MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
insurroundsound
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Ghetto looftlighter on sale right now!

My latest harbor freight email had this lil item in it. I already own a looftlighter, but i notice that my heating element -- after 7 years -- is not heating up as bright as it used to.

I think I'll pick up one of these as a cheap alternative. Can't be the price!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heat-gun.jpg (25.7 KB, 285 views)
[COLOR="DimGray"]O.G. Rock's Stoker (White); Thermapens/BlueDots; Ceramic Grill Store Adj. BGE Rig & Spider...blah, blah, blah[/COLOR][/FONT]
insurroundsound is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #2
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Meanwhile here in Kentucky....

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
JD08
is one Smokin' Farker

If you were closer, I've got a 50+ yr old electric charcoal starter you could have. It even has the original box.
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

I find it interesting. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9EvHydhHXE

Old 09-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
insurroundsound
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD08 View Post
If you were closer, I've got a 50+ yr old electric charcoal starter you could have. It even has the original box.
don't think i'm gonna get 50 years out of my looft lighter...lol...they don't make things like they used to....I used to own one of those electric starters where u stick the elements in the charcoal and let'r rip...but then I fell in love with the looft lighter option once I discovered it...it's worked well for me, esp for low and slow startups in the BGE...

But don't think I'll drop another $80 on one....$10?...i'll bite...
[COLOR="DimGray"]O.G. Rock's Stoker (White); Thermapens/BlueDots; Ceramic Grill Store Adj. BGE Rig & Spider...blah, blah, blah[/COLOR][/FONT]
insurroundsound is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #6
CivilTrojan
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Never heard of a looft lighter before, but it apparently is just a heat gun? What are pros and cons of that compared to a torch? Or even a chimney?
CivilTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #7
JEStucker
Full Fledged Farker

Location: That one particular harbor, So far, but yet so near
Name/Nickname : Jeff

I wonder if you could make a "barrel shroud," or some kind of tube similar to the Looftlighter, that would fit on the metal of the heat gun... maybe out of EMT (thinwall metal conduit) or something similar... that way you're blowing the heat farther from your hands (and the cord of the heat gun)

just a thought

Old 09-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #8
16Adams

Bought 2

Old 09-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #9
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEStucker View Post
I wonder if you could make a "barrel shroud," or some kind of tube similar to the Looftlighter, that would fit on the metal of the heat gun... maybe out of EMT (thinwall metal conduit) or something similar... that way you're blowing the heat farther from your hands (and the cord of the heat gun)

just a thought
Wouldnt it come with a paint strip attachment? same thing I think,maybe

Old 09-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #10
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Thanks for the insight. I got the same add and noticed it too. Never would have thought to use it that way

Old 09-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #11
Marquez
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Marquez

The Hazard Fraught heat gun is a great way to start a bunch of charcoal

I removed the forward shell covering the heat tube so that there would be less plastic near the coals.

I also wiped down the heat gun and cord with 409, as it stinks badly of jungle rot out of the box.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #12
Curt.P
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Curt

Being from Hazard Fart, there's a good chance that it'll ignite itself before it'll light charcoal.
Curt.P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #13
AUswimKC
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : AUswimKC

Been using the same HF heat gun since 2012. Have two in storage just in case.

Works like a champ to start royal oak lump in the egg
AUswimKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #14
mcdeadstein
Knows what a fatty is.

Same, I've been using that HF heat gun for about 4 years now and it works fine. Looftlighter is for those people who need every shiny toy out there.
mcdeadstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #15
Ylouder
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdeadstein View Post
Same, I've been using that HF heat gun for about 4 years now and it works fine. Looftlighter is for those people who need every shiny toy out there.
Ditto.

When I first saw it my initial reaction was, its a freaking heat gun for 6x the price?

Then I watched people proudly post videos of them using it?! I kept my mouth shut because some people just like throwing their money away. For me, I've been using the same 8 dollar electric charcoal lighter for about 15 years now.

Push it into charcoal, plug it in, check back in 3 minutes and you got glowing red coals. Dont overthink it.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cha...00005323929594
Ylouder is online now   Reply With Quote