Smokefire

NoCoPk360

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Took the plunge and bought a Weber Smokefire. My local Ace had one on the floor and they gave me a couple of hundred off and about half off on a cover. I immediately contacted Weber and requested the pellet hopper ramp and the new auger assembly. They sent them no questions asked so I installed them before firing it up. On burn in it went to 600 with no problems. I'm optimistic they've gotten the bugs worked out. I've heard the flavor it produces is great which is why I bought it. Had a Grilla Silverback but just wasn't happy with the end result. Looking forward to testing it out and comparing the flavor produced to my other grills.

Last edited:
Installing the new auger chute is a bit of a process, but not overly difficult. Just make sure you have a sturdy T-20 screwdriver before starting (for 1 stinking screw). Run the screws into the new chute and remove them to pre thread before you try to attach it too. You should easily be able run for a while with the stock chute as well before the gasket starts to break down.

Mine came with the hopper insert, but not the auger. I removed the finger guard, lubed the ramp with food safe silicone spray (probably not needed) and have run well over 200lbs of pellets through it problem free. I do use drip trays on greasy LnS cooks.

Grease and firmware issues were most of the initial problems. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine. It's definitely my primary cooker and gets used multiple times per week. Produces a LOT more smoke flavor than any of the several pellet grills I've had. Though it's still not going to be the same as a charcoal smoker or stick burner.

Last edited:
How would you know if you bought a new one if hit had the updated auger? I look at my local lowes and they had two of the bigger models on the floor. One had the old style pellet hopper and one had the new style pellet hopper.

How would you know if you bought a new one if hit had the updated auger? I look at my local lowes and they had two of the bigger models on the floor. One had the old style pellet hopper and one had the new style pellet hopper.

The new auger chute is black vs bare metal/silver. It's just the little chute down at the bottom of the hopper. The part inside the hole under the finger guard. My guess would be that they probably have the old auger. I bought my EX4 direct from Weber on 6/29 and it came with the hopper insert, but still had the old auger chute, very frustrating. As well, I called and tried to get the welded chute and they wouldn't give it to me then. It was frustrating because most reports are of people getting it sent out no questions asked. I finally got them to send it to me 2 months later.

Installing the new auger chute is a bit of a process, but not overly difficult. Just make sure you have a sturdy T-20 screwdriver before starting (for 1 stinking screw). Run the screws into the new chute and remove them to pre thread before you try to attach it too. You should easily be able run for a while with the stock chute as well before the gasket starts to break down.

Mine came with the hopper insert, but not the auger. I removed the finger guard, lubed the ramp with food safe silicone spray (probably not needed) and have run well over 200lbs of pellets through it problem free. I do use drip trays on greasy LnS cooks.

Grease and firmware issues were most of the initial problems. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine. It's definitely my primary cooker and gets used multiple times per week. Produces a LOT more smoke flavor than any of the several pellet grills I've had. Though it's still not going to be the same as a charcoal smoker or stick burner.

Looking forward to using it. Switched the auger shoot before doing the burn in so should be good to go. Held 600 for 40 minutes last night with no issues. Hope they come up with a better grease solution than lining the bottom with drip pans.

Hard to say on the grease management, their design helps tremendously with grilling and actually getting smoke flavor at higher temps where most other pellet grills fall short. I used drip pans in my kettle, I use them in my WSCG, so I’ve succumbed to using them in the SmokeFire. It was hard to embrace at first having gone through 8 other pellet grills never using them. SmokeFire is a different beast. I will say it’s the easiest pellet grill to clean if you keep grease out of the ashes. I’m not saying others are hard to clean, this is just easier yet.

It will be interesting to see if Weber engineers or someone else creative comes up with something though and that doesn’t take away from the current functionality.

Back