MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #16
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

Wood is pretty heavy. I think it would be very expensive to have it shipped to you. I'll PM you where I get my Post Oak but I'm not sure he'd be willing to ship.

Regular white oak is close but it's not quite the same. I've never tried oak from Iowa so it may be a totally different species and taste different than the white oak here.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #17
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

According to wikipedia, you can find post oak in Iowa. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_stellata
Maverick 732
UDS
[COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]
pbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #18
chingador
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
Just to throw another wrinkle at you... Depending on who you ask about "authentic" Texas BBQ wood, you might get different answers. Post oak, mesquite and pecan are all used regularly depending on availability. I actually use a combination of the three for most cooks, but use only pecan the most when I use a single wood. My advice is to cook with what is available and compare the taste with other woods that you might have shipped in for samples. I think that you will find that the meat prep and cooking method/temps are more important than the type of wood. As mentioned before, post is a subset of the white oak family. The difference is more about how it burns than how it tastes in my experience. It is harder than other whites, so it can burn longer. It can also smolder more if not burned hot enough causing an acrid flavor. Best of luck to you whichever way you go.
Absolutely. Central Texas is post oak. East central through near coastal bend you see a lot of pecan, north, west and south a lot of mesquite. In the east Texas piney woods you will see mostly hickory.

Primo Oval XL, BPS drum, Weber gasser
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->