Ghetto looftlighter on sale right now!

insurroundsound

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My latest harbor freight email had this lil item in it. I already own a looftlighter, but i notice that my heating element -- after 7 years -- is not heating up as bright as it used to.

I think I'll pick up one of these as a cheap alternative. Can't be the price!

Attachments

• heat-gun.jpg
    heat-gun.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 285
Meanwhile here in Kentucky....

accab10722ba83e8a9c552a969d665bc--fall-leaves-pile.jpg

If you were closer, I've got a 50+ yr old electric charcoal starter you could have. It even has the original box.

If you were closer, I've got a 50+ yr old electric charcoal starter you could have. It even has the original box.

don't think i'm gonna get 50 years out of my looft lighter...lol...they don't make things like they used to....I used to own one of those electric starters where u stick the elements in the charcoal and let'r rip...but then I fell in love with the looft lighter option once I discovered it...it's worked well for me, esp for low and slow startups in the BGE...

But don't think I'll drop another $80 on one....$10?...i'll bite...

Never heard of a looft lighter before, but it apparently is just a heat gun? What are pros and cons of that compared to a torch? Or even a chimney?

I wonder if you could make a "barrel shroud," or some kind of tube similar to the Looftlighter, that would fit on the metal of the heat gun... maybe out of EMT (thinwall metal conduit) or something similar... that way you're blowing the heat farther from your hands (and the cord of the heat gun)

just a thought

I wonder if you could make a "barrel shroud," or some kind of tube similar to the Looftlighter, that would fit on the metal of the heat gun... maybe out of EMT (thinwall metal conduit) or something similar... that way you're blowing the heat farther from your hands (and the cord of the heat gun)

just a thought

Wouldnt it come with a paint strip attachment? same thing I think,maybe

Thanks for the insight. I got the same add and noticed it too. Never would have thought to use it that way

The Hazard Fraught heat gun is a great way to start a bunch of charcoal

I removed the forward shell covering the heat tube so that there would be less plastic near the coals.

I also wiped down the heat gun and cord with 409, as it stinks badly of jungle rot out of the box.

Been using the same HF heat gun since 2012. Have two in storage just in case.

Works like a champ to start royal oak lump in the egg

Same, I've been using that HF heat gun for about 4 years now and it works fine. Looftlighter is for those people who need every shiny toy out there.

Same, I've been using that HF heat gun for about 4 years now and it works fine. Looftlighter is for those people who need every shiny toy out there.

Ditto.

When I first saw it my initial reaction was, its a freaking heat gun for 6x the price?

Then I watched people proudly post videos of them using it?! I kept my mouth shut because some people just like throwing their money away. For me, I've been using the same 8 dollar electric charcoal lighter for about 15 years now.

Push it into charcoal, plug it in, check back in 3 minutes and you got glowing red coals. Dont overthink it.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ch...Backyard||71700000057441097|58700005323929594

Back