Grass fed verses Grain fed shorties

Titch

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Titch :-)
Had a few people over for dinner and used both types of meats.
Compared both types for fun.
Everyone prefered the Grass fed with a non blind tasting
means nothing I know but it was tasty fun
Grain fed had a slash cut in the top so I could remember which was which

Grass fed on the left, grain fed on the right.

grass

grain

grain

grass

grain

grass

about now I lost track, beer does that.

They both look great...but I'm surprised the grass fed is better than grain fed.
Do you know if it was all grass/no grain and all grain/no grass?

They both look great...but I'm surprised the grass fed is better than grain fed.

Is there such a thing as all grain/no grass? I thought pretty much all young cattle graze most of their lives until time for the slaughter house or feed lot. I’m no expert though.

I’m also surprised the grass fed was such a big hit. I personally have found I like grain finished beef better, partly for the higher fat, but also the flavor itself. I have a love/hate relationship with dry aged beef, fwiw.

Looks great titch. I prefer grass fed myself. What is that side in the photo? Scallop potatoes with sweet corn and veg in them? Or something else? I want some of that. Post that recipe please. I got a lot of sweet corn put up. Went bonkers and planted 5 acres last summer.

Looks delicious! Now I want to try this myself. If you can put it into words, what was the difference in taste like?

Depending on the Feed lot, but I believe 3 months on Grain, Standing around eating and putting on weight.

Looks great titch. I prefer grass fed myself. What is that side in the photo? Scallop potatoes with sweet corn and veg in them? Or something else? I want some of that. Post that recipe please. I got a lot of sweet corn put up. Went bonkers and planted 5 acres last summer.

Thanks mate Thats a lot of Corn, I will ask Vonnie to write it up for you.
Going away for a week so may take a while

Looks delicious! Now I want to try this myself. If you can put it into words, what was the difference in taste like?

I,m not sure if its actual Taste but the back of the mouth feel if that makes sense.
Unlike a piece of steak grilled
The Oakridge rub and Cherry wood stood out.
Had less fat but was just as tender.
My impression was beered though

Vonnie wrote this up special for you

With this dish you use as much or as little as you like.

INGREDIENTS
Potato -very thinly sliced and pat dry
Onion - chopped finely
Jalapeno - deseeded and diced
Red Bell peppers - diced
Tasty Cheese (heaps of) - grated
Bacon -chopped finely
Corn ... bbq'd then cut all the corn of the cob
Slap ya Mama

MIX all ingredients EXCEPT potato in a bowl

Heat garlic (about 2 heaped teaspoons) with a bit of butter.
Place in the baking dish and spread it around.
Layer the bottom of dish with one layer of potato, overlapping each slice.
Spread a layer of the mixture over the potato and continue to layer with potato and mixture till all gone.
Pour approx half cup cream over the top then place a piece of baking paper on top then cover with alfoil

Bake 375f for about an hour, remove alfoil and baking paper and continue baking for approx another hour.

If it darkens too quick cover loosely with alfoil till done

Enjoy :)

Vonnie wrote this up special for you

With this dish you use as much or as little as you like.

INGREDIENTS
Potato -very thinly sliced and pat dry
Onion - chopped finely
Jalapeno - deseeded and diced
Red Bell peppers - diced
Tasty Cheese (heaps of) - grated
Bacon -chopped finely
Corn ... bbq'd then cut all the corn of the cob
Slap ya Mama

MIX all ingredients EXCEPT potato in a bowl

Heat garlic (about 2 heaped teaspoons) with a bit of butter.
Place in the baking dish and spread it around.
Layer the bottom of dish with one layer of potato, overlapping each slice.
Spread a layer of the mixture over the potato and continue to layer with potato and mixture till all gone.
Pour approx half cup cream over the top then place a piece of baking paper on top then cover with alfoil

Bake 375f for about an hour, remove alfoil and baking paper and continue baking for approx another hour.

If it darkens too quick cover loosely with alfoil till done

Enjoy :)

Thank you Vonnie :clap: and Titch! This is definitely happening.

Back