MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Default Preparing for a Snack Stick and Summer Sausage weekend!

Started out with the picture. Thought that was the most powerful way to get my message through. Just picked up these 2 whole boneless English roast slabs and about 6-7lbs of pork trimmings. Roughly 49lbs of beef.

My goal is to make snack sticks and summer sausages to send to family and pass out between friends for a Christmas gift kinda thing. Was only going to pick up one of these slabs but the way I figured it a 5lb batch will only be 4 summer sausages as each of my summer sausage casings will hold 2.5lbs. I would be splitting the 2.5lb logs in 1/2 making 2 sausages in each one

I Picked up seasonings,casings and cure from www.sausagemaker.com they should be here later in the week. For right now I stuck the meat in the freezer. I'll let it sit out Friday night to be processed Saturday and smoking Sunday

Last edited by blazinfire; 12-04-2017 at 11:34 AM..
blazinfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
JDM46
is one Smokin' Farker

It is that time of the year. Will be doing the same this weekend.
(Rytek Kutas--Goetborg Recipe)

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Same thing here. Good luck all!
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
Lomey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

That's on my to do list this month. Good luck with yours!
Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM46 View Post
It is that time of the year. Will be doing the same this weekend.
(Rytek Kutas--Goetborg Recipe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemci View Post
Same thing here. Good luck all!
'Tis the season. This is by far the most expensive cook I've done. A lot is riding on this one as I'm sending some out of state. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomey View Post
That's on my to do list this month. Good luck with yours!
Thanks!!

Old 12-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

You'll be fine......

Looks like you are off to a great start, keep us posted.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #7
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
You'll be fine......

Looks like you are off to a great start, keep us posted.
Heck ya man!! I got things under control! Just gonna be a looooong weekend LOL

Old 12-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Package came today from www.sausagemaker.com .. I purchased Insta-Cure #1, Summer Sausage seasoning, Breakfast sausage seasoning, and snack stick seasoning. Also bought 61mm summer sausage fibrous casings, 22mm collagen casings for breakfast sausasges, and 19mm collagen casings for the snack sticks.

Ready to rock'n'roll here. Because I will be shipping these I will be waiting til Friday and spend all weekend making them. Having them prepared to ship Monday Morning.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Alright came into a problem here.. The smallest stuffing tube that came with the LEM stuffer is a 1/2" and the 19mm casing will not fit the stuffing tube.

Are stuffer tubes universal? Or do I need to purchase LEM product? Wondering if I could just go to cabela's and buy one of their sausage stuffer tubes and it will work with my LEM stuffer. Is there a quick fix to this without having to buy a smaller tube?

Old 12-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #10
Cat797
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

I do t think they are universal....I've seen a couple recent posts on the FB sausage page saying that. Looks like you need the 3/8" tube from LEM....

Old 12-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #11
Lomey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I also think they are universal.
Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #12
Joshw
Babbling Farker

They are universal, assuming you get a tube with the right size base. Not sure what size base your stuffer takes, but as long as you get a tube with the same diameter base as it, you are fine. I believe Cabellas sells LEM, or at least rebranded LEM.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #13
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
They are universal, assuming you get a tube with the right size base. Not sure what size base your stuffer takes, but as long as you get a tube with the same diameter base as it, you are fine. I believe Cabellas sells LEM, or at least rebranded LEM.
Yeah no luck on finding a 3/8 stuffer nozzle. I drove an hour away to a cabela's they had no nozzles... so I decided to buy 21mm casings... They didn't have any... so Just to keep with my schedule I bought another box of hi-mountain seasonings that come with the 21mm casings... I'll buy a 3/8 nozzle next batch..

I found out I can also fit the 19mm's but its really hard to get started and it seems to wanna "Stretch" the casing quite a bit.. Can only fit 1-2ft of casing.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #14
Highlife4me
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
Alright came into a problem here.. The smallest stuffing tube that came with the LEM stuffer is a 1/2" and the 19mm casing will not fit the stuffing tube.

Are stuffer tubes universal? Or do I need to purchase LEM product? Wondering if I could just go to cabela's and buy one of their sausage stuffer tubes and it will work with my LEM stuffer. Is there a quick fix to this without having to buy a smaller tube?
You should be able to get a 19mm casing on a 1/2" tube. Might have to stretch the casing apart to get it on the tube. I did buy a 3/8 tube for stuffing sticks but I found it is much easier to just use the shorter lengths on the bigger tube. Its a lot of work to push the meat through the smaller tube and a huge PITA when doing it all by yourself.
Highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #15
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlife4me View Post
You should be able to get a 19mm casing on a 1/2" tube. Might have to stretch the casing apart to get it on the tube. I did buy a 3/8 tube for stuffing sticks but I found it is much easier to just use the shorter lengths on the bigger tube. Its a lot of work to push the meat through the smaller tube and a huge PITA when doing it all by yourself.

Oh so stretching them is ok? I figured if you had to stretch the casing a bit.. it would make it easier to burst? Like I said in an above post. I was able to get it to fit on the nozzle but very tightly and it seemed like the casing was stretching. I ordered the 19mm purely for the fact I thought the 21mm was slightly to big for my liking when it came to snack sticks. Would seem stretching it would make ordering 199mm mostly pointless :P