Salutations from Madison, WI

davos

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Well, about a half-hour west of Madison in a blink and you miss it kind of small town. I've been smoking meats on and off since we bought our little place back 13 years ago. I started out with a char-broiler barrel grill without a firebox. My first attempts were indirect smoking. After some trial and error I was able to get a decent pork shoulder consistently from this approach. It was a ****ty, cheap-ass grill, though and rusted out pretty badly after 8 or 9 years. It wet my appetite, so to speak,to try to do more, though.

We then found a floor model of a Rivergrille offset vertical smoker for which looked like a great price. I didn't know enough to recognize this was a terrible piece of equipment that lacked that had such thin metal it would be hard to maintain heat and would bleed smoke something awful. But I learned a lot using it, despite frustrations at every turn. Switched from lump charcoal to hardwood sticks as a fuel source. Learned some things about managing heat. looked at other upgrading but so many really good smokers were just out of my price range. First time I saw the Bandera in a store, I really liked it. Much more solidly built than either of the other rigs I had worked with. Not 1/4 steel but still more substantial than other lower price grills I had seen. Liked a lot of the design features. Still more than we wanted to spend but more closer to affordable. This past weekend my wife, wonderful person she is, broke down and got me one as a surprise. So, now I've got the components all over the living room floor (the box was falling was not in the best shape and it was just easier to carry it in piece by piece rather than trying to haul the whole thing). I've lurked around here and other smoking forums looking for advice before. I joined up mostly to read the Bandera 101 document and to read about setting this beast up properly. Thought I would pop in and say hi.

Welocme to the asylum!

Take a look around and if you have questions please feel free to contact the moderator team or our senior members. Their names are color coded so you can recognized them.

Also, each section of the forum has a description that you can use to figure out where to post.

Finally, please review our rules! They are pretty straight forward, but looking at them up front may help to eliminate problems later :-D

Oh! Don't forget to add your name to the Brethren Map, located at the top of this Cattle Call forum.

Most important, have fun and join in our conversations and share and learn!

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Arizona and congratulations on the new Bandera.

Congratulations on the new smoker! Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome to the brethren, Rusty. Congrats on the new smoker and that wife seems like a keeper:wink:
I have never read the Bandera 101, but this forum started out as one for Bandera owners and evolved into what it is today. Enjoy yourself and jump in any place you would like. Anyone here is very willing to help you with any questions.

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Welocme... Rusty! You've come to the right place.

I've only ever driven through your fair city to Green Lake, WI and back... but I enjoyed the area when we were up there.

Hope you enjoy the forum, mate. Excellent information to build your proverbial toolbox (especially if you do a little digging on your own), and the folks are tops.

Welcome to the Brethren Rusty!

I'm in Madison at Carbone on a regular basis, sounds like you live in a really nice spot.

Welcome to the best clubhouse on the web Rusty!

Cross Plains? Black Earth? Mazomanie? Roxbury? Spill the beans buddy! Where ya from?

Yeah what Clark said, that way we can come over and drink your beer while imparting our expertise on all things Q... well the beer part is true. :)

Back