High humidity and an offset

Dixie Chicken

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Saturday was in the 90's with 95% humidity and no wind to speak of. I had 2 pork butts and 2 racks of ribs to cook on an older Oklahoma Joe Longhorn. On "normal" days the pit draws great however, Saturday it took a huge fire to get temps to get up to 230 / 240 and stay there. I burn sticks and it usually runs between 250 & 260 with no effort. This has happened previously when the weather was the same and just wanted to ask if anyone else has the same problem and how did you solve the issue? A small fan did not help. I ended up watching the fire a lot closer.
Thanks for any suggestions for the next time.

Was your wood a little wetter (damp) than usual? You might try adding some charcoal next time to bump up the heat along with preheating your wood to get the moisture out.

I'm guessing the humidity in your wood caused a lot of the heat to go into steam. How was your smoke, good, bad, other?

My guess is that 2 butts and 2 racks is a fairly full load for that rig. If that is more quantity than your typical cook, you may have just been dealing with airflow being hampered by the meats themselves. I find anytime I cook at a rigs maximum capacity, airflow changes, and "normal" pit temps get reduced, and require a larger fire to get temps up.

Homesmoke - The wood is kept under cover and is well seasoned. The end result was great in for so far as the finished product, it was just a battle all day. The only thing I can figure is the air is so saturated with moisture it may be harder to heat, thus reducing the draw.

Sorry, Sid Post. I looked at your reply and answered to homesmoke.
homesmoke - I started the butts 4 hours earlier so there was just the 2 butts on a 40" x 20 " space, I had the issue then, too.

Some smart physics people say that the humidity in the air doesn't make a substantial difference in the energy required to heat the air:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...s-how-much-time-is-needed-for-heating-the-air

But look at that last answer about moist objects potentially requiring substantial energy to heat. My guess is that the moisture in your meat had a lot more to do with the issue than the moisture in the air.

Also, your wood may not have been as dry as you think it is. Even if it is covered, it can absorb some moisture if the weather has been consistently wet.

Monkey Uncle - As humid as it can be in Alabama plus the fact we get an afternoon thunderstorm frequently during the summer, I am sure the wood absorbs more than other locations , however it does not hit by rain directly.
I appreciate the article. I tried researching yesterday afternoon however two of my grandsons had a different idea for the use of my time.

I don't use an offset, but I have done my share of wood working. Wood soaks in moisture like a sponge - even in a short period of time.

I can see Dixie's issues with getting things going.

I spoke with a friend of mine this morning that cooks on a BGE with lump charcoal and he had the same problem on Saturday. Kind of weird, totally different type of cooker, different fuels and yet the same issue. Do any of you deep south brothers have the draw problem on high (+ 90%) humidity days?

Back