MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: What should KCBS focus on?
large contests 14 19.44%
small contests 18 25.00%
both - explain how 40 55.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Default ** PLEASE VOTE *** What direction do you think the KCBS is heading?

I wanted this separate from the other post.

Question - what direction do you think the KCBS is heading? Here's some options

1. Mega competition circuit with prize money to support 100+ teams as full time competition teams year round.

2. A backyard BBQ organization to help small contests all over the country to get going and to encourage other people to join our sport.

3. Competition is a small part of the overall goals of the KCBS and there's way to much focus on competition. Let's focus on education (classes for a reasonable rate for John Q. Public) and show people how much fun cooking BBQ is. Add cooking demos like the BBQ tour but have locals do them at a contest and have them sponsored by the KCBS to do the demo instead of cooking. Even allow 10-20 people to join up with 2 -5 teams at a contest and cook with them. Learn what it's all about - and charge a reasonable fee to those people. KCBS compensates teams for this of course but not a lot.

I'd say we'd get about a 50% for #2 and 30% for #3 and 20% for number one. Mods maybe we want to do a poll but probably outside just competition because KCBS is a lot more than competition IMHO.

And opiton 4 - No contest sanctioned by the KCBS can pay out mroe than $10,000 in prize money and must still pay as advertised. So KCBS loses a few big contests (AR and Jack are not KCBS) and we get back to what made KCBS great. Let a for profit group setup a program for the big money contests. But this is just my personal opinion althoug I'd add #3 in with it.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post

1. Mega competition circuit with prize money to support 100+ teams as full time competition teams year round.

2. A backyard BBQ organization to help small contests all over the country to get going and to encourage other people to join our sport.

3. Competition is a small part of the overall goals of the KCBS and there's way to much focus on competition. Let's focus on education (classes for a reasonable rate for John Q. Public) and show people how much fun cooking BBQ is. Add cooking demos like the BBQ tour but have locals do them at a contest and have them sponsored by the KCBS to do the demo instead of cooking. Even allow 10-20 people to join up with 2 -5 teams at a contest and cook with them. Learn what it's all about - and charge a reasonable fee to those people. KCBS compensates teams for this of course but not a lot.

I'd say we'd get about a 50% for #2 and 30% for #3 and 20% for number one. Mods maybe we want to do a poll but probably outside just competition because KCBS is a lot more than competition IMHO.

And opiton 4 - No contest sanctioned by the KCBS can pay out mroe than $10,000 in prize money and must still pay as advertised. So KCBS loses a few big contests (AR and Jack are not KCBS) and we get back to what made KCBS great. Let a for profit group setup a program for the big money contests. But this is just my personal opinion althoug I'd add #3 in with it.
Ford,
#2 was my crusade. Those backyard events are going to be like the dinasour if changes are not made, or someone steps up to handle them
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Why do there have to be limits to one?
Can't it be multi leveled?

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

Ford, I think this is worthy of being a separate thread as well. Let me know and I'll split it and create the poll.

When I referred to the potential that I believe is out there I was referring to potential for all of the above (with the exception of #4).

I strongly agree that education should be emphasized more than I perceive it to be at this time. I do think the current BoD has made some progress in recent years, but would like to see more. In addition, I think that the IRS will likely expect that as well as revenue increases.

KCBS has the infrastructure in place to do all of the above if resources are directed efficiently as they become available. I don't see any of the first three options being mutually exclusive, and actually see them as having the potential to be complimentary.

As for #4, I'd ask why a sanctioning organization would want to handcuff any organizer that was able to qualify for having their contest sanctioned? How does that benefit KCBS? As a member, I'd hope that KCBS would be the sanctioning organization of choice for such large contests.

As for issue #2, I like what KCBS has done with the Competitor Series. It has allowed some flexibility to benefit organizers that would like to try something different, or aren't in a position to put on a traditional contest. That does nothing but benefit the cooks.

