MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2022, 02:47 PM   #1
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

Default Costco PRIME briskets, been nice knowing you...

Went to grab a few cases of brisket and my meat guy said that "since no supplier can keep up with demand that Costco is only keeping PRIME briskets in select Regions". My region is one that has lost them. I purchased what they had left. Now to try and source for a similar price somewhere...

Just a heads up. May want to grab a couple for yourself and ask them if your Region will still get them.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-18-2022, 02:52 PM   #2
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

*booing noises*

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-18-2022, 03:03 PM   #3
Fooball
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

My Sam's still carries them if you have one close. Walk in as a visitor and see what they have.
Fooball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2022, 03:15 PM   #4
cdhbrad
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : CurtisH

Not sure if I'm in the same situation or not. I was at the Costco nearest to me a couple of weeks ago and I think they only had two Packer Briskets and maybe 5 Flats. Usually plenty of both. Guess I'll find out on my next visit and see what's there. I may have to start searching for Chuck Roast recipes.
cdhbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2022, 04:40 PM   #5
PGarSD
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Patrick

I think the difference at my Costco is (was?) only .50/pound so, ~$7 on a 14lb packer. I'm pretty darn cheap at times but, for the time and effort I put into a brisket on the offset, $7 for the likelihood of a better result is worth it to me.

That said, prime is $3.99 right now and I'm hoping it drops a bit very soon as I'm hungry for "moist" brisket (it was as low as $2.99 a year or two ago, I probably wont see that ever again).
PGarSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2022, 04:47 PM   #6
blackdogbbq21
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Paul

I hate to hear this even though they say certain regions i could see it affecting all of us.
blackdogbbq21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2022, 05:15 PM   #7
JbTech
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Is there still a Restaurant Depot on the west side? Off of Wilson Rd, If I remember correctly.
JbTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2022, 07:13 PM   #8
Kevin James
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : KJ, Renegade Pit BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JbTech View Post
Is there still a Restaurant Depot on the west side? Off of Wilson Rd, If I remember correctly.
Not sure about anywhere else, but the RD near me doesn't sell Prime Briskets, only "Upper Choice Angus".

I called the Costco nearest me and they hadn't heard anything about this, but also said they would only know about what is currently active, and Prime Briskets are an active product currently. They said they couldn't say what future changes are planned.

Nervously keeping fingers crossed...
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2022, 08:22 PM   #9
roademier
Full Fledged Farker

NY Costco's here
$8 lb for choice flats.

smh
roademier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2022, 07:18 AM   #10
ModelMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGarSD View Post
I think the difference at my Costco is (was?) only .50/pound so, ~$7 on a 14lb packer. I'm pretty darn cheap at times but, for the time and effort I put into a brisket on the offset, $7 for the likelihood of a better result is worth it to me.

That said, prime is $3.99 right now and I'm hoping it drops a bit very soon as I'm hungry for "moist" brisket (it was as low as $2.99 a year or two ago, I probably wont see that ever again).
If you can buy prime brisket for $3.99, you better grab all you can now while it's available.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2022, 05:39 PM   #11
nickmv
Full Fledged Farker

Just grabbed a Prime for $3.99/lb without issue in TN today. I honestly dont believe they'll stop carrying them.

"Happenings" such as this are most often a regional thing. For example, you'll see "Costco has tri-tip!" --- yeah, maybe in California. Same principle -- guarantee you're not gonna see brisket going away from Costco in the midwest or southeast at minimum.

I'll have to ask one of the guys in the meat dept next time, they were busy putting out a loud buzzer when I was nearby (I guess they have an alert when I get near!)
nickmv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2022, 07:30 PM   #12
CKYnick
On the road to being a farker

Tis unfortunately true for us here in Delaware also, went today and they only had choice packers and choice high dollar flats
CKYnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2022, 10:34 PM   #13
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James View Post
Not sure about anywhere else, but the RD near me doesn't sell Prime Briskets, only "Upper Choice Angus".

I called the Costco nearest me and they hadn't heard anything about this, but also said they would only know about what is currently active, and Prime Briskets are an active product currently. They said they couldn't say what future changes are planned.

Nervously keeping fingers crossed...

I switched from Costco prime to those restaurant depot upper choice. I found way too much fat on the Costco briskets and there was much difference in quality. ever since the pandemic RD has been giving out day passes to the general public.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:50 PM   #14
sudsandswine

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I switched from Costco prime to those restaurant depot upper choice. I found way too much fat on the Costco briskets and there was much difference in quality. ever since the pandemic RD has been giving out day passes to the general public.
There are certain choice brands I’ll take over prime. Pretty happy with the ones mentioned from RD but Sam’s carries a brand I really like called Black Canyon that I always have great results from.

Old 05-21-2022, 09:30 PM   #15
dummy que
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JbTech View Post
that R.D. only carrys black angus choice

Thanks from:--->