• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help With Salmon

GQue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Having some peeps over on Sunday. They want salmon. I thought I would try some on the smoker FEC100 (only had it for a few months) have not cooked salmon on it before. Thought I would ask the experts - you all - How to you like to prepare salmon cooked on a smoker. Note I am not looking for anything on smoked salmon served cold looking for tips/recipes on how you like to prepare you salmon on a smoker. It will be served as dinner if you have any suggestions on good sides to make all in the smoker as well I am all ears. Looking forward to the responses - Thanks in advance

I brine mine with a mix from Cabela's. Then smoke at low temp (around 200*) until they are to temp and color looks good.

As far as a recipe for serving, I suggest the following:

Saute some peppers, mushrooms, bacon, and whatever else you might want for flavoring in olive oil. Flake the salmon and add it to the mix just long enough for it to warm a bit. Then add a half cup of cooking wine. Let it warm again but not simmer or boil. Then add your favorite alfredo sauce. I like to use a roasted red pepper alfredo sauce (goes with the sauted peppers :-D). Let that come up and simmer. Reduce to the consistency you want. Then serve over farfalle or other pasta. I think farfalle works best though. This is very simple and very good. The other bonus is if some people do not like salmon as much, much of the salmon can be seperated and they still have a wonderful pasta with just a hint of salmon.

Edit: One other bonus of serving this dish is it will allow you to cover any minor mistakes you might have with the smoking process.

The above sounds real good, but I like mine real simple (KISS). I use Basik's Key West seasoning and just cook it, Viola, Salmon

Hi GQue
Salmon is (in my opinion) best done simply especially for dinner. A little salt,pepper,sprinkle a little brown sugar, and a few pats of butter. Let sit for an hour covered in the fridge. Then place in the smoker and give it a nice hot smoke until it's done. Serve to grateful guests.

I've done salmon a bunch since I started really smoking a few months ago. I always just do lemon pepper seasoning with a few pats of butter (sometimes I lay lemon slices on the pats of butter before putting it on the smoker). I also take it off the smoker then the salmon hits 140* exactly and it always turns out perfect.

Edit - if I am smoking between 225-250* it usually takes 30 - 40 minutes for the salmon to reach 140*.

Last edited by a moderator:
My go to salmon recipe is the same as Joey's. Lemon pepper and butter. I normally grill, but the FEC would work as well.

Cedar Plank Salmon

Marinade salmon fillet with skin on in:
1 Qt. vegtable oil
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tspn pepper
1 1/2 tspn basil
1 tspn oregano

Marinade for 30 minutes
Soak cedar plank in apple juice for 2 hr.
Place salmon fillet on cedar plank, skin down.
Top salmon with thin lemon slices and fresh rosemary.
Grill over hot fire for 15-20 minutes, until salmon flakes. Fire needs to be hot enough to get cedar plank to smolder, giving the salmon a nice hint of smoke flavor.

I cook salmon similar to steak. I typically season with parsley, pepper and Lawry's, but that can vary. I grill it very hot ~600* right on the grates for about 2-3 minutes per side. People seem to like it best when the outside is juicy and the inside rare to medium rare.

Terrrific! Thanks for the insights. If anyone has any others to share please do. I will try to take pics and post but I am not very technical

Alright - All of the above comments are great, season the salmon any way you like (unless it involves slathering mayo all over it).
First, starting with the right type of salmon helps - Atlantic has very little fat in it. Pacific and Alaskan salmon has much more fat - We know that fat is your friend...

THE KEY to incredible salmon is this (keep an open mind now)...

Koshering.
A few of the things that koshering will do:
1) most salmon you get in the super market these days is a bit mushy or mealy - koshering firms up the outter layer of flesh and gives a great flakey presentation.
2) anyone that has ever cooked salmon knows that the thing usually looks ugly as fark once it's done cooking - you have juice that's weeped out all over the place and then semi solidified on top, the meat is a horrible color (to me it looks exactly like ET's skin when he gets sick).
When you kosher, the outter layer of flesh is sealed up and no longer weeps all of this juice out, that allows the flesh to brown up and looks amazing.
3) Salmon dries out pretty easy since there is not much collegen or fat present to retain moisture. the koshering retains the juices by sealing the outter flesh. I have literally cut into a fillet after cooking this way and had juice squirt out! Tell me any time that's happened for you! Rarely if ever I would bet.

How to:
Take a skin on fillet and lay it skin side down in a shallow pan that will allow for the full length. Next completely cover the flesh side with rock salt (I use mortons ice cream salt, do not use any regular salt i.e. kosher, table or sea salt, these dislove too quickly and will impart a salty tasting fish). You want absolutely every square inch covered, no pink showing at all. Lightly press/pat the salt into the meat so that you have good contact.

Let that sit for about 20 min, no more than 30 min.
You will notice that some water will begin to puddle up in the bottom of the dish - You might be tempted to think that you're drying out the fish by doing this, that would be a mistake. In fact, you're literally sealing up the outside of the flesh so that during the cook no moisture will be lost.

After your 20-30 min kosher, rinse off all the salt under cold water and gently rub the flesh to remove all salt residue, I usually rinse for about 3 min or so. Pat dry with paper towels and pick off any scales that stuck to the flesh.

You'll probably notice that the flesh feels different after the kosher, it's no longer as slimey and it has a firmer texture on the outside.

Cooking:
I plank my salmon, it cooks more evenly and does not require turning. You can also take the plank directly to the serving table without it falling apart.
Many folks like cedar planks, meh... they're ok... the cedar flavor IMO overpowers the simple flavor of the fish and becomes distracting. The only time I use cedar is if I have time let it soak in a bucket of water for months to draw out the strong tannins that give off the strong cedar flavor. I prefer alder, maple or even oak.

Soak the plank in water for at least an hour (use a 5 gal bucket and set a weight on top to hold the plank under water)

15 min before you're ready to cook, put the plank into the heated cooker and let it preheat.
Rub a little olive oil on the top of it or spray some pam just before you put the fish on it, it'll help with clean up if you decide to use the plank again.
Lay the fillet on it and lightly season with any of the flavors you like the most, I would recommend using a lighter amount of salt as the koshering does impart a small amount of salt to the meat (far less than you'd think though, remember, this fish has lived in salt water all it's life and doesn't taste salty on it's own)

I typically grill it with this method, but if you're using the FEC 300 - 350 should be fine, depending on the thickness of the fillet, it takes about 45 min (little longer since the plank is slower to transfer heat to the underside of the fillet than what a grate would).

Cook it to 140 in the thickest part and remove. Not 141, not 142... 140.

A rest is not necessary - dig in!

Additional options to try - add a little sugar, brown sugar, garlic or herbs & spices to the rock salt - this will draw in some of those flavors during the koshering process.

As bizaar as this sounds, once you've tried it you'll never do salmon without it!

Sorry to thread-jack but since we were talking salmon I just had to brag a little. Good luck with your cook and definitely let us know how you cook it and how it turns out.

Just one haul of the 400lbs of Coho and Sockeye we came back with.
DSCN0588.jpg

Cleaning 24 10-15lb Silvers is quite a task.
DSCN0589.jpg

Hi GQue
Salmon is (in my opinion) best done simply especially for dinner. A little salt,pepper,sprinkle a little brown sugar, and a few pats of butter. Let sit for an hour covered in the fridge. Then place in the smoker and give it a nice hot smoke until it's done. Serve to grateful guests.

P.S.
You can tell when salmon is done by the white pellicule that appears on top of the meat, as soon as this appears, lift it in the middle if it beaks clean it is done. Never overcook fish.

I do not know if this is Koshering or not, but the last fillet i did was from Alton Brown and it came out great. The recipe called for mixing equal parts of salt & sugar and coating both sides before wrapping tight in foil that was lined with plastic wrap. You also coated the flesh side with honey before applying the salt/sugar mixture. After it is wrapped up, place it between two sheet pans with some weight on top and put in fridge for an hour. Flip and go another hour. Rinse and cook hot, indirect.
I thought of this more as a dry brine, but it came out so good, i will have to try Knuckleheads recipe, as it sounds similar. Also a plank cooker and agree that cedar is waaayyyy to strong. Alder is my favorite wood for salmon.

Paul

My goto smoked Salmon is a cedar plank salmon after marinating an a lime juice, rosemary, horseradish mix. I smoke at a high temp (300+) until flaky. It's always a hit.

Freeze freshly caught salmon for 3 days, let thaw, slice, and serve raw. :thumb:

If you insist on cooking it, simple seasoning and light smoke until it's just cooked.

Having some peeps over on Sunday. They want salmon. I thought I would try some on the smoker FEC100 (only had it for a few months) have not cooked salmon on it before. Thought I would ask the experts - you all - How to you like to prepare salmon cooked on a smoker. Note I am not looking for anything on smoked salmon served cold looking for tips/recipes on how you like to prepare you salmon on a smoker. It will be served as dinner if you have any suggestions on good sides to make all in the smoker as well I am all ears. Looking forward to the responses - Thanks in advance

I season mine with Italian dressing, and smoke for 12 minutes @ 450 degrees: hot & fast. Do NOT open & look... let it cook.

I get amazing results. Did some last night.

Love Salmon and like to cook it on a plank too. I have smoked it too but did a cure of kosher salt and brown sugar too. Check thirdeyes recipe site He has some good ways too. Ross in Ventura has done it on a cedar plank over lemonn slices I think

Well heck, I'm curious now, because I have a salmon to cook tonight. If I smoke it on the UDS and use a cedar plank, do I also throw some wood on the fire as usual?

The standard grate height on a UDS is too high for plank cooking. Better throw on some chips.

Paul

Back