I just don't see a need for KCBS to narrow the focus of the organization to one of the options offered. I think it is a better organization if it applies resources and talent to all of them.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Jorge

Mod Note: This thread was split from another, after consulting with Ford. The topic, and discussion are worthy of a seperate thread.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 05-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Option #5: Into litigation with an angry ex board member who will refuse to go quietly when his term has ended. If you want any names we'll have to go into executive session.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I think the K.C.B.S. should try and focus on both. big comps for the thrill of the big comp and back yard comps to get intrest in the big comps. I think with out the little guy no one looks big. make sense?????
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Option #5: Into litigation with an angry ex board member who will refuse to go quietly when his term has ended. If you want any names we'll have to go into executive session.

When I listened to the podcast of the April meeting last week. I thought I heard snoring...

Personally, I think KCBS needs a mixture of all of the above. They can't forget the smalelr contests. They can't allow them to go to the wayside like how Walmart has done to the local mom and pop grocery stores. We can't let the big organizers bully us around until they get what they want. I find it funny that we had one hold us hostage 2 months ago and now we are welcoming him in with open arms for his 'competitior' series contests. Is our memroy that clouded that the $$$ blind us?

We can't be blind to the fact that is all these monster cash contests are great. How will that effect the little guy wanting to get started? Do we need to have more of those contests like up in Wisconsin that pays no money. You have no chance at winning anything, so it's a loss, but it gets locals out? I think that is far to the extreme as well.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:

Ford I'm not sure I'm understanding #4 - is that a suggestion or is it more of a legal issue with non-for-profits and large pay-outs? For whatever reason 10.5K seems to be the payout for a good amount of 65-100 team comps around here.

If limiting the payout is a suggestion, please provide a little background on your thinking to help me understand.

I have not voted yet, but right now I lean towards both the big and small comps.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

It will have to be both or the KCBS will fold.

First, with the small comps, these will be what keeps the KCBS running. They'll pay the basic operating costs of the organization. It will continue to get local individuals involved, find new teams that really enjoy the thrill of competiting, and continue to be a fund raiser for the local communities. Without these, individuals who want to spend the time and money won't look at the $500 entry fee contests to just give it a shot (unless you've got 6-8 people going in on them). This is the lifeblood for KCBS and will be so in the future, and realistically, should have a seperate, dedicated committee focused on running these effectively. I have ideas on how this can be improved by the KCBS, but that's a different story for a different day.

The large contests will help drive the growth of KCBS. The Smoke on Water / Kingsford / Sam's will help drive the national recognition of KCBS and can help expand what KCBS can do. Unfortunately, to do this effecively, as has been mentioned, KCBS will have to lose its not-for-profit status, requiring individuals that have a desire to drive KCBS as a business, not an occasional hobby.

KCBS should look at the big sponsors (Kingsford / Sam's) and leverage them differently. Let the Kingsford Series be a national tour the big teams chase while letting the Sam's sponsor regional events targeted at smaller teams (with corresponding weekends that allow for teams to compete in both the Kingsford and Sam's series, or require you to register for one, not both). Then let there be a Sam's shootout with the Top 5 teams from each region competiting in a final competition with Sam's providing all the final meats. Ultimately, you can end up with a tier system, the big money sponsor gets the big money teams, while regionally there can be some draws for the semi-competitive folks to really go after (those that aren't driving all over the country ever weekend).

The organization HAS to evolve, and without individuals with a larger business knowledge, removing the petty crap, and getting committees that are focused at moving the organization from a semi-regional organization to a true National footprint, it just won't work.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Its very simple, unless the KCBS gets over its funk regarding the situation with the girls in the group trying to make their own music so forth, and it's on and off relationship with Appolonia, and unless it starts making music that pleases the crowd, then it will be replaced by Morris' Girl Group that did well at the Taste the other night.

