MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William
Default LSG 20" x 42" or Shirley Patio 24" x 42".

I have about $2K +/- earmarked for a nice stick burner. It's a 2 horse race at this point. Reverse flow vs traditional flow. The Shirley is thicker steel but I don't think the wait time is as long on the LSG. I'm really torn between the two and I'd just like to read some input and the pros and cons from Brethren who own these cookers.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

Just wanted to let you know that the St. Louis BBQ Store often gets a shipment of patio Shirley's and that would probably be quicker than the wait time. Ask someone who knows the schedule if there is an ETA for them.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrad62 View Post
Just wanted to let you know that the St. Louis BBQ Store often gets a shipment of patio Shirley's and that would probably be quicker than the wait time. Ask someone who knows the schedule if there is an ETA for them.
I'm very interested in the new Shirley patio model as well. I know its a bit smaller and not in production yet. I really like the single door. I will check out St.Louis BBQ Store. Thank you.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!

Old 04-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

You should come and visit and cook on a Shirley, once you hear and see the smoke and sizzle when drippings hit a reverse flow plate you'll know why once people own a RF design they rarely go back and no one does it like @TuscaloosaQ and his crew.

I am sending all my Langs down the road as I am able to replace them with Shirley Fabs, the quality and design is remarkable.

If you really want an open pit design LSG is probably the way to go they have a quality product and are known for excellent service.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
Speeed
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Speed

I Have no experience with Shirley Mfg. and I have only had my LSG a short time but between craftsmanship and customer service...I would buy another one tomorrow.
Very pleased with it.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
angryelfFan
is one Smokin' Farker

There is always the possibility of a used Shirley...as a matter of fact...my 24x50 is going to be posted on this site soon.

I love the thing and the only reason I am getting rid of it is because I have a brand new one coming soon.
Shirley 24 x 42 Straight Back
angryelfFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #7
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

You have reached the fork that lots of us come to in our stick burner quest. You can't go wrong. I'm partial to shirley but that new LSG is sweet and the price is right. My decision was based on price and capacity. Both builders are great so that's a wash...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #8
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

I have owned 2 (3rd on the way) LSG and a Shirley trailer. For a patio model I would go with the new LSG unless you want to wait on the prototype like BBQFreak just teased everyone with. I thought about waiting, but decided I could get the LSG 20x42 quicker and a hair cheaper than the SF.

The new 20x42 is basically a top flow smoker, and I think is built to the perfect size for a true backyard cook without going overboard. I usually always buy too big, but decided to be sensible this go round and landed on the LSG. You will never hear anything negative about SF from me though, it was like having the hottest girl in the room anytime someone would see it.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:19 PM   #9
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

I am partial to my Shirley but I do think the new LSG 20 x 42 is an outstanding design and prefer it over their other models that use the tuning plates. Both are high quality pits and I don’t think you can go wrong with either one.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2019, 04:09 AM   #10
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

No matter the brand. Look at a 20" and a 24" just to compare how much more room/cooking space that 4" makes.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #11
tnfan47
Full Fledged Farker

I'm in the same boat. I'm torn between the two and I never cooked on either a reverse flow or traditional. I have several honey-do items to do around the house before I can pull the trigger.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
rawcalls
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : rawcalls

Not trying to hijack the thread but howwould a Jambo Backyard pit stack up against the LSG and Shirley pits?
rawcalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #13
ToOTHroTT
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

I love my LSG 20X42
ToOTHroTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #14
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

What about the double doors on the Shirley? The new patio model has a single door. Is there any advantage to either? I kinda like the single door on the LSG and new SF patio.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!

Old 04-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #15
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

I like the single door on those size options. I previously had a LSG 24x48 and did not like the double door on a smoker that size either.

Thanks from: --->