Easy Caesar Salad Dressing -Live

chingador

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I used to do tableside Caesar salads at a country club I worked at in the late 80's. Still make it to this day especially these days doing keto. I usually make a big thing of Caesar dressing and eat it over the week. I have modified my recipe a bit. I do not grind it into a wooden bowl like done traditionally. I use a metal bowl, garlic press and anchovy paste for ease of use. Instead of olive oil I use a more neutral avocado/coconut oil. This is not traditional. In my opinion, elevated. Here are the ingredients:

Avocado/coconut oil about 10 tbs
Red wine vinegar - about 4 tbs
Parmesan cheese fine grated about a half cup to 3/4 cup, way more than traditional
Dijon mustard about 1.5 tbs
4-6 cloves garlic
2tbs anchovy paste
Lemon juice
Splash Worcestershire
3 egg yolks

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Putting the dressing together:

Traditionally you use a wooden bowl. Dust the inside of the bowl with some salt and black pepper and grind down the garlic and a couple anchovy fillets with a fork. You squeeze a lemon over the anchovies and garlic to help break it down. Instead I mince fresh garlic with a press and use anchovy paste. Still use lemon juice to break it down. I use the cheap yellow squeeze bottles found in produce sections

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 118
The order to which you do things is important. Next I add the Parmesan cheese and red wine vinegar. It was explained to me that the vinegar ferments the cheese a bit. Not sure how true it is but I do this anyway. I use way more Parmesan than the traditional recipe calls for. It helps thicken the dressing and it just works

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 118
Now we add 3 egg yolks. I fill a bowl with hot tap water to temper the eggs a bit. Then separate the yolks from the whites and add to dressing. Also I add a bs or a little more and a heavy splash of Worcestershire to the dressing. Only thing missing now is the oil.

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 115
In the first post I misread 10 tbs of oil as 10 lbs of oil. For a second I thought you were going to make a ton of dressing. Stuff is looking good.

Now all we do is add the oil. Once again I use Avocado/coconut mix. It is neutral and I like the flavor balance. Traditionally you use EVOO but in my opinion it overpowers the dressing. About 10 running tablespoons. Blend well with a whisk and dressing is finished. Transfer to an airtime container and place in the fridge for a while.

At this point you can add some course black pepper, crushed red pepper, splash of hot sauce or even some,chopped capers.

Flavors should be in balance. You might get a semi strong hit of anchovy, but not one flavor should dominate.

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 115
Thanks for step by step tutorial! I love tableside made Caesar salad. It's fun to watch the dressing being made at the table and it tastes even better. I really like traditional Caesar dressing but I will try your variation.

Traditionally Caesar salad is made with romaine lettuce. Once again, I am not a fan so I substitute half and half spring mix and arugula. There are time I use 100% arugula. The lemony notes of arugula work perfect with Caesar dressing. Instead of bread croutons I use crumbled Parmesan crisps. You can find these at the grocery store near salad dressings and croutons

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 114
Just understand. I am probably going heavier on the Parmesan than you really need to go. Depending on your taste you can probably up the garlic too.

Thanks for sharing! Very impressed with the recipe!

You can never have too much Parmesan BTW!

Back