MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
Chett. L
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Preferred Wood Pellets for Smoking Steak

Wondering across the board if there is a common preferred wood pellet used to smoke Steak.

I am sure that there are no rules, however just wondering if there is a common preference used for Steak.

Thank you.

Last edited by Chett. L; 06-30-2020 at 04:42 PM..
Chett. L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
jdolor
On the road to being a farker

Go away
36” Blackstone
Country Smokers Traveler
Weber Smoke Fire - Works great after the upgrades
PK 360
CBJ
jdolor is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-30-2020, 11:00 PM   #3
Chett. L
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdolor View Post
Go away
Are you having mommy and daddy issues in your adult life, really. Everyone else here has been great! I am new to wood smoking and trying to learn. Just because you know more me right now is good for you. Lets pretend your an expert. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:25 PM   #4
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like the wooden ones. Actually I should edit to add that I prefer the Lumberjack brand.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link

Last edited by LYU370; 06-30-2020 at 11:38 PM..
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 12:10 AM   #5
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chett.l View Post
Are you having mommy and daddy issues in your adult life, really. Everyone else here has been great! I am new to wood smoking and trying to learn. Just because you know more me right now is good for you. Lets pretend your an expert. There is no such thing as a stupid question.
Just a thought. You may want to try to keep similar things in one thread. I don't think its your questions that drive people nuts around here. Try to limit very similar questions to one thread.
You have multiple threads with the same question but just about different meats. You very easily could have combined those threads into one.
I suggest you check out other folks threads to kind of get a feel for how the conversation flows around here. There is a bit of a culture here not just a random message board full of random posts. Good group of folks here and really this is more of a community feel around here. It takes some getting use to how things operate around here.

I never tried a steak on a pellet grill. I use hickory and cherry pellets for everything else though. I imagine hickory would work alright but maybe get Grill Grates for steak if they make them for your pellet grill. Pellet grills mostly are not known for being good for steak. Although, I think there are some exceptions now.

Anyways, good luck learning and hope you enjoy the new smoker.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 01:23 AM   #6
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
Just a thought. You may want to try to keep similar things in one thread. I don't think its your questions that drive people nuts around here. Try to limit very similar questions to one thread.
You have multiple threads with the same question but just about different meats. You very easily could have combined those threads into one.
I suggest you check out other folks threads to kind of get a feel for how the conversation flows around here. There is a bit of a culture here not just a random message board full of random posts. Good group of folks here and really this is more of a community feel around here. It takes some getting use to how things operate around here.

I never tried a steak on a pellet grill. I use hickory and cherry pellets for everything else though. I imagine hickory would work alright but maybe get Grill Grates for steak if they make them for your pellet grill. Pellet grills mostly are not known for being good for steak. Although, I think there are some exceptions now.

While I agree to this post 100%... The few threads could of been added into one... Still doesn't give anyone the right to say "Go away"... But also The OP should have replied to that in a different way instead of telling the dude he must have mommy/daddy issues.. LOL I think we are all adults here.. who cares what mommy/daddy says at this point

Now.. to answer the question to all threads.. 100% Hickory or cherry from lumber jack is my favorite pellets for everything!

Old 07-01-2020, 02:16 AM   #7
Chett. L
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
While I agree to this post 100%... The few threads could of been added into one... Still doesn't give anyone the right to say "Go away"... But also The OP should have replied to that in a different way instead of telling the dude he must have mommy/daddy issues.. LOL I think we are all adults here.. who cares what mommy/daddy says at this point

Now.. to answer the question to all threads.. 100% Hickory or cherry from lumber jack is my favorite pellets for everything!
Sounds good, thanks for your support & tips.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:19 AM   #8
Chett. L
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post

Thank you. Hickory seems to be very popular for all kinds of meat.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:09 AM   #9
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Crispy

I like mixing the LJ Char hickory & Oak for high heat cooks. It tastes good for reverse searing as well low & slow beef cooks. I like oak mixed with the completion blend for chicken & pork. I mix with oak because LJ pellets can be a little ashy & the oak helps with that & doesn’t really affect flavor. Hope this helps.
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 08:17 AM   #10
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

The only steak I have smoked is Tri-Tip and used the lumberjack MCH blend. I think now I prefer an indirect sear or a sous vide with a direct sear over charcoal.
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #11
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I thought "Go away" was pretty funny and I laughed. I know it was meant in jest. Don't take it seriously. There is nothing wrong with your multiple threads. They could have been combined, but no biggie either way.

