Deep South Roadtrip: Where Do I Need to Eat?

carpetbagger1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Farkers,

The family and I are getting ready to head out for a major roadtrip through the deep south. What meccas of BBQ must we visit and pay homage to? I'm not looking for good or decent establishments, I am looking for places that are an absolute must see/eat! Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Here is a list of cities we are visiting. Share your wisdom oh wise ones. Much appreciated.

Goldboro, NC
Florence, SC
Helen, GA
Orange Beach, AL
New Orleans
Natchez, MS
Jackson, MS
Oxford, MS
Piney Flats, TN

Don’t think I’d be seeking BBQ in New Orleans.
I’d be looking at places like Brennan’s or Commander’s Palace.

Last edited:
Not exactly sure about those locations but when you leave Florence and if you head about 2 hrs south you can go to Lewis BBQ. If you haven't heard of it, He started with Aaron Franklin some say he helped develop his brisket recipe, Don't know but I haven't made it to Franklin's but Lewis is some of the best you will ever eat. Well worth the detour.
There's also Rodney Scotts, He does whole hog and is great pork.

^^^^Agree with Wilbers and McCall’s. Also hit Nuhunta Pork Center in Pikeville for fresh pork, smoked and fresh sausage, liver pudding and “barbecue” to go in tubs.

If you're driving I65 through North Alabama you can take a 20 min detour and hit Big Bob Gibsons in Decatur. The chicken with white sauce is a North AL specialty.

You can get fed at The Shed between Orange Beach & New Orleans off of I-10 in Ocean Springs MS.

In Jackson go to cock of the walk. Best catfish house in America

Orange beach, drive about 15 minutes to perdido key and go to fisherman’s corner under the perdido bridge. To me it’s the best resteraunt in that general area.

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like great suggestions. My hope is the Q will help balance two weeks in the car with a 5 year old.

Oxford, MS; go to the Chevron and get some chicken on a stick.

Oxford, MS; go to the Chevron and get some chicken on a stick.

I think that might require drinking for 10 hours beforehand. Sounds like a win win. My go to was one original and one buffalo. Sooo good!

I will say no BBQ has disappointed more than Big Bob Gibsons. Been there 3 times and each time the BBQ was Dickeys good, at best. That is not a compliment.

I will say a couple hour detour to Lewis or Franklin's is well worth it IMHO.

When you go to Orange Beach (we will be in July, again) hit the Shrimp Baskets if you like fried seafood for cheap. While there grab a bottle of their hot sauce. We love it.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I will say no BBQ has disappointed more than Big Bob Gibsons. Been there 3 times and each time the BBQ was Dickeys good, at best. That is not a compliment.

I will say a couple hour detour to Lewis or Franklin's is well worth it IMHO.

When you go to Orange Beach (we will be in July, again) hit the Shrimp Baskets if you like fried seafood for cheap. While there grab a bottle of their hot sauce. We love it.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

For some reason the food is much better at the Big Bob's Beltline location versus the original 6th Avenue. That said, don't expect great brisket at either. It's good, but not great. The pork is typically really good (can be great if you ask for bark/"outside meat"). The chicken with white sauce you either love or hate.

But for chicken in Decatur, Scruggs has the absolute best, and their cornbread when fresh is awesome.

2nd Shrimp Basket in Orange Beach.
So much great food in NOLA, Coops fried chicken, get some char grilled oysters while in NOLA-I don’t like oysters, but char grilled oysters are excellent.

Back