Newbie questions on KJ Classic III vs Traeger

timelinex

Reaction score
I already have a nice high end Fire Magic grill that I do most my cooking on and it's fantastic. I would love to smoke some of my meals though, so we have been considering adding a smoker to the family. I have the smoker basket that you can put in the fire magic, but I assume it doesn't work as well as a real smoker and I'm assuming it's not designed to actually cook via smoking but rather just add a bit of flavoring. Anyways, I am trying to decide what to get and was hoping you guys could help as this forum seems like a wealth of knowledge.

A couple things about my planned use. I don't plan on this being a hobby, and generally the 'simpler' the better.

I was trying to decide between a Traeger and a Kamado. The Traeger seems like the obvious option for ease of use. Everything from temperature, to wifi control, and just about everything else. The compromise seems to be is while it's good for most uses, it's not as good/versatile/strong as a Kamado at the actual smoking part. Since I already have a great grill for normal cooking, I deduced that even though the Traeger is "easier" and least complicated to get into smoking, since I already have a grill, getting a closer to real smoker like a Kamado will leave me with a much more versatile team of tools. Plus, it seems like there are some wifi fan controllers you can buy that basically make the Kamado temperature control just as easy as the Traegers.

Any comments on my reasoning here?

If I do plan on going with a Kamado, I think I have decided on the Classic III as it seems to be overall the best package to just get up and go. Best price I've found is $1369, is it worth waiting for BF deals or is that price about as good as it gets?

Thanks guys

With the KJ, you don't really need a controller. Once you get the temp dialed in, it'll stay there for hours & hours. You can smoke, grill, roast, make pizza, reverse sear a steak at 800*.

And to throw a monkey wrench into things, KJ just released the Pellet Joe.

Both options are very easy to run.

The pellet grill is easier to get started. You push a button to turn it on and dial in whatever temperature you want. There is zero learning curve in terms of the basics. Pellet grills tend to have a lighter (but clean) smoke flavor and that comes through best if you cook at lower temperatures. Because they are automated, it's easy to do that overnight if you want. At a similar price point, pellets also tend to have more space.

A KJ isn't hard to do either but it does take a little more time to get it lit and up to the proper temperature. The KJ is more controllable in terms of how much smoke you want (add more wood chunks) and can get a heavier smoke flavor at higher temps (therefore faster cooks). The learning curve is small but it exists and it's possible to create some pretty awful food if for instance you put the meat on too early after the charcoal is lit. Kamado's can also grill extremely well at very high temperatures but in your case, that's not overly important.

In terms of the specific brands, I personally think Kamado Joe is the best option out there right now for a ceramic kamado. The best deals out there on KJ tends to be the road shows they do at Costco but my guess is that you'd have to wait till next season to find one. On the pellet side, Traeger was the originator but now that the patent has expired other companies are arguably better options. You can save money for similar quality or spend the same or more for higher quality. At the same price point as Traeger I'd look at Rectec (or Yoder). Given your Fire Magic, I'd suggest looking at MAK as well. By all accounts here, they are one of the best options out there and are one of the few that reportedly put out a smoke flavor that's more similar to traditional smoker designs.

Good luck on the decision and let us know what you go with.

You are looking at two VERY popular options. I can tell you my personal experience. I was a HUGE KJ nut for years. Had 2 BigJOE’s, a Classic and Joe Jr. Had a few other cookers as well, some being really nice. Bought an old used MAK from a buddy of mine. Figured I’d tuck it in the corner of my backyard and pull it out every once in awhile when in a time crunch. Never in a million years did I expect the MAK lineup to become my favorite cookers of all time. I no longer own the KJ’s... actually ended up selling almost everything as I found myself grilling/smoking pretty much all the time on the MAK. Super clean and pleasant smoke profile, brain dead easy to use and turns out very consistent and repeatable results. And to top it off, the company is fantastic to work with, providing over the top service if needed. Oh yeah, if Made in the US is important to you, it doesn’t get much more “US Made” than a MAK!

Just my 2 cents... hope it helps a little bit :)

Now I'm more lost than when I came in!

MAK's get great reviews but they don't have built in wifi and the optional add-on gets terrible reviews. So while I could afford getting one, that is a definite no from me. I'm surprised a high end product wouldn't have the thing that makes it's competitors popular in the first place. Just based off discussion online, it seems like it's costing them alot of potential sales.

Recteq is mentioned alot everywhere and look slike a great alternative to Traeger.

Now I'm stuck on whether I want a Komodo type grill, pellet grill or even something like a dedicated smoker?

What would give me the most versatility on top of my existing grill? I've had the fire magic grill up to 650 easily and supposedly it goes much higher as well. I also have a searing burner I can swap out for the regular burner that gets the surface up to 1400 degrees. So searing ability isn't a requirement. It's also plumbed into my natural gas line which makes it extremely easy to use and I'm pretty sure natural gass is like 1/5th the cost to run than pellet grills and others.

With my limited knowledge, if I had to say what is missing would be:

1. Smoking and flavoring the meat.

2. A way to set the temperature to a specific temp. The grill only gives a digital reading and you can also have it beep when it hits a temperature. But actually getting it to a specific temperature is something that can only be done through babysitting.

That is the only things I can't do on the grill that I can think of. So do I just need a smoker of sorts and that's it then?

I would go with a rec tec. If you want something long lasting, Great WiFi, and a very accurate controller, you can't beat Rec Tec. Get the Stainless Steel version if you can afford it. Im guessing you can if you were considering MAK.

Frankly, the WiFi would be a low list on priorities for a pellet grill. They all have connection issues. Some reported more than others, but they all have similar issues. The better pellet units let you program the device and they hold solid. I know Pitts and Spitts and I believe the Mak ( Mak lets you program the unit temp for a set time and then adjust) will get the food to the correct desired temperature and then put the unit in a hold warm stage. That’s a good feature. Yoder might do that as well, not sure.

I’d look at Mak, Pitts and Spitts, Yoder for a pellet (the Yoder has perhaps the best WiFi controller out right now and since you live in Arizona, you won’t have the rust issue some have). Any of these would work in conjunction with your Fire Magic and you will have a pellet grill that will last. For a pure smoking pellet grill, the Pitts and Spitts is really hard to beat. They have a good Facebook owners page that you can get great feedback on from owners.

If you are just wanting to add something to smoke an occasional meal, you could add something like a Weber Smokey Mountain. Easy to use. Easy to clean and handle. Once you have a few cooks under your belt can set and forget, especially if you add a guru to the unit. I say this as I think a WSM is better than a Kamado at smoking. Not as versatile (say for grilling at 800 degrees) but with your fire magic you don’t need versatility.

Last edited:
My .02 based on your desired wants, I'd go pellet grill

Kamado are good at everything, great at nothing (not all would agree). They're so efficient you cut airflow your food might be too smokey

If it was solely smoking, between two, for me would be Yoder ys 640/rec tec/Pitts and spIt's

If one all around cooker, Golden's cast iron kamado, but KJ would be good choice

The more I hear from you and do my best to put myself in your shoes... here’s what I am thinking. It appears that you really enjoy your Fire Magic for grilling. I have cooked on one, and they are NICE grills. Being you don’t really need another high temp grill, and you want something that is set it and forget it... with great smoking capabilities... I’d more than likely add a Hunsaker if I were in you you. As much as I LOVE my MAK, I think in your situation the Hunsaker would play very well with your Fire Magic. As far as smoking, it is my opinion that the Hunsaker will run circles around the Kamado Joe. Easier to bring up to temp and get dialed in, a cleaner smoke profile and the ability to hang large cuts of meat giving you lots of capacity is a fairly small cooker. Just my latest opinion.

My $.02...kamado's are kind of "going out of style" because they are no longer the only "set it and forget it" option in the BBQ game. People loved them for a long time, but they have an almost impossibly low draft and this ends up leaving a bit of a "stale" smoke flavor on the meat. It's VERY noticeable, though some people are so used to that flavor that they like it. They are also extremely heavy and very brittle, so moving them can be a chore and a possible catastrophe if they happen to hit a pebble and fall over.

It sounds like the FireMagic has you all set for grilling / searing, so you're looking for a dedicated "set it and forget it" smoker. Personally I've found pellet grills to lack any real smoke flavor, and my experience with Rec Tec was poor (customer service was great though). Have you considered an insulated vertical cabinet smoker (IVC)? These are usually a bit more expensive than a kamado, but they put out some great BBQ and they actually have a good draft, so you'll get a great smoke flavor on your food. Most quality IVC's are built well enough that you don't need a fan system to run them, so you're not reliant on power at all times. You'll need to check on them from time to time, but generally once you get your vents dialed in you'll be good to go for 8+ hours.

It shows that you're in Arizona so maybe check out LoneStarGrillz and their cabinet cookers.
https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/smokers

Or KAT BBQ Smokers in California might be closer? Depends on where you are in Arizona.
https://katbbqsmokers.com/product/small-vault-insulated-smoker/

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I think another important issue is how many people are you cooking for? I love my RecTeq and it's Wifi connectivity. I have cooked brisket while an hour away at the beach. I have cooked supper while I was driving to work and my wife was driving home. However, it does not put off as much smoke as my WSM (which is somewhat similar to the Hunsaker that Robb mentioned). People who are newer to the taste of smoked foods often times are huge fans of the smokiness of pellet grills. I cooked on my WSM for a year so I liked a slight more smoke on my food, so you may want to take that into consideration as well.

Did you make a decision? Just kind of curious about what’s going on.

IMnotalwaysHO, from what you have shown interest in, you should go with a pellet smoker, as it will be easy to smoke with. I also would say, wait, and save you money. You should try to get a pellet tube for your grill, and try smoking on it at a lower temperature. You might find out that you like it for smoking?

Maybe consider a PBC. It's basically set it and forget it and I've not had any bad food off of mine. Their website has ton's of videos on cooking various foods and it only costs $350 to get you started.

Back