Brisket Points

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I don't know if I've always overlooked them, but I saw points at the grocery store. I always see flats. First for the points.

The only way you find seperate points here is corned beef :( Not that I don't like corned beef, it just doesn't seem to be smoker material.

kcquer said:
The only way you find seperate points here is corned beef :( Not that I don't like corned beef, it just doesn't seem to be smoker material.

Oh, no my friend! I did the corned beef without putting all the stuff on it that came with the point...awesome, I fully intend on doing it again!

Oh, no my friend! I did the corned beef without putting all the stuff on it that came with the point...awesome, I fully intend on doing it again!

Ditto dude

I tired it and it turned out like shoe leather. Gonna have to try it again.

Ok, so let me get this straight. You folks bought one of those "corn-yer-own-beef" packages from your local store, skipped the corning process and proceeded to smoke it? Fantastic...those bad boys are always so cheap...less then 6 bucks at times!

This could possibly be the poor-man's brisket!!!!

Ghetto brisket mod?

BigBelly said:

Ok, so let me get this straight. You folks bought one of those "corn-yer-own-beef" packages from your local store, skipped the corning process and proceeded to smoke it? Fantastic...those bad boys are always so cheap...less then 6 bucks at times!

This could possibly be the poor-man's brisket!!!!

Ghetto brisket mod?

That's exactly what I did. It was about 4 lbs, had it in the smoker at about 220* for three hours, foiled it for about two and a half hours at 220* (waited for the internal temp to get to 180* or so), than put it in a cooler for and hour (Pretty much your 3-2-1), it was perfect! I did a couple of racks of ribs and two whole chickens at also, and the briskit was the first to go!

Ok, so let me get this straight. You folks bought one of those "corn-yer-own-beef" packages from your local store, skipped the corning process and proceeded to smoke it?
That's what i did too, but i farked it up. Way too tough, way to salty.

I foiled mine for the whole cook while I was cooking a couple of briskets
had Reubens which could of been better the rye bread in oklahoma is weak

I soaked mine in TK's marinade for 24 hrs. and it seemed to cut some of the saltyness. Also used a rub with lots of brown sugar.

Man, we have stumbled across the poor man's brisket gentlemen!

BigBelly said:
Man, we have stumbled across the poor man's brisket gentlemen!
What you've stumbled across, gentlemen, is also known as pastrami.... you soak the corned beef in water for like 48 hours or so....changing the water at least 3 or 4 times.. then apply a rub of lots of black pepper and corriander.... if you search for 'homemade pastrami' recipes you'll find all of this explained... damned good eating...haven't done one in a while....might have to do one this weekend.. have two packers in the fridg that a friend brought me from Super Walmart down south..$1.28/lb.... sounds like I'm smoking this weekend boys..

Ray

What you've stumbled across, gentlemen, is also known as pastrami

Thanks Ray! I was hoping somebody else knew what pastrami was!! :D

Back