MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb
Default MAK Grills talk/pics/thoughts/reviews and appreciation thread

First, a HUGE thank you to MAK Grills for opening up this amazing group buy deal to the Brethren!!! It is/was soooooo appreciated :)

Well, here we are guys, winding down what has been a fun and engaging MAK Grills/Brethren Group Buy Deal. As the MAK group buy thread is quickly approaching 40 pages/600 posts, it's time we start a new thread for those of us that are new/existing MAK Grill owners.

This thread will also serve as a great repository/resource for those that have yet to join the MAK family, but are wanting to gather unbiased and real world information as they ponder the investment.

This will be the thread for all things MAK :)

For those of you that have just received your new MAK Grill, or are about to receive it, many of us would love to watch over your shoulder as you unpack/assemble/use/test/learn and experience your MAK for the first time. Please do take us along through pics/posts and let us benefit and enjoy right alongside you :)

This will also be a great place to ask any and all MAK related questions.

A bit more personal, but having been a member of the MAK family for a little over 4 years, I cannot speak highly enough about the company and the product. When I make reference to the "MAK family" I don't say that flippantly. Not only have I never had a grill/smoker go through my backyard that I loved and enjoyed more than my MAK 2 Star, but I have never experienced a grill company that cares for and appreciates their customers more so than MAK Grills. Just a couple of examples...

1) Several years ago, as fires were sweeping through Northern CA, I noticed an incoming call from a (503) area code. It was MAK Grills just checking to make sure my family and I were ok. What grill company does that? Sounds more like a family, doesn't it?

2) A few months back, my wife and I were dealing with some pretty heavy family stuff. MAK Grills caught wind of the fact that we were going through a storm, and next thing we find is a card in our mailbox signed by everyone at MAK Grills just letting us know they were thinking about us and wishing us well. What grill company does that? Sounds more like a family, doesn't it?

I am definitely not the only one to report these kind and caring gestures displayed by the fine folks at MAK. I recently saw one of their customers get a minor burn from their hot grill. Next thing that customer finds is a get-well card in the mail with a bandaid for the burn... lol. Not only is it the kindness, but it's also their high level of integrity that has caught my attention. It's the whole package!

Sooo, back the the grills... let's get this thread rolling with all things MAK :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq

Last edited by rwalters; 03-12-2020 at 11:25 AM..
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for starting this Robb! We have had our for 11 months now and love it.

Here she is smoking away

and some food we have cooked

salmon

beef ribs

wings

turkey

stuffed chicken

over chared steak

a perfectly cooked steak

pizza

I hope all the new MAK owners enjoy the grills as much as we have

Old 03-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
GrantAshton
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Grant

Great pictures, Tom!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #4
rwalters

Dang Tom, can I hire you as my families personal chef?!?! That food ain’t no joke!!

Old 03-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
KevinJ

@ tom_b

As they like to say over in England Masterclass!
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸

Last edited by KevinJ; 03-12-2020 at 02:21 PM..
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
StevenZ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Oh my goodness... those photos are awesome!

Old 03-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #7
Marquez
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Marquez

Inaugural cook on my One Star last March
-Drat!
sorry for the sideways images
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1492.jpg (76.8 KB, 1290 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1509.jpg (106.6 KB, 1475 views)

Old 03-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #8
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post

A bit more personal, but having been a member of the MAK family for a little over 4 years, I cannot speak highly enough about the company and the product. When I make reference to the "MAK family" I don't say that flippantly. Not only have I never had a grill/smoker go through my backyard that I loved and enjoyed more than my MAK 2 Star, but I have never experienced a grill company that cares for and appreciates their customers more so than MAK Grills. Just a couple of examples...

1) Several years ago, as fires were sweeping through Northern CA, I noticed an incoming call from a (503) area code. It was MAK Grills just checking to make sure my family and I were ok. What grill company does that? Sounds more like a family, doesn't it?

2) A few months back, my wife and I were dealing with some pretty heavy family stuff. MAK Grills caught wind of the fact that we were going through a storm, and next thing we find is a card in our mailbox signed by everyone at MAK Grills just letting us know they were thinking about us and wishing us well. What grill company does that? Sounds more like a family, doesn't it?

I am definitely not the only one to report these kind and caring gestures displayed by the fine folks at MAK. I recently saw one of their customers get a minor burn from their hot grill. Next thing that customer finds is a get-well card in the mail with a bandaid for the burn... lol. Not only is it the kindness, but it's also their high level of integrity that has caught my attention. It's the whole package!

Sooo, back the the grills... let's get this thread rolling with all things MAK :)
Truly awesome customer service! Things like this make people lifelong customers and ambassadors of the company and its products. And, these are the types of companies I personally think we should go out of our way to support in general.

Old 03-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #9
KevinJ

Tom is a hard act to follow.

