Pico De Gallo

tommykendall

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
As temperatures across North America continue to warm up, many of us place more cold foods into our diets. The following are ingredients for a dynamite pico de gallo that I concocted after trying ones with less ingredients. I don't provide measurements for a few reasons - I never measured them; am constantly changing the size of batches; some folks like more of one ingredient over another. Use all diced fresh ingredients...

Red Tomatoes
Tomatillos
Cucumber
Jalapeno or Serrano
Red Onion
Mango
Avocado
Cilantro
Lime juice
Pepper

This is great on fish tacos, covered over grilled fish, and shrimp tostadas. Some may consider this more of a mango salsa. I call it pico de gallo - you call it WTF you want. :cool:

Last edited:
tommykendall said:
As temperatures across North America continue to warm up, many up us place more cold foods into our diets. The following are ingredients for a dynamite pico de gallo that I concocted after trying ones with less ingredients. I don't provide measurements for a few reasons - I never measured them; am constantly changing the size of batches; some folks like more of one ingredient over another. Use all diced fresh ingredients...

Red Tomatoes
Tomatillos
Cucumber
Jalapeno or Serrano
Red Onion
Mango
Avocado
Cilantro
Lime juice
Pepper

This is great on fish tacos, covered over grilled fish, and shrimp tostadas. Some may consider this more of a mango salsa. I call it pico de gallo - you call it WTF you want. :cool:

At least it doesn't have tofu in it....:roll:

I've got some tilapia in the freezer I've been thinking about grilling soon. Fish tacos it is.

willkat98 said:
Do you de-seed the peppers?

(I already know what to do with the Avocado pit)

Is it for you or the family? In my version I chop a few whole, and seed the rest. With the mango and other stuff TK has though you might get away without it. If in doubt seed all but a couple, let the flavors blend, taste, and add more pepper if needed. If I'm using a serrano I don't bother seeding because I want that heat as well as flavor.

jorge, i'm a pico lover, so thanks for the recipe. My standard conconction is for dipping and has just the basics:

tomatos
white onion
japs or serrano
cilantro
minced garlic
black pepper
salt
cumin

your recipe looks to be better for topping fish or chicken. thanks for sharing.

spoon said:
jorge, i'm a pico lover, so thanks for the recipe. My standard conconction is for dipping and has just the basics:

tomatos
white onion
japs or serrano
cilantro
minced garlic
black pepper
salt
cumin

your recipe looks to be better for topping fish or chicken. thanks for sharing.

That work of art above came from TK, credit where it's due. My version is in the recipe section, and more traditional.

http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?module=recipes&func=display&lid=99&pid=7

tommykendall said:
As temperatures across North America continue to warm up, many up us place more cold foods into our diets. The following are ingredients for a dynamite pico de gallo that I concocted after trying ones with less ingredients. I don't provide measurements for a few reasons - I never measured them; am constantly changing the size of batches; some folks like more of one ingredient over another. Use all diced fresh ingredients...

Red Tomatoes
Tomatillos
Cucumber
Jalapeno or Serrano
Red Onion
Mango
Avocado
Cilantro
Lime juice
Pepper

I may try that at a get-together at the end of the month!

tommykendall said:

I'll make that pico. Serve it with some shrimp kebabs.

Fish tacos sound great right now, almost 11:45. I'm gonna get me some blackend fish tacos for lunch.

BBQ_MAFIA said:
Never had a fish taco. How are they made and what are they made of?

Guido

Thank goodness this isn't the Woodpile.....I have a good answer for that.

When I worked in Carlsbad, Calif. a few years ago we went to lunch at this fish
market close to the office and it was awesome.

Basically it's everything that goes on a regular soft flour taco but the
but the meat is fish. They had many varieties of fresh cooked fish to
select from and the different sauces they had were awesome.

TK can probably tell your more about it than I can but I really miss
that fish market for lunch.

FatDad said:
Thank goodness this isn't the Woodpile.....I have a good answer for that.

When I worked in Carlsbad, Calif. a few years ago we went to lunch at this fish
market close to the office and it was awesome.

Basically it's everything that goes on a regular soft flour taco but the
but the meat is fish. They had many varieties of fresh cooked fish to
select from and the different sauces they had were awesome.

TK can probably tell your more about it than I can but I really miss
that fish market for lunch.

TK,
please do enlighten us east coasters to the fish taco. i use breaded and fried red snapper, salsa(gonna try your recipe next time) and something like cole slaw with no mayo in soft tortillas.
phil

Beer Batter Fish Tacos
1 Lb Firm white fish (cod, snapper, tilapia, etc.) cut into 1” by 4” strips (like big index finger)
Beer Batter (see Below)
1 C Chopped Cabbage
1 C Pico De Gallo (see below)
Finishing sauce (see below)

Pico de Gallo -
Red Tomatoes
Tomatillos
Cucumber
Jalapeno or Serrano
Red Onion
Mango
Avocado
Cilantro
Lime juice
Pepper

Finishing Sauce -
1/4 Bunch Cilantro, Chopped Finely
8oz Sour Cream
2-3 Limes
Mix the Sour Cream with the juice of the Limes and chopped Cilantro. Whisk until smooth.

Beer Batter -
1 12 oz can light Beer
1 1/2 cups Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Paprika and dash of ceyenne (optional)
1 more cup Flour

Directions
Pour the beer into a large bowl. Sift 1 ½ C flour, salt, and paprika into the beer, whisking until the batter is light and frothy. (The batter may be used immediately or stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, but be sure to whisk it occasionally). Heat at least 2 inches of oil in a frying kettle or electric fryer. Just before it reaches 375F, quickly dredge the fish with dry flour, shaking of excess then dip in the beer batter, coating well, and drop them into the hot fat. When they are brown on one side - less than 1 minute - turn and brown them on the other side. Drain on paper towels.

Place fish in a warmed tortilla of your choice (I prefer corn) and top with
cabbage, pico de gallo, and sauce. Wash down with ice-cold Corona

Now I am hungry! I am thinking fish tacos for lunch.

I like the pico recipe. May have to try it this weekend!

tommykendall said:
Beer Batter Fish Tacos
1 Lb Firm white fish (cod, snapper, tilapia, etc.) cut into 1” by 4” strips (like big index finger)
Beer Batter (see Below)
1 C Chopped Cabbage
1 C Pico De Gallo (see below)
Finishing sauce (see below)

Pico de Gallo -
Red Tomatoes
Tomatillos
Cucumber
Jalapeno or Serrano
Red Onion
Mango
Avocado
Cilantro
Lime juice
Pepper

Finishing Sauce -
1/4 Bunch Cilantro, Chopped Finely
8oz Sour Cream
2-3 Limes
Mix the Sour Cream with the juice of the Limes and chopped Cilantro. Whisk until smooth.

Beer Batter -
1 12 oz can light Beer
1 1/2 cups Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Paprika and dash of ceyenne (optional)
1 more cup Flour

Directions
Pour the beer into a large bowl. Sift 1 ½ C flour, salt, and paprika into the beer, whisking until the batter is light and frothy. (The batter may be used immediately or stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, but be sure to whisk it occasionally). Heat at least 2 inches of oil in a frying kettle or electric fryer. Just before it reaches 375F, quickly dredge the fish with dry flour, shaking of excess then dip in the beer batter, coating well, and drop them into the hot fat. When they are brown on one side - less than 1 minute - turn and brown them on the other side. Drain on paper towels.

Place fish in a warmed tortilla of your choice (I prefer corn) and top with
cabbage, pico de gallo, and sauce. Wash down with ice-cold Corona

Oh ...You Pit Biotch !!

My mouth is watering.

Thanks for the recipe Buddy !

My recipe is similar:

Tomatoes
serranos
onions (or green onions)
cilantro
canteloupe
salt
black pepper
sugar
tequilla (or balsamic vinegar if kids are around)

rookiedad said:
TK,
please do enlighten us east coasters to the fish taco. i use breaded and fried red snapper, salsa(gonna try your recipe next time) and something like cole slaw with no mayo in soft tortillas.
phil

It's not just foreign to east coast. I've been in L.A. all my life and never had a fish taco. Might be good but I just can't make the connection.

Back