MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Default My thoughts on the Weber SmokeFire pellet grill

Hey guys,
For those that don't know, I got invited to Weber to see the new pellet grill (Weber doesn't sponsor me, but Weber paid for my travel expenses so I could go.) I got some great info about how the cooker was made and what all went into it. It was fun to see the mothership and all the people who were there. I got a chance to meet the often mentioned "Weber engineers" and see where they do their thing. It was very eye-opening.

https://youtu.be/iRSdgBebvLY

For those that don't like watching videos, here's the 50000 foot view. I think Weber did exactly what they needed to do. The grill isn't perfect...but for $1199 I think they hit a home run. They did a lot of homework on the front end, and it really paid off. They engineered a lot of the problems common with pellet grills out of this one while retaining what people love about them. One thing they said that stuck with me was they tried to make a cooker that could "Sear like a Genesis and smoke like a Weber Smokey Mountain" and I think they got really close on both ends.

Thanks for watching. I really appreciate you guys.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
creek bottom
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joe

Thank You!!! I really appreciate your videos and this follow up. I'm very interested in this grill/smoker as I probably will be replacing my gas grill next year. This looks like it might be the perfect replacement...

A1 Competition Smoker; Meadow Creek 96; Oklahoma Joe's Bronco (gone but not forgotten); Weber 26" & 22" Kettles; Camp Chef XXL Pellet Smoker; Blackstone 22" Portable; Weber 300 Series Gasser; Masterbuilt 30" Electric Cabinet
creek bottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Great info, Justin! Very much looking forward to seeing this cooker enter the market. Will be fun to see the rubber meet the road :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by creek bottom View Post
Thank You!!! I really appreciate your videos and this follow up. I'm very interested in this grill/smoker as I probably will be replacing my gas grill next year. This looks like it might be the perfect replacement...
My pleasure. There are alot of people in this situation and Weber knows this. I think that's why they put so much emphasis on making the grilling acceptable and easy to use (without having to take things apart.) They want it to be a similar cooking experience only with wood.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]

Old 11-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Great info, Justin! Very much looking forward to seeing this cooker enter the market. Will be fun to see the rubber meet the road :)
Totally agree man. I think we all win in the end because this is great for competition.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Back Maniac View Post
Hey guys,

One thing they said that stuck with me was they tried to make a cooker that could "Sear like a Genesis and smoke like a Weber Smokey Mountain" and I think they got really close on both ends.
I think that's a fair position to take, that's all I'd really expect out of a pellet grill anyhow. Look forward to seeing one in person.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:35 PM   #7
long haired hippie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

$1200 for a smoker? Cya later bye

Old 11-27-2019, 09:48 PM   #8
DevilsGrill
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Doug

Just commented on your vid. As a Yoder YS1500 owner im super impressed with this new Weber. Don't have a ton of experience with the brand owning only the std. kettle and a Family Q (to which they happily replaced my rusty grates for free due to a cleaning error in there original instructions) but even here in Australia the Webe brand is well respected and has a backup you can rely on.
DevilsGrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2019, 07:05 AM   #9
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by long haired hippie View Post
$1200 for a smoker? Cya later bye
Hi, I’m Bill. Welcome, You must be new to this site....

Joking aside, I’ll reserve judgement until it’s out but, unlike with the WSCG, I think they did a pretty good job on pricing. Yes it’s more than a Pit Boss but it’s a Weber and that’s always going to come at some premium. It’s similar to Traeger which is the market leader. Same price as the Rectec Bull which has always been a great bang for the buck among more midrange options. The Rectec probably has heavier duty construction but the Weber is likely solid enough and offsets that with the grilling capability and I think greater headroom which will give it a little more effective capacity

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2019, 07:50 AM   #10
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

This may not be important to anybody but me. Where are they made? USA or China?

Old 11-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #11
alecksjaycubs
Full Fledged Farker

From their website... "SmokeFire grills are made in the USA, incorporating globally sourced component parts."

Old 11-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #12
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Crispy

Sounds like China or elsewhere parts but assembled in USA. The price resembles that. I would hope Weber has good quality control though. Better pricing (not putting it down) than a $5300 Memphis that’s built in China. I’m still disappointed that Weber is coming to market with a controller that’s not really ready for WiFi app users & no accessories besides a cover. I’d like to see what a side shelf costs or maybe a front shelf or the better wheels! Just my opinion. Just seems a little rushed for holiday shopping. I’m still contemplating on ordering one the 2nd. I just don’t want reget my purchase because it’s not coming out with accessories that I want.
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #13
Mat
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Bacon View Post
Sounds like China or elsewhere parts but assembled in USA. The price resembles that. I would hope Weber has good quality control though. Better pricing (not putting it down) than a $5300 Memphis that’s built in China. I’m still disappointed that Weber is coming to market with a controller that’s not really ready for WiFi app users & no accessories besides a cover. I’d like to see what a side shelf costs or maybe a front shelf or the better wheels! Just my opinion. Just seems a little rushed for holiday shopping. I’m still contemplating on ordering one the 2nd. I just don’t want reget my purchase because it’s not coming out with accessories that I want.
I’m in same boat. I’m going back and forth preordering for same reasons.

But it’s Weber so you know they’re not going anywhere and I’ve owned Weber grills that have lasted decades. I started smoking on a WSM and the food that came off her was awesome. I even sold it for a decent amount considering it was 4 years old.

So I’m leaning towards doing it because I know whatever comes down the road will be top notch as always. And for $1200, compared to some Weber grills of same size, is reasonable.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #14
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Just to clarify, the WiFi app should be ready by the time it ships... Supposedly that’s the reason why it’s not shipping now. They want it ready from day 1. I personally have had so many issues with WiFi from the day I bought my first cyberQ to 8 years ago most recently my MAK that I didn’t want to say anything until I saw it.

I also forgot to mention it has Bluetooth capability as well. So when close it’s Bluetooth and further away it’s Wi-Fi.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #15
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Side note:Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope you have a wonderful day.