New Smoke Chef - Looking for Advice

Kalden1701

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a new member here - thank you for allowing me to join.

About a month ago, I purchased an Oklahoma Joe reserve flow charcoal smoker - so far I have cooked a pork butt and two turkeys on the smoker. I was really happy with the end results and have been kicking myself for not getting a smoker sooner. The second turkey (bottom photo), I believe, I threw too much wood on too quickly... I woke up a little late to start the cook (Thanksgiving) so I freaked that I wouldn't have enough time. The temps were a bit too hot at first and I blame the coloration on poor smoke, too much wood too soon, and too hot. The first turkey I had more time to take my time and learn.

Anyways, I am looking for temp control/fire management advice for some of the longer cooks - primarily brisket and ribs. I really want to start smoking briskets but I am having a hard time thinking through the 15+ hour smoke. I'm really not a fan of thinking that I will have to be up for 15 hours, adding wood every 45 minutes. I think if I had to do that, I would just buy a Traeger or Rec-Tec pellet smoker... or smoke the brisket until the heat-stall phase (165) and then wrap the brisket and then cook in the oven where I know temps will remain stable until about 195. But I feel like that is cheating and defeats the purpose of having a smoker.

My current practice is to load up a Weber 7429 charcoal chimney to the top, and then toss the coals into the fire box in when they grey over. After this point, I never add more charcoal. I will then throw in one or two log splits of whatever flavor. At this point, I wait for the smoke to clear out a bit before putting the meat in. Temps are usually 350+ at this point per the smoker gauge.

- I have wood chunks but I find that they burn too quickly and I will go through an entire bag from Home Depot within a few hours
- I prefer the splits because they tend to last longer than chunks

- My vents are usually full open
- Temps tend to swing up/down by about 25 degrees when adding wood... unless I get lazy

My questions.
1. How can I maintain a reasonable temperature overnight while I sleep (I've seen the charcoal snake method - would that really hold around 200 degrees?)
2. Is it normal to add wood every 45 minutes, or am I relying too heavily on wood and not enough on charcoal? How can I make the fuel last longer... without sacrificing too much heat?

3. Are temperature swings of 25 degrees "normal" for charcoal? I imagine that there has to be some level of swing on charcoal.

I would love any advice - I really want to smoke several times a month, so I am eager to learn how to get better.

Thanks!

Attachments

• First Turkey.jpg
    First Turkey.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Second Turkey.jpg
    Second Turkey.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 62
Sounds like you've already diagnosed the problem to me. We've all been there. The old adage "bbq is done when its done" is really true. My only advice, is next time start off at your normal temp/fire-size. Ramp up slowly, if you have to, during the cook rather than a big "jump start."

Glad to hear you're cooking outside.

First, don't run both vents wide open. Close down the intake to control temps. You can try running more charcoal with chunks or sticks for flavor. That could give you more time between refueling.

Back