Fermented Food

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Anybody mess around with lacto fermentation?

I saw a couple of videos on YouTube and it got me interested.

Two jars of golden beets with some jalapeno, the small red jar is a fresno pepper mash that I am fermenting for home made sriracha sauce and the large container is going to be a fermented hot sauce.

AMGnDI5l.jpg

I mainly make pickles, kraut, kimchi and hot sauce, but have played with carrots, green beans, cauliflower and others. I tend to be the only one eating anything besides pickles and kraut, so I only make a little at a time, so my experimentation has dropped off.

I remember my grandmother used to slice fruit, add some sugar and it would sit on the table. It could be cooked apples with cinnamon, or grapefruit or whatever. When we wanted some, we would just help ourselves to a little bowl of fruit. I remember one time it tasted really funny so I told her. I remember that she took a bite and her eyes got really wide and she took it off to the kitchen. Many years later I realized it had fermented and she was saving a little treat for herself.

That's a good book, Katz knows his stuff. I have one of his other works, "Wild Fermentation".

I dabble. I like fermented parsnips, carrots, and cauliflower w/peppers.

I tried to make kimchi once - it's the closest I ever came to being divorced.

I haven’t but wanted too..

Thanks for the recommendation Bruce, on its way from the library!

I've done both sauerkraut and kimchi with good results. Both attempts at pickles didn't work.
Initially I used mason jars with fermentation lids. Now I have a plastic fermentation tub that works well and holds a lot, it's from Crazy Korean Cooking.

I've been growing and fermenting Hatch peppers for some years now. Most awesome green chile sauce I ever had.

I do a lot of kraut, but have had trouble doing pickles -- can't hit the sweet spot where they taste good but haven't started to mold.

I also do a batch of hot sauce just about every year that always ends up really tasty.

Back