Old School - Shoulder Clod and lockhart style sausages

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
Decided to go old school - had a 14 pound clod - trimmed down to around 10 pounds - simply used kosher salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper for the rub

Used the trimmings - along with some brisket trimmings and brisket fat I had in the freezer - to make some c-link sausages. Like the clod, just went kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, bull flour binder and water -

Since no cure this time - went 180-200 for 2 hours running a smoky fire - pulled the sausages when they hit 150 and into an ice bath

Got the fire running between 275-300 right now - plan is to take the clod up to 145 or so - waiting for bark to set - then wrap in butcher paper and back to the smoker for an internal temp of 175-180 - give it a 4 to 6 hour rest in my warmer

I've never been able to find shoulder clod in my area (Killeen, TX). I usually do my BBQ meat shopping at HEB or Sam's Club. Where do you normally find them?

The sausages look good, and it's nice to see Big Phil's cookers being used. I like his videos and he seems like a very nice guy.

I've never been able to find shoulder clod in my area (Killeen, TX). I usually do my BBQ meat shopping at HEB or Sam's Club. Where do you normally find them?

The sausages look good, and it's nice to see Big Phil's cookers being used. I like his videos and he seems like a very nice guy.

Clods - up in Dallas I can find them at US Foods and the Costco business center - was also told you could ask the guys at HEB and they could get you one

The one I am cooking today came from a local rancher I have been buying some beef from - clods, briskets and Dino ribs - all have been spot on

I use to have a Johnson reverse flow smoker - Chad is a good dude - transitioned from reverse flow to the direct flow offset about 3 years ago

Clods - up in Dallas I can find them at US Foods and the Costco business center - was also told you could ask the guys at HEB and they could get you one

The one I am cooking today came from a local rancher I have been buying some beef from - clods, briskets and Dino ribs - all have been spot on

I use to have a Johnson reverse flow smoker - Chad is a good dude - transitioned from reverse flow to the direct flow offset about 3 years ago

Appreciate the info and I'll ask the butcher at HEB and see if they can square me away. I do LOVE my Johnson Smoker...the one I have now is the 2nd one I've gotten from him, and he has been a pleasure to work with both times.

Looks great! I'm in, just call me when it's ready.
Donnie, shoulder clods come in whole pieces and the butchers usually cut them into boneless shoulder roasts because I am sure that not many people ask for a whole one. The butcher should be happy to hook you up.

Looking good! I almost added a top shelf to my 1969 just so I could throw it away and use the shelf supports and some rebar to hang sausage. I can taste those links all the way up here in Idaho!

Wow, that looks amazing! When I get back to the US I'm definitely going to have to try smoking a full clod. Thanks for the thread, and the final pic...good stuff.

Looks awesome! Nice work.

Costco Business San Diego (Clairmont location) has clod. I keep meaning to try clod but the briskets are near the clod and I get distracted and always buy a brisket instead :)

That looks great!!!

If you get a chance, can you post a pic of what a whole shoulder clod looks like?
How many lbs is that usually?

Also, like you , I have the BlueSmoke Smoker.....what are you using to hang your sausages in there? I'm wanting to try something like that myself!!

Thank you in advance!!

cayenne

Clods are in the picture below - best picture I have - there were both about 12.5 pounds - I kept the fat cap on - and trimmed in down to about 9.5 pounds so it was a good shape for cooking. I used the 3 pounds of trim - along with some brisket trim and beef fat I had in the freezer - to make the sausage

The hanging rods are just 5/8” round bar - for my Blue Smoke they were 39 1/4 inch - but I think any type of rod/tubing would do

Back