MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
jlafrenz
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default 270 Smokers Questions

I am hoping I can get some opinions from those who have used 270 Smokers. I have been speaking with them and trying to read as much as I can about them. There is some good info, but not tons. What I am curious to know is if the reduced cook times has any impact on the smoker flavor? I am currently using a UDS and don't wrap pork butts and going back and forth on briskets. I like the idea of a shorter cook, but am used to the flavor of a longer cook without foil and don't want to lose that. Has anyone compared vs. a UDS. How about other cookers, specifically insulated cabinets. I have been looking at a few others as well.
jlafrenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #2
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

I went from UDS to the 270s a few years back. Yes there is a lighter smoke profile as this cooker can burn clean but nothing like a pellet cooker light. I try and keep the dial temps around 250-270 and yes you can get a good size pork butt done in 8 hours and i have done a full packer in 8-9 hours no wrap. They are dependable cookers and I use them in competitions and they have served me well. That being said I got a deal on a Hunsaker drum and have been playing around with that the last month and to me there is a difference in flavor. Just depends what flavor profile you are looking for. 270s are easy to run, set and forget, and have good mobility. The West's are great people and they make an awesome cooker, you can't go wrong.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

A few questions:
1)If you wanted to cook at 225-250 will the 270 do that without fighting it or does is just want to cook a little hotter? My understanding is that meat loses its ability to incorporate smoke around 140degrees, so by cooking at a lower temp, you should get more smoke flavor, right?

2) can you not up the smoke volume/profile by adding more wood chunks to the basket
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

1)If you wanted to cook at 225-250 will the 270 do that without fighting it or does is just want to cook a little hotter? My understanding is that meat loses its ability to incorporate smoke around 140 degrees, so by cooking at a lower temp, you should get more smoke flavor, right? I find that I can hold 250 easy but if the water pan runs out your temps could spike. For example I usually don't peek at my pork butt until about 4-5 hours in. I will then add some water if i see its running low. I'm sure there is some science regarding low temps vs high temps for smoke absorption but i'm not that smart lol. I adjust based on my preferred cooking temps which is 250-270.

2) can you not up the smoke volume/profile by adding more wood chunks to the basket Yes you can but its also how you use your wood chunks. I will put mine on top vs mixing with the coals so it will smolder quicker earlier in the cook which the meat will absorb. If you mix the wood in and start your fire; wait for the smoke to thin out, I personally feel that wood turns to "fuel" so you might lose some intensity. Again, you still have to be mindful of dirty smoke. Regardless of briqs or lump I will wait for that light up smoke to clear out during my pre-heat phase; once it thins i will then add my choice of wood. One hunk right on the lit coals the other(s) off to the side to slowly ignite. ymmv

Also I find that my SUMO does run hotter than my Standard so I gotta keep an eye on it more as my temps can swing to 300 fairly quick.

eta: i made some edits to my replies for clarity.

Last edited by wmarkw; 11-13-2019 at 01:07 PM..
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

I had a 270 and a Hunsaker. Flavor is definitely different. Drum has a distinct dripping/vaporizing fat flavor compared to wood smoke flavor. I like them both in certain instances. I would take the 270 if I had to pick just one.

My 270 turned out food very similar to my green egg. They are low airflow cookers, and depending on how much wood you use you can get a pretty deep smoke flavor to me. It does cook surprisingly fast, but in my opinion it did not affect flavor whatsoever.

I really enjoyed the 270.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

I have tried to read up on the 270's as well. There isn't a whole lot out there from forum posts on any of the popular BBQ forums that I have run across.

In the end, I tend to favor some other fully welded options.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #7
jlafrenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
I have tried to read up on the 270's as well. There isn't a whole lot out there from forum posts on any of the popular BBQ forums that I have run across.

In the end, I tend to favor some other fully welded options.
Care to elaborate?

Old 11-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #8
Evil-g
is Blowin Smoke!

270 Smokers are a fine smoker. I have a 270 Sumo and what I like about it is cooking hot & fast 300°+. You’ve got to be careful when approaching your target temp and choke it back before it hits temp. Aside from that open the door it will lose temp quickly. I’ve only done low & slow a couple time and it held steady temps throughout the entire cook. I like the flavor profile but it’s definitely different than a stick-burner or a PBC. Add as much or as little wood (smoke) as you’d like to and you’ll find that magic spot.

I do agree there is not much info out there YouTube or otherwise. Stephanie stands 100% behind their product and will answer any questions you may have. Check out their FB page too.
Backyard Grill 26 inch
Pit Barrel Cooker
Evil-g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2019, 12:12 AM   #9
Evil-g
is Blowin Smoke!

Forgot to mention they are an insulated smoker and doesn’t care how cold it is, it will hold temp.
Backyard Grill 26 inch
Pit Barrel Cooker
Evil-g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #10
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlafrenz View Post
Care to elaborate?

First, I'm in Texas so shipping or a pick up is more expensive for me than options available a bit closer.

Then there is the issue of people who are happy to tend to say nothing and someone unhappy will yell and scream at the top of their lungs from every hilltop they can find for years. This is true of 270 but, the thread I read was so out of character from what little I read overall, I didn't put much value into the post. Were the issues posted real or, was it user "error"?

In the end, I tend to compare every insulated vertical cabinet against a Loanstar Grillz IVC which is fully welded and an easy drive away.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #11
jlafrenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
First, I'm in Texas so shipping or a pick up is more expensive for me than options available a bit closer.

Then there is the issue of people who are happy to tend to say nothing and someone unhappy will yell and scream at the top of their lungs from every hilltop they can find for years. This is true of 270 but, the thread I read was so out of character from what little I read overall, I didn't put much value into the post. Were the issues posted real or, was it user "error"?

In the end, I tend to compare every insulated vertical cabinet against a Loanstar Grillz IVC which is fully welded and an easy drive away.
What thread is this? Everything I really have been able to find is positive. My thoughts are that they have a lot of features I am looking for, but just want to make sure at the end of the day it puts out food with the flavor I am after. That is the most important factor overall for me.

Not to derail my own thread, but what other cookers would you be looking at or have you used? The others on my short list are LSG Mini or a Cascade. Spicewine is local to me, but I can't swing the cash for a Medium right now. I am looking at any of these on the used market, but seem to be difficult to find. Just being patient until the right unit pops up.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:36 PM   #12
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

Quote:
What thread is this? Everything I really have been able to find is positive. My thoughts are that they have a lot of features I am looking for, but just want to make sure at the end of the day it puts out food with the flavor I am after. That is the most important factor overall for me.

Not to derail my own thread, but what other cookers would you be looking at or have you used? The others on my short list are LSG Mini or a Cascade. Spicewine is local to me, but I can't swing the cash for a Medium right now. I am looking at any of these on the used market, but seem to be difficult to find. Just being patient until the right unit pops up.
In your original post you mentioned other IVC cookers. I've owned several different types of cookers in the past and I'm pretty sure I've found the type I like with my reverse flow IVC smoker from Cascade Smokers. I've been cooking on it for a few years now and couldn't be happier. I'm not the type that cares to tend a fire but I didn't want to sacrifice flavor as a result. I've found that I can leave my smoker for hours unattended and the results have been nothing less than spectacular and extremely consistent. I'd highly recommend a smoker from Cascade Smokers. They're on the west coast so shipping might be an issue as far as cost? Finding a nice used IVC local to you would be nice but it might like searching for a needle in a haystack? It might be worth waiting awhile to scratch the coin together for a Spicewine if it fits your needs and to save on shipping or buy new from the others mentioned with shipping?

Old 11-15-2019, 12:30 AM   #13
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=275492

Probably this one. Had an issue which I considered minor. Wasn't happy with customer service. Kind of thought stephanie was a bit rude. Could have just been an off day. Usually she was pretty cool. So yeah everyone has a bad day. Its unlikely I would do business again with them. Never say never but really not likely. More to do with the attitude then the product itself. Terry is cool though. I met him at the Ironman and we spoke briefly a few years ago. Seriously seems like a nice guy.

Overall the cooker cooks fine. The finish seems to be sensitive. Read about the issue I had and decide for yourself. Do your self a favor and compare simple green's chemical make up to krud kutter. The other thing to Krud Kutter has multiple versions out. The manual 270 publishes does not say which version to get and yeah there are some differences between them. They probably should clarify which Krud Kutter to use.
They claim it was my use of Simple Green caused the cover to heat up and cause the discoloration. Really an absurd explanation as the chemical make up is pretty much identical.
My thought is the vinyl cover doesn't breath and being in the sun it heated up the powder coat and the white letters printed on the cover kept the heat off those areas leaving an ugly mark. Its weird. Not common at all but the thread I linked has photos. I have reduced the visability of the marks but its still there. I had to use some harsh stuff I would not recommend using unless your desperate. Its hard to see it now unless the sun hits it just right.
I would say your unlikely to be unhappy with it. I would avoid the cover they sell and get something that won't heat the smoker up and my personal preferance is to use a rope gasket set with red rtv gasket maker. Felt seems to not hold up very good at all. I know they have started selling a thicker felt gasket and offering the rops gasket as options. If you go with 270 get the rope gasket. Much more durable imo. That is my opinion and you might like felt but I did not like felt. Thats probably more to do with the environment I use my 270 in. We get alot of rain and snow and yeah the felt seems to get funny fast.

I am not telling you to not buy one. Just be aware there are some problems. Price wise its a good deal. Some precautions I would take are just advice on how to avoid the problem.

I use to highly recommend 270. I don't now encourage or discourage buying one. Just the customer service left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't know either of the Wests personally. My only experience with Stephanie is business related. As in me as a customer. Terry I only spoke to him briefly. So none of my comments are meant as personal attacks. I do relay my experience whether positive or negative. Only when someone is asking though.

Take it for what it is. 1 complaint out of how many customers. Pretty good track record. Am I happy that I have the cosmetic issue I have with mine? No not at all. Are you likely to see the issue I have probably not. Probably a better chance of winning the lottery.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
No, the one I read was from a different forum site. I don't really want to draw attention to it as I questioned the content and how it was stated.

On the flip side, it is a handmade product so, it is conceivable a problem unit escaped 'into the wild'.

Lonestar Grillz really is among the top tier IVC units. That being said, they are not alone in making a great IVC. Cascade seems to be getting a lot of praise recently so, I'm guessing that would be a good choice but, for me, like Humphrey's, the drive or shipping makes them much more expensive compared to an equally good, possibly better, unit closer to home.

In the end, when saving up for purchase or, comparing costs, don't forget to factor in the cost at your door inclusive or sales tax and/or shipping. A more expensive unit closer to home might be cheaper overall without crating and shipping expenses.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #15
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I bet the medium Spicewine picked up locally would be cheaper than an LSG Mini shipped. At 600 pounds, it certainly appears to be a solid unit.