Smoked andouille sausage and chicken gumbo - A step by step Pron guide

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The weather Gods in Georgia made me delay my St. Louis Rib smoke until at least Tuesday, so I decided to make my world famous (OK, house famous) smoked andouille sausage and chicken gumbo.
I have tweaked and simplified this recipe over the years so it is down to about a 90 minute prep time, compared to about a 8 hour prep time when I was old school. Now I'm lazy school.
What is this doing in a BBQ forum? Well, it DOES have smoked sausage, and a lot of you peeps smoke your own sausages. Plus I was bored on a rainy day, so here it is.

The cajun spice mix:
Mix together 1 TSBP paprika, 2 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cayenne, 1 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp thyme. Set aside.
001.jpg

The holy trinity:
The base for any cajun/creole cooking - onion, green pepper and celery. Chop 2 cups of onion, 1 cup of green pepper and 1 cup of celery.
002.jpg

The meat:
4 boneless chicken breast halves and 1 lb. smoked andouille sausage. Just for kicks I threw in a pound of shrimp at the end since I had some laying around, but I usually don't add shrimp for this recipe.
003.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/mredman62/BBQ3/003.jpg

The stock:
I used to make my own and let it simmer for 8 hours. Now I go the lazy way out and add two 32oz boxes of chicken stock (8 cups).
004.jpg

The roux:
Gumbo aint gumbo unless you make a dark brown roux. We will get into the basics of roux in a bit. I use 1 cup peanut oil and 1 cup flour. You need to use a oil with a high flash point cause we are making cajun napalm here.
005.jpg

The rest of the ingredients:
1 16oz bag of frozen okra, 2 bay leaves, 3 cloves minced garlic, and cayenne and salt to taste.
006.jpg

Step 1:
Sprinkle the cajun spice mix over the chicken breasts and save the leftover spice, it will be going back into the pot later.
007.jpg

Step 2:
Brown the chicken breasts in a pan with some oil. I'm using canola oil here since I'm not worried about the flash point.
008.jpg

Step 3:
Drain the chicken and store in the fridge until later. Don't worry about cooking the chicken completely, it will cook later in the stock.
009.jpg

Step 4, the roux:
By far the hardest part of making a good gumbo. There are many methods, including using an oven, slowly heating on a stove top, and my favorite method: The high temperature crazy cajun napalm method, which I learned from Paul Prudomme's books. This involves a frantic whisking of boiling hot oil and flour over high temperatures without burning it. It takes a lot of practice to get it right, but it cuts the roux making time down to about 15 minutes as opposed to an hour. If you see black flecks in your roux, you ruined it and have to start over. If you feel it is getting out of hand, pull it off the heat and keep whisking until you feel more comfortable, then put back on the heat.

Starting the roux:
On high heat, I start whisking 1 cup oil and 1 cup flour. You can't stop whisking for any reason, so have the chopped veggies near by. Have the 8 cups of stock simmering so it will be ready when the roux is.
010.jpg

The roux, cont:
Here you can see the roux is just starting to turn brown. My ultimate goal is the color of milk chocolate.
011.jpg

The roux, cont:
Getting a little darker. Still whisking like mad.
012.jpg

Almost there. You can see I am close to the color of milk chocolate. The final color was a little darker, but I didn't want to stop to take a pic and risk burning it.
013.jpg

Step 5: Now turn off the heat and throw your onion/green pepper/celery in. BE CAREFUL! It's called cajun napalm for a reason. Also, if you have a smoke detector, make sure you have a good fan going and/or your doors open. Its going to throw off a lot of steam.
014.jpg

Step 6: Cook the veggies for about 8 minutes. Turn the heat back on low now and then if you have to, but the roux is so freaking hot at this point that you don't need a lot of heat.
015.jpg

Step 7: Add the 1 lb. smoked andouille sausage and 3 cloves of minced garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
016.jpg

Step 8: Now you need to incorporate the roux mixture into the stock. There are a couple of ways to do this, but what I do is add 1 cup of stock at a time into the roux mixture, mixing well. I add a total of about 3 cups of stock, then pour the roux/stock mixture back into the pot of the remaining stock. This ensures that everything is incorporated well.
017.jpg

Step 9: Add the cajun spice mixture you had left from the chicken and the 2 bay leaves.
019.jpg

Step 10: Tear apart the browned chicken with your hands, then add this to the gumbo.
020.jpg

Let this simmer for about an hour. After 30 minutes are so (when the chicken is cooked) taste for heat and salt. Add more cayenne and salt to your desired taste. In this case I added 1 tsp salt and no cayenne since the wifey will just complain.
021.jpg

About 20 minutes before you are aready to serve, add the frozen okra. This is also when I added the shrimp, but like I said, I usually don't add shrimp to this recipe since it really isn't a seafood gumbo.
21a.jpg

When ready to server, put about a cup of rice or so in a bowl, then spoon the gumbo in the bowl. I know it sounds wierd, but I use basmati rice for everything, including gumbo. Me loves the basmati.
022.jpg

Dinners ready! Yumba.
023.jpg

And the 2nd best part, leftovers!
024.jpg

And that's it! Can you tell I was bored? Nothing much else