BGE Question

OneHump

is one Smokin' Farker
I've been watching some videos of people cooking with Eggs, and I noticed that the grill surface is about 4" below the lip of the Egg. It would seem that this would make it less than convenient to access meat with a spatula, especially if it's on the near side edge.

Has this been a problem for anyone?

OneHump, it can make it difficult if you have a lot of stuff on there & have it right up to the edges, but really isn't much of a problem. Often times you will be cooking on a raised grid anyway that is at or above rim level, depending on what you are cooking. The deepness though is a benefit when trying to fit larger things in (multiple butts, turkeys, multi-level cooking). Marc

Like Marc, It can be an issue with a full load, but I just generally go in at a different angle for those pieces close to the edge. You can also use a raised grid to bring the surface up higher if you want to. Some guys make their own that sits on the stock grid, but BGE sells one and there are after-market raised grid systems as well. I use the Adjustable Rig from ceramicgrillstore.com since it allows multiple levels.

I've been watching some videos of people cooking with Eggs, and I noticed that the grill surface is about 4" below the lip of the Egg. It would seem that this would make it less than convenient to access meat with a spatula, especially if it's on the near side edge.

Has this been a problem for anyone?

When searing meats (the only time my grate sits low), I always use a set of tongs anyway. What would you possibly need a spatula for? When cooking indirect, you use a plate setter, and that brings the grate up to the same height as the lip.

edit - I guess if you were doing burgers or something, a spatula might be used.

It's never been an issue here and something like that would be the type of thing to aggravate me..........

I never really thought of it as a problem. When it's time to get the ones close to the front edge, I spin the grate with my spatula and go straight in.

I use both meaning I made a raised grate with a webber grate and some hardware. I'm pretty sure I got the idea from someone who posted it here. Thanks by the way to whoever posted it!!

Here it is after I made it and the way I store it as well. It fits through the BGE lower grate.

It's nice for fish or burgers for example that don't always lend themselves to tongs.

Raisedgrid3.jpg

Great responses from everyone, thanks for that.

I would definitely use a spatula for burgers or fish. It sounds like it's no big deal though.

I'm going to see about getting an egg tomorrow when GreenLeaf opens. :)

I would definitely use a spatula for burgers or fish. It sounds like it's no big deal though.

I love mine:thumb: You will 2.

Green Leaf is open today, get your EGG ordered.

One advantage of the Primo Grill is the grates are reverseable - you can put them in the "down" position for searing steaks or flip them over to the "up" position where the grate is level with the outer shell. Very handy when using a pizza peel!

Back