Like Billy said after the KCBS performed "SEX SHooter, "I already got three groups, I don't need fo'!"

Of course, if the father were to blow his brains out after an argument with the wife, well then, the KCBS might take into consideration the stuff Lisa and Wendy made and go BACK to the stage and really whip ass.... I mean perform so good that even Morris and Jerome would be dancing by the bar.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

The cynical view.

KCBS wants to be NASCAR. It's becoming all about the money. The direction that I'm seeing is to go to "Superstar" big money made for TV (possible invitation only) comps just like what happened to poker a few years ago. KCBS's only interest in local events it twofold:
  • Judging classes - Where the bulk of new KCBS members come from IMHO. Every class generates $40 per student in additional voting members that may or may not have more than a casual interest in KCBS itself. These members probably only stay for a year or two but they serve to dilute the voting pool.
  • Dead Money Competitors - Dead money is another poker term for those that enter events but have no shot at the major overall prizes. In KCBS's case, TOY. They want the fees from those casual 2-3 comps per year teams.
Other than that, don't call us, we'll call you.

There was a good point about KCBS committees brought up during the last election . What members are actually on these committees and how does the general membership get involved. I don't believe these questions were ever answered. Truthfully, I don't think KCBS really wants general membership involvement (other than dues)

Remember that not for profit and (non-charitable) non-profits are allowed to generate revenue and disperse it as they see fit and long as they don't pay dividends. Somebody is making money off all this revenue coming in.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Ford I'm not sure I'm understanding #4 - is that a suggestion or is it more of a legal issue with non-for-profits and large pay-outs? For whatever reason 10.5K seems to be the payout for a good amount of 65-100 team comps around here.

If limiting the payout is a suggestion, please provide a little background on your thinking to help me understand.

I have not voted yet, but right now I lean towards both the big and small comps.
Option 4 is not part of this poll just my original post. Limits on characters for posts.

But mybe all the big money is clouding judgement and we need to limit KCBS payouts. Then the real big money can do their own thing. Personally I think we need both big and small but we need to do something or people are going to feel left out. 30K for TOY and how many can share in it - Max of 2 overall plus 5 or 10 per category (can't remember what was voted) teams and there will probably be a lot of overlap. So a select few who cook 25-30 or more contests will benefit. Hardly a fair sharing of funds.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #14
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Thanks for more info.

I respect your thoughts and don't necessarily disagree with them, I have mixed feelings.

I'd maybe suggest the 10K turns in 15K or such as the limit as it sure is nice for us small guys to get a call or two and be able to recoup a large part of our weekend investment (or even come out a few $ ahead) without having to win GC or RCG to do so.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #15
Jorge

I'm still contemplating my vote.

I'm not seeing a reason that KCBS can't do ALL of the things you've listed. On paper, KCBS exists for the purpose of promoting BBQ and providing education about the same. I don't see competition as being exclusive to that goal, and actually seeing it as being an avenue to accomplish it as I'm sure the founders of KCBS did.

I'm not seeing the difference in the size of the payout, or contest either if the infrastructure is there. Are there enough Reps? If there are, then KCBS takes the check if everything else is in place and the contest qualifies for sanctioning.

With that being said, I WOULD like to see some emphasis put on a program or programs to assist small/startup contests. The Competitor series is a great start! Those type contests are where this organization began if I understand the history correctly.

Frankkly, I don't care what a contest pays. The organizer is responsible for raising funds to pay the teams. If an organizer can raise $100k, that benefits the teams that are willing to make the trip and take their chances. If an organizer can raise $5k, and put on a great contest and do it on a regular basis they are making a great contribution to BBQ and more than likely get teams that are willing to return as well. The money I'm concerned about, is what comes in to KCBS and more importantly what is done with it.

I think there is enough pie to go around. It just needs to be thought out, and planned for over the long haul rather than for the next 6 to 12 months.

Thanks for making me think, Ford.

Shut up, and cook!!!!