzy feeling and makes them feel special. We also remind them that we have some go-boxes if there are any leftovers. We mix drinks or have our beer in insulated mugs, so we're not openly drinking in front of the guests. We use those disposable food serving gloves and we keep the cutting boards spotless.

Sweets like cookies or brownies are at the end.

Coolers of beer and soft drinks are the last thing in line.

Garbage barrels are everywhere.

Good luck on your Barbecue!

The Woodman said:
Nice site ya got there Pete! Looks like you and I are livin a dream? Woodman

Funny thing .... I've got yours bookmarked, you're doing pretty well yourself, nice site back atcha.
Yeah I guess living the dream is right, mine is a semi retirement business. We got a really short season here May to Sept, but its really busy. Kind of like having the rest of the year off.
Just happy to have something to keep me going.
What are your goals?

Pete, I just want to supplement my income and do 5-15 jobs a year. That subsidizes my eqyuipment and allows me to do a few comps. The money is good and the praise and attention are great! Lets face it, that is really why any of us do this!

Back