MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
halfcocked
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : George
Default Embers Cahrcole

Stumbled on this site looking for info about "Embers" brand briquets. Could not resist he price at Home Depot so I bought the two bag package for $9.XX. I lit the firs chimney full and saw this awfully thick and acrid smelling white smoke emanating from it. It was a still morning and the smoke enveloped the whole yard. When the black burned to white though, the smoke was all gone and the coals lasted a long time. I feared using it to start the smoker for my brisket smoke but did it anyway. (I only use briquets to start the fire.) Turned out that it did not adversely affect the meat at all. Are these briquets made from hardwoods and if so what kind? If anyone knows.
halfcocked is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Thanks for the info.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 11:12 PM   #3
Roast Beast
is one Smokin' Farker

It's made by Royal Oak

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum x ?
Hunsaker Drum
KCBS CBJ

[B]ROAST BEAST BBQ on [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ROASTBEASTBBQ"]Facebook[/URL] and [URL="https://www.instagram.com/roastbeastbbq/?hl=en"]Instagram[/b][/URL][/FONT]
Roast Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 03:57 AM   #4
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Like mentioned, it is made by royal oak. Same product as royal oak original right now at wally for $8.88/2 18lb bags. Also branded as wally expert grill.
GFS has RO as their brand also. But single large bags #30? ea.
On another note.
I got 2 bags of the cowboy oak/hickory lump at lowes.
Won't be buying that stuff again. Around 1/5 of each bag just doesn't burn. Even at high temps 500* plus. Looks ok, just won't burn. Lots of pieces left after each cook and some rather large pieces.
Doesn't seem to matter if you are smoking or grilling. Some pieces just won't burn.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #5
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Hickory. I've been using it at the lake and like the results too.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #6
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Any time people experience burning issues with briqs that I am familiar with, I automatically think that the briqs were stored outside at the store.

Or something else happened to cause them to soak up a bunch of moisture.

I've used the embers brand, I've used many of the re-branded royal oak products, and they all perform similarly well with the exception of a bag or two that seemed to burn up faster than normal.

I keep my briqs in air conditioning, so I know they will be in perfect condition when used. Once a briq has been exposed to moisture, they will burn funky. I certainly wouldn't trust a kingsford charcoal caddy to be air tight and completely seal the briqs from the moisture invasion.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #7
halfcocked
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : George

These bags came from inside the store but the possibility of moisture occurred to me as well. It will be some time before I use up this batch to see if an other might be different. Anyway, if it is hardwood charcoal I'll put up with the initial smoke. Don't know why they don't label it as hardwood though. Lot more people would buy it I think.
halfcocked is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #8
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Hickory will give you a little heavy smoke till you get them burning good, it burns hotter and longer though.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote