How far have you driven for barbecue?

I want to try Scott's in Charleston, and I also have family living there (on the wife's side). My plan is to suggest a road trip to visit while masking my actual plan to eat BBQ :heh:

I am a foodie, and especially a Q foodie. However, I haven't gone further than 65 miles for a restaurant yet. I used to live closer to Kansas City, and was going to plan a day trip with my wife for some Q and shopping, but that hasn't panned out yet. I have been 230 miles to judge a BBQ contest for two days in Miami, OK. That was tasty!

I've driven a long way and eaten BBQ but it wasn't ever the main event. Luling and Lockhart come to mind but we went to San Antonio and only wound up driving from San Antonio to the BBQ on the way back home.

Just to eat a plate of BBQ and turn around, my longest so far has been 3 hours each way. I've hit most of the Houston places and now stretching into north Austin so now 3 hours will start to become the minimum.

Just to eat a plate of BBQ and turn around, my longest so far has been 3 hours each way. I've hit most of the Houston places and now stretching into north Austin so now 3 hours will start to become the minimum.
Might as well come to the Texas Fall Bash... :heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last year I met Gore and we went to Snow's in Lexington (ranked # 1 in Texas for BBQ) then to Louie Mueller's in Taylor (ranked # 3). Here's the thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258202

The day before I met up with peeps and we went to The Growler Bar in Pflugerville then out to dinner.

That trip was a total of 497 miles and I had a wonderful time and would gladly do it again.

Drove from Michigan to North Carolina just for the BBQ. Four days straight of stuffing my gullet full of 'Q.

Pulled/chopped pork is #4 on my list of meats below brisket, ribs (any kind), and sausage. Not sure if I can handle that as the main course. Unless the place has killer Mac and cheese or something.

@czarbecue. Come on down to the low country! Make it an overnight trip. Eat yourself into a BBQ coma then spend the night at the beach. Wake up and have a big bowl of Shrimp and Grits for the drive home.

To answer your question... I drove 250 miles to Kinston, NC to eat at King's BBQ. However, I grew up eating at King's. So it was as much for nostalgia as the food. But the food did not disappoint.

Well, I'm willing to fly the opposite corner of the earth for the newest taste and cooking style of bbq. Although I'm not yet good in cooking, yet I'm willing to start my own business soon, I would love to taste the products of my nearby competitors too. If I can get insights from bbqs far away, then I will have to go.

For my last birthday, me and a few friends drove from Boston to Williamsburg NYC to eat Montreal Smoked Meat Poutine at the Mile End Deli. On the way home we stopped at Reins Deli in Conneticut. It was a good day.

Attachments

• IMG_1027 (1).jpg
    IMG_1027 (1).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 14
Back