Thanksgiving Turkey - Goodbye Gasser

gfh

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Made one final cook on my gasser before my Limo Jr. build gets done and it gets retired - Decided to cook a few Conecuh sausage and try a small 12lb Turkey.

Cooked a little hotter than I normally do with pork, about 275 or so, and let the water pan go dry towards the end to get temps up over 300. Pulled the bird off with a thigh temp of 175 after about 4 hours. The breast meat was still moist, and had an excellent smoke flavor. Nothing fancy on the bird, just a dry brine with a little sage and lots of black pepper. iWe'll do this again.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve with the Limo Jr., but I'm really looking forward to its debut cook, hopefully by Christmas.

-

Attachments

• Reduced - 20211125_092116.jpg
    Reduced - 20211125_092116.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Reduced - 20211125_140830.jpg
    Reduced - 20211125_140830.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Screenshot_20211126-091043_FireBoardx.jpg
    Screenshot_20211126-091043_FireBoardx.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 199
Made one final cook on my gasser before my Limo Jr. build gets done and it gets retired - Decided to cook a few Conecuh sausage and try a small 12lb Turkey.

Cooked a little hotter than I normally do with pork, about 275 or so, and let the water pan go dry towards the end to get temps up over 300. Pulled the bird off with a thigh temp of 175 after about 4 hours. The breast meat was still moist, and had an excellent smoke flavor. Nothing fancy on the bird, just a dry brine with a little sage and lots of black pepper. iWe'll do this again.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve with the Limo Jr., but I'm really looking forward to its debut cook, hopefully by Christmas.

-

Congrats on the Sourhern Q order. Get prepared to Flatline that Fireboard. They make an excellent pairing.

Congrats on the Sourhern Q order. Get prepared to Flatline that Fireboard. They make an excellent pairing.

After a lot of waffling, I ordered the FB 20cfm fan and ball valve adapter (and drive cable) to go with my FB2. Any hints on setup? I'm a little concerned about too much air out of this fan versus the 10 cfm pit viper that a lot of folks seem to use with th FB on GF smokers. Worst case there is a max speed setting on the FB.

What could possibly go wrong?

After a lot of waffling, I ordered the FB 20cfm fan and ball valve adapter (and drive cable) to go with my FB2. Any hints on setup? I'm a little concerned about too much air out of this fan versus the 10 cfm pit viper that a lot of folks seem to use with th FB on GF smokers. Worst case there is a max speed setting on the FB.

What could possibly go wrong?

I’d try it fully open at first and see how it goes. I have the 10cm guru fan and it’s solid. Never any runaway temps like you hear occasionally on other rigs. That would be the only thing to worry about and you could choke the fan down if needed, but I suspect it will be fine fully open. If it does work fully open you should get a boost in the recovery time with double the fan cfm. Keep us posted on how it works if you don’t mind.

Back