Other than Salted Caramels

EricD

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Lunchman started a thread about Salted Caramels, and it got me thinkin' but
I didn't want to hijack the thread so I'm starting this one.

I usually make a bunch of Fudges for gifts and stuff around Christmas. The Salted Caramels gave me the inspiration to do more than just fudge this year and I will definitely be trying the caramels and brittle.
In the aforementioned thread, a few of you mentioned Divinity (which I had never heard of) but it got me to thinking also...
What are some of your favorite Holiday Candies/ treats?

Wife used to make Martha Washington Balls, Divinity and Snickerdoodle Cookies as well as home made German Chocolate Cake. Pretzels dipped in Almond Bark and those peanut butter cookies with a Hershey kiss.

Sausage Balls- our life has devolved to sausage balls. Didn’t see that coming five years ago

Smoked nuts.
I use kosher salt, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, onion and garlic. Rosemary, ginger, cumin. Cayenne etc if you want a bit of heat.
Smoke around 2 hrs @ 250* Less chance of burning. Higher temps just take more attention.
Last 15 to 20 mins on the smoker. I add real maple syrup. Stir/mix often. As to not let the syrup burn.
Examples
Lots of Brethren smoke nuts. many different ways.

Attachments

• DSC01306.jpg
    DSC01306.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 214
  • cashews (3).jpg
    cashews (3).jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 213
  • cashews (4).jpg
    cashews (4).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 214
  • cashews.jpg
    cashews.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 211
Homemade chex mix (using the old recipe with lots of butter and seasonings) and English Toffee.

Rum balls, egg nog, peppermint bark, pigs in a blanket, those pinwheel things with cream cheese and deviled ham, sherbet punch. So basically, all the things from my grandmother's cooking...she still held on to a lot of the mainstays from the 50s/60s and would whip them up at parties.

Bourbon balls, candied almonds/cashews, I do salted caramels but I have also done my version of $100 Grand bars.

Take semisweet and milk chocolate chips melt down and spread to about a 1/4 inch deep, then as it starts to firm up cover with a layer of rice crispys and press into the chocolate and then refrigerate so it is fully hardened. then cover with a 3/8 inch layer of caramel and let set.

If you dont get the rice crispy thing just right the crispys will float up into the caramel and while still good its not the same.

Smoked nuts.
I use kosher salt, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, onion and garlic. Rosemary, ginger, cumin. Cayenne etc if you want a bit of heat.
Smoke around 2 hrs @ 250* Less chance of burning. Higher temps just take more attention.
Last 15 to 20 mins on the smoker. I add real maple syrup. Stir/mix often. As to not let the syrup burn.
Examples
Lots of Brethren smoke nuts. many different ways.

Any more detail on the seasoning?? I’d really like to try this. Looks like you have cashews in there?

Any more detail on the seasoning?? I’d really like to try this. Looks like you have cashews in there?
Sorry don't want to hijack thread.
I forgot to mention, I stir the nuts every 30 mins.
I use a mix of hickory and cherry wood.
Seasoning, I sprinkle over each pan like you were doing a light rub coating for say brisket. I do add more kosher salt as soon as they come off the smoker. Add kosher salt to taste. 1 stk butter per pan. Each pan is 6lbs/2 3lb jars.
I do all kinds of nuts. Even pistachio's. Just depends on who I'm doing them for. For general gifts, I find the member's mark brand mix nuts is cheapest. They come out very nice. About half the folks I smoke nuts for also like them "burnt". Which are just dark roasted and not burnt. Just easier to call burnt.
But I also do large batches of expensive pecan's from Georgia.
Hope that helps.

Attachments

• cashews (2).jpg
    cashews (2).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Some great ideas! Thanks!
@TxQGuy We make that sherbert punch every year at our christmas eve party!
@Pulmah Finger Definitely making $100 grand bars!!!!!

We do smoked salt for gifts. At Aldis we get sea salt in a grinder for $1.75, cold smoke it, put them back in the grinders, and put on a wrap around sticker label. We do it for our entire church each year and everyone likes it.

Back