Duroc Pork STL Spares

Carne Crosta Blue Cheese Burger

Blackened Mahi with Beurree Blanc Sauce

Ribeyes

Reversed seared Tri Tip

Monterey Chicken

Blackened Grouper

Chuck Roast - Barbacoa

Brisket

WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸

Last edited by KevinJ; 03-12-2020 at 02:48 PM..
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2020, 02:09 PM   #10
rwalters

Excellent looking food Kevin!!

Old 03-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #11
rwalters

I am pretty plugged in with the MAK family over on their FB fan page... a great group (hint, hint).

Some of you know this, many of you may not. Last May, TomB who just posted a bunch of killer cooks in this thread drove from SoCal to NorCal to buy my 2017 MAK 2 Star as I was making room for the 2019 model (I got boss approval and moved quick... lol).

I shared this with the MAK family on May 20, 2019 and thought you guys may enjoy seeing now.

——————————————————————

Kind of a cool Monday morning story to share.

So, as some of you know, a couple of months ago I decided to order the 2019 version of the MAK 2 Star. As part of "the plan" I put my 2017 2 Star up for sale. Not being out to gouge anyone, I attracted a buyer from 9 hours away. We set a day/time... he made a hotel reservation... he and his wife drove from SoCal to NorCal on a Friday... stayed overnight... picked up the MAK early Saturday morning... spent the day putzing around in the Sacramento area... and returned home Saturday night. What some guys/gals will do for a good deal... lol.

We spent probably close to an hour chit-chatting the morning he came over to pick up his new 2 Star. During our coversation, I discovered a few things:

1) His acquisition of my MAK put him at a total of 11 backyard cookers. From a pellet grill, to a stick burner, to a Santa Maria style grill, to a you-name-it... he already had ALL of his bases covered.

2) Although he's heard plenty of positive talk regarding MAK Grills, he's never seen one, nor has he ever had food from one.

3) He is not new to pellet grills, and currently owns a Traeger Timberline 1300 which he really likes!

4) He doesn't want 2 pellet grills sitting in his backyard.

5) He told me that the only reason he had decided to make the 18ish hour roundtrip to buy the MAK was to satisfy his curiousity. His plan was to return home and begin doing a series of side-by-side comparisons... MAK 2 Star vs Traeger Timberline. The winner stays, the loser is put up for sale. His plan was to put them head-to-head over this upcoming summer and then list the loser.

At the end of our conversation, I helped him load the MAK into his truck and watched him drive away.

Since that day, he has done 2 side-by-sides:

1) Chicken thighs, done indirect at 375. The results were a tie with no discernable difference. Both cookers produced a fantastic end result. That said, he put the MAK as the winner because of the shorter pre-heat time. MAK was cruising at 375 within 18 minutes. The Timberline 1300 took 42 minutes.

2) Not a side-by-side, but he also wanted to see what the grilling power of the 2 Star was like. With the sale of the MAK, I included 2 of MAK's sear grates. He used the sear grates to grill burgers and reported back that he was very impressed!

3) After his chicken thigh experience, his next side-by-side was a low-n-slow St. Louis rib cook. One slab of ribs on each smoker... and each slab prepared the same. At the conclusion of the experiment, these were his words. "Both racks had the same basic flavor (same rub). Timberline smoke profile was subtle and clean. MAK smoke profile blew me away, very pronounced more so than my clean running stick burner. May even need to work on dialing it back some with different pellets and/or higher temps."

I saw pictures of both slabs of ribs, and I was actually surprised myself to see the difference in color alone. The MAK ribs looked like slow smoked ribs should whereas the Timberline ribs had more of a baked look to them.

So here we are in May, with this new MAK owners side-by-side comparisons just getting underway... and here is what he said last night. "I plan on a butt maybe next week, but no further testing is required. My mind is made up! The MAK is a better cooker in every way minus capacity." We talked about the capacity comment and how the MAK is deceptively LARGE! He's gonna be fine [emoji846]

His final parting comment last night... "the Timberline to be listed soon!"

Boy, that did't take long :)

Old 03-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #12
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Crispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Thanks for starting this Robb! We have had our for 11 months now and love it.

Here she is smoking away

and some food we have cooked

salmon

beef ribs

wings

turkey

stuffed chicken

over chared steak

a perfectly cooked steak

pizza

I hope all the new MAK owners enjoy the grills as much as we have
That food looks great! Any secrets to that Turkey. The skin looks nice & crispy!
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #13
Sooner21
is one Smokin' Farker

All these pics of food are making me really excited to receive my new MAK... And making me hungry. Pics are incredible guys - can't wait to contribute to this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sooner21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2020, 02:22 PM   #14
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner21 View Post
All these pics of food are making me really excited to receive my new MAK... And making me hungry. Pics are incredible guys - can't wait to contribute to this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here! So many pics & great looking food.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #15
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Kevin those steaks & burgers look great. Any secret to the crust on those burgers? & that roast looks awesome!