Alternatives to the BBQ Guru

medic92

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
And don't start with any of this "Just watch your fire and control it yourself!" crap! :becky:

After firing up the pit this evening and finding out that yet another power supply has gone out on the BBQ Guru (fourth one in 2 1/2 years) I'm ready to look for something else. So what's out there that works with the Pit Bull fans these days?

I am in the same boat my guru just went out.
Time to look for something else

Is the power supply the only problem you've ever had with it? Might be the plan to keep a spare supply. Has it ever died in mid-cook spoiling a whole cooker worth of meat? If so, looking into a more bullet proof unit makes good sense.... assuming they are superior and not just "different"

I would recommend the BBQ Guru fan and adapter paired with the FireBoard and Drive cable. It's the PERFECT combo.

Is the power supply the only problem you've ever had with it? Might be the plan to keep a spare supply. Has it ever died in mid-cook spoiling a whole cooker worth of meat? If so, looking into a more bullet proof unit makes good sense.... assuming they are superior and not just "different"

Not yet, it always seems to die on a Saturday or Sunday when I'm about to start a cook. The power supply is only $21 but standard shipping is $13. Not much money, but I refuse to pay it over and over and over again. They'll call me tomorrow morning in response to my email and send me another one. THEN I might buy an extra.

Tonight's plan is to give the brisket and butts six hours of smoke, then transfer them to the Alto-Shaam and let it finish it overnight so I can get some sleep.

I would recommend the BBQ Guru fan and adapter paired with the FireBoard and Drive cable. It's the PERFECT combo.

So the Guru fan works with the Fireboard? That's extremely helpful. I assume the drive cable is sold separately from the Fireboard.

By the way, I got inspected at the scales north of Fremont once by a beautiful redheaded DOT officer. She was one of the most pleasant officers I've ever encountered. Didn't mind that inspection one bit.

Use a 12v power supply. I've had Guru's for a long time and have never had a power supply issue. Could you possibly have a voltage / amperage issue ? If something is burning up your wall wart power supplies on that outlet (which aren't made by guru btw) odds are someone else's wall wart will get burned up too.

Use a 12v power supply. I've had Guru's for a long time and have never had a power supply issue. Could you possibly have a voltage / amperage issue ? If something is burning up your wall wart power supplies on that outlet (which aren't made by guru btw) odds are someone else's wall wart will get burned up too.

I've tried a couple of other power supplies and for some reason none of them will work even when they're the same wattage/amperage as the power supply the Guru's use.

Maybe with the new one I'll run a cord and plug it in at the house rather than the garage. If it's a power surge issue that should take care of it since the garage is on a separate box.

Get the cigarette lighter adapter from BBQ guru and run it off a jump box. Been doing it for years. Just make sure to charge the jump box every few cooks

Go to a UPS store and ask them to save the power supply form the cable boxes turned in. They throw them away at most stores. Inside of a week you will have a bag full of power supplies for your Guru

Check out the Ink Bird. IBT - 6X. Getting ready to post a review shortly.

I just received a Flame Boss 500 with a battery pack. I'm going to start testing this product out this week. So far it looks very nice.

Back