I'm actually surprised how much smoke flavor I get on my steak using a pellet grill. For the record, I have a MAK. Once again, no wrong answer. I did like Lumberjack mesquite. Mesquite is a strong flavor, but I grew up with it as it was the only hardwood in the area.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #12
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Everyone has their preference, so I'll leave mine here.

Beef : Oak, Mesquite, Pecan
Pork : Apple, Pear, Cherry, Oak
Poultry : Apple, Oak, Pecan

All of this being said there are really no "hard and fast" rules on what flavors to use on which meat. We all have different preferences and I'm a firm believer that oak / pecan are perfect for all meats.

As you can see from some of the responses you've got this forum has some strange people on it. I've gotten a few nasty remarks over the last couple of years, but for the most part 99.9% of the posters here are very nice and they really do try to help. Try not to let it discourage you and just have a lot of fun with your smoker!

Old 07-01-2020, 01:27 PM   #13
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post

Yeah just to be clear not agreeing with saying go away. I typically ignore it when folks act funny anymore and the op seems upset by it but I figure he should know its not his questions that are making some folks a bit grumpy.

I have been frustrated in the past by some folks around here but it usually has stemmed from not understanding the culture around here. It is a lot different than any other forum I have been on. Rather than let it bother the op and him wonder why someone is acting odd it is easier to just let him know. Much easier to let the OP have an FYI so he can actually adapt to the culture here and learn. Which is what this place is all about learning to cook good barbecue and have fun.

When I use to be part of other forums it was very common to not use any punctuation and you never bothered putting blank space to break up your thoughts. It was just one big run on sentence without punctuation, capitalization, and yeah you never had to bother breaking up paragraphs. I use to get a lot of comments that did not make sense until someone explained it to me. So rather than let the OP go down that fun rabbit hole it is easier just to give him an FYI and save him the trouble.

Try writing without punctuation and without separating out paragraphs. Forget using capitalization. You will drive a lot of these folks right up the wall. Most won't tell you why you are ticking them off. Took someone actually explaining it to me to figure it out.

Don't ask me why but most other forums I have been apart of do not bother with any of this sort of stuff and it is normal to just kind of do what you want. That is not the case here.

I think a friendly fyi goes a lot further than simply saying go away but some folks just don't feel they need to explain it. Kind of funny though because then it just ticks new folks off and you continue with that culture clash and the new person has no idea what they are doing that is making folks respond that way. Trust me I been there and done that and it sucks. Once someone explained it to me then it was much easier for me to make some simple changes to try to adapt and mostly I haven't had major run ins with folks for awhile.

To the OP you will get use to the culture here. Its different but its a great place to learn a lot. Took me awhile to understand the culture here.

Just ask the mods and the Poobah how many times I got myself in trouble over the culture clash. If you get a member that is purple saying something pay attention, if you get a mod with green text pay attention, and if you get red text from the poobah you may get a private message letting you know what is going on. I have gotten them in the past. If a problem comes up or your upset by something someone has said then send that person a pm first and see what the deal is in private. The mods have lives and it just makes more work for them. Trust me I have made more than enough work for those folks over the years because well I got a bit of a big mouth.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #14
Chett. L
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Bacon View Post
I like mixing the LJ Char hickory & Oak for high heat cooks. It tastes good for reverse searing as well low & slow beef cooks. I like oak mixed with the completion blend for chicken & pork. I mix with oak because LJ pellets can be a little ashy & the oak helps with that & doesn’t really affect flavor. Hope this helps.
Thank you.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #15
Chett. L
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Twangzer View Post
The only steak I have smoked is Tri-Tip and used the lumberjack MCH blend. I think now I prefer an indirect sear or a sous vide with a direct sear over charcoal.
Hi Mike,

Thank you. Lumberjack brand seems to be very popular all across the board here. I am going to try it next time.