MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:15 PM   #1
Smoking Piney
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John
Default Last Chance Cheese Smoke

With the weather quickly warming up, I got a last chance to smoke some cheese before it gets too warm. I pressed the Assassin into use. I smoked Gouda, Havarti, Asiago, Swiss, Colby Jack, white cheddar, and a few weird blends my wife chose.

My Amaze-N pellet maze loaded with alder pellets, grease trap pulled on on the bottom of the cook chamber. The bag for the pellets sat outside since winter and there was a hole in the bag. I microwaved the pellets for about a minute to dry them out:

A small pizza stone over the maze to diffuse the smoke a bit:

Cheese is on. I used colored toothpicks to remember what cheese is what when I vac seal them this evening:

Two hours of smoke and done.....resting in the cool air until I can vac seal them:

They will need 2 to 3 weeks in the fridge to mellow a bit before we dig in. This oughta hold my wife and I for a bit.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

I love it! Smoked cheese in amazing

24"x52" Custom Offset, Black 22" Weber Kettle , Deep Ocean Blue 22' Weber Kettle, Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. Char-Broil Table Top gas Grill, One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
[url]https://www.youtube.com/c/LumberjackSmokestack[/url]
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-31-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
JU
Full Fledged Farker

Never tried this. Send me some

Old 03-31-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

You're in for a treat. Looking great!
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

Sako,

It's my summer stash. It holds forever vac sealed in the fridge.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-31-2019, 09:07 PM   #6
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

Oh yeah!
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Going to be some good eatin! Looks delicious John!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2019, 10:38 PM   #8
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I have the Amaz-N tube smoker. I tried smoking cheese last year with pellets, but it came out very poorly. Bitter smoke. Any tips?

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #9
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post
I have the Amaz-N tube smoker. I tried smoking cheese last year with pellets, but it came out very poorly. Bitter smoke. Any tips?
Oh man... does this bring back memories. I almost trashed my Amaz-N Tube earlier this year but here's what I learned.....

1) Use absolutely dry pellets. If you have to, warm them up, nuke them, do anything you can to avoid damp or moisture laden pellets. I buy very small bags that are airtight (Pit Boss???) and avoid the large sacks that have air holes. Even then I vac seal what I don't use. One small pack of pellets gives me at least four rounds of cheese smokes.

2) Get that tube as far away from the food as possible. In doing some research I came across a cold smoking set up that had the smoke source some 20 feet away from the food area. This allows for the nasty bits to settle out before resting on the food. My first attempt had the tube in the food chamber near the cheese and "YUCK" the food was nasty. Now I use the firebox of my offset for the tube and try to make the smoke travel as far as possible. Much improved flavor on all subsequent batches.

3) Leave the firebox door open - let some of the excess smoke go elsewhere. As long as you have some smoke coming out the stack you're good to go. You do not need all the smoke the tube generates to get a smoke flavor. I'll run mine open about 3" or so - looking for light wispy smoke coming out the exhaust.

4) A little smoke goes a long way.... I've cut my smoke time down to one hour. On the harder cheeses you can get away with more but my "preference" seems to land at the one hour mark regardless of cheese type.

I pulled a block of Muenster out let it come up to room temp and sliced away over the weekend. OMG - it was simply heavenly. Had to really show some restraint to avoid eating the entire block. Anyway, hope some of the above items improve your cheese smoking efforts. Good luck.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #10
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Thank you for the reply!

I gave it a second shot tonight. I am using my 22" WSM. Last time I closed it up like I was using it for a full cook. I smoked some cheese for 3-4 hours. It was pretty bad, but I ate it as punishment.

Tonight, I grabbed 3 blocks from the grocery: Sharp Cheddar, Muenster, and Pepper Jack. I left the firebox door open on the WSM and put a block of wood to jack the lid. Outdoor temps were in the mid 40's. I microwaved the pellets like you suggested and was amazed at the steam coming off of them!

The lit immediately, but I let them burn for 10 min as Amazen suggests. I let the cheese smoke for 1 hour, then I vac sealed it and will let it rest for 3-4 weeks.

Standby for updates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsmkmstr View Post
Oh man... does this bring back memories. I almost trashed my Amaz-N Tube earlier this year but here's what I learned.....

1) Use absolutely dry pellets. If you have to, warm them up, nuke them, do anything you can to avoid damp or moisture laden pellets. I buy very small bags that are airtight (Pit Boss???) and avoid the large sacks that have air holes. Even then I vac seal what I don't use. One small pack of pellets gives me at least four rounds of cheese smokes.

2) Get that tube as far away from the food as possible. In doing some research I came across a cold smoking set up that had the smoke source some 20 feet away from the food area. This allows for the nasty bits to settle out before resting on the food. My first attempt had the tube in the food chamber near the cheese and "YUCK" the food was nasty. Now I use the firebox of my offset for the tube and try to make the smoke travel as far as possible. Much improved flavor on all subsequent batches.

3) Leave the firebox door open - let some of the excess smoke go elsewhere. As long as you have some smoke coming out the stack you're good to go. You do not need all the smoke the tube generates to get a smoke flavor. I'll run mine open about 3" or so - looking for light wispy smoke coming out the exhaust.

4) A little smoke goes a long way.... I've cut my smoke time down to one hour. On the harder cheeses you can get away with more but my "preference" seems to land at the one hour mark regardless of cheese type.

I pulled a block of Muenster out let it come up to room temp and sliced away over the weekend. OMG - it was simply heavenly. Had to really show some restraint to avoid eating the entire block. Anyway, hope some of the above items improve your cheese smoking efforts. Good luck.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2019, 11:23 PM   #11
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post
The tube and tray smoke generators that burn pellets can do a good job for flavor smoking meats, but they need a lot of volume and airflow when smoking delicate things like cheese and butter. The sawdust generator on the other hand works like a charm.... you really have to stare at the vent to even see smoke... and sawdust produces almost no heat at all so your cheeses won't sweat and rarely get discolored. If you can imagine two cigarettes burning in an ash tray, that's about the amount of smoke the sawdust generators produce. Smoking times of 4 to 6 hours can be used because the smoke delivery is so light, and the cheese is edible throughout the entire process so you can dial in the exact flavor you want without dealing with any bitterness. I prefer to mellow it 2 or 3 days before giving it away but you won't have to wait weeks before eating it. One of the simplest tests you can do when smoking cheese is what I call the finger test; when you rotate your blocks if your fingers feel oily, your smoker is too hot.... if you can smell smoke on your fingers your smoke is too heavy. These photos are taken during an active smoking session, you really have to look to see smoke. For some reason the wisps of smoke are on the left side of the photos, and the blur on 3 or 4 blocks in the middle picture is smoke, not movement.

PS I sent you a PM.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #12
isuhunter
Full Fledged Farker

Whenever I've tried to smoke cheese it tastes like ash. I've been using a weber kettle or a weber gas grill and amazing tube or tray and pellets.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #13
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Nice I love smoked cheese last time I did it I froze it and some came out not very good I use the pro q smoke generator which uses saw dust
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #14
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Looks great John.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #15
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Looks fantastic.

Planning on doing some cold smoking in the WSM now we are coming into Aussie Winter!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote