UDS water pan and access door

allboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone build a access door on a UDS, or add a water pan? I would like to see some photo's as I would like to try this.

Anyone build a access door on a UDS, or add a water pan? I would like to see some photo's as I would like to try this.

Well, I'll jump right out there and the folks here can let me know if I passed my exam. :biggrin:

Access Door: You don't want one as it will be nearly impossible to make it airtight, then you won't be able to control the temperature. You don't need one since the charcoal basket will hold more than enough fuel to outlast anything that you are going to cook.

Water Pan: Not needed if cooking grate is 24" above bottom of charcoal basket and because drum is a pretty moist cooking environment anyway.. Not wanted. Acts as big heat sink and makes drum less efficient.

Sorry, didn't really answer your question, but I think I can save you some trouble.

Well, how did I do? :biggrin:

Dave

Last time I did 4 butt's all the grease put out my coals. Maybe a drip pan/heat deflecter might be more what I'm looking for.

DDave...I think you did reall good.

I know there are some who have added water pan or at very least a heat deflector to use for different cooks, different reasons. It's in the WSM vs UDS thread. I've used a heat deflector in mine and have a third grate jsut for that if I want to use it but rarely do.

Pretty sure there is some info in UDS Bible about folks kicking around access door and bottom line is really don't need one. I suppose if you needed to refill a water pan on a regular basis it might be handy but could likely do that from lid too.

allboy.. .you might be able to pull off an access door somehow and show us a thing or two?

Well, I'll jump right out there and the folks here can let me know if I passed my exam. :biggrin:

Access Door: You don't want one as it will be nearly impossible to make it airtight, then you won't be able to control the temperature. You don't need one since the charcoal basket will hold more than enough fuel to outlast anything that you are going to cook.

Water Pan: Not needed if cooking grate is 24" above bottom of charcoal basket and because drum is a pretty moist cooking environment anyway.. Not wanted. Acts as big heat sink and makes drum less efficient.

Sorry, didn't really answer your question, but I think I can save you some trouble.

Well, how did I do? :biggrin:

Dave

Ya brought a tear to my eye......
You have come so far grasshopper! :biggrin:

I think it would be handy to have an access door for adding coals/wood, or adding water to a water pan. Maybe I'm thinking to much like a WSM.

I have had a few drum cooks where my Q did have an off taste. I'm thinking it was from too much grease on the coals. Maybe I just need to go to BBQ school. :lol: Any one every have this problem?

It's your drum, but I can't see any reason for adding more charcoal, these things go for hours and hours. I don't place my charcoal box in the middle of my drum, I thought the same thing at one time, grease drips on coals puts out fire. So now I move my charcoal box to one side and place food on other side of rack, a little indirect heat.

Here is the XXL UDS I built a couple of years ago. This is a two door model. Yes it is a pain in the arse to seal the doors! I used red RTV on both top and bottom. I need to run another bead to get the nooks and cranys yet. I have used this with a water pan and without, it is just personal preference.

Can it be done? I say yes, however, you are gonna need a donor barrel. Instead of pics here I found the thread from when I built it.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36163

In a regular barrel, it has been rare I have ever needed to add fuel so I doubt I would do a door.

DDave did answer your question.
You don't need no stinking door!
Just brings additional problems to something that is close to perfect
in its simplicity.

Weiser

I think it would be handy to have an access door for adding coals/wood, or adding water to a water pan. Maybe I'm thinking to much like a WSM.

I have had a few drum cooks where my Q did have an off taste. I'm thinking it was from too much grease on the coals. Maybe I just need to go to BBQ school. :lol: Any one every have this problem?

I'm up to page 50 on the UDS Bible thread out of 175 and the " No Door and Water pan" looks like its the 1st commandment....LOL But then again what do I know....It looks like the UDS Pros know their chit..

Buy 2 drums, build UDS and cook on it while you build your WSM clone. If you want it to work like a UDS then build it simple and enjoy some great grub.

This is a picture of what we call Frankensmoker. It is a WSM on steroids. It has the door and the water pan over the fire. I have added flanges around the door to make it more airtight than it is in this picture but I have no problem holding temp. It can have 5 racks and has cooked items ranging from a 75 pound steamship round of beef to 4th place chicken at Harvard last year.

Attachments

• frankie lite.jpg
    frankie lite.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 417
I'm up to page 50 on the UDS Bible thread out of 175 and the " No Door and Water pan" looks like its the 1st commandment....LOL But then again what do I know....It looks like the UDS Pros know their chit..

The first and only commandment is there are no commandments. My wood only UDS requires a door and a water pan seems like it could offer some benefits.

The first and only commandment is there are no commandments. My wood only UDS requires a door and a water pan seems like it could offer some benefits.

Here you go Mark.... This is mark and his son at my farm...

DSC00001-2.jpg

I thought we did? at least for doors. As for water pans, I've not used one but, like I said, I can see how they'd be useful.

So just do it. Then report back on how it works. Because that's how this forum is supposed to work. Comprehende?

I get your point about the door. But maybe one day when I get a welder I will do it just to get out of the house. I do want to make a charcoal basket that I can offset to avoid heavy amounts of grease on my coals when I do butts. Anyone ever try a "D shaped" style basket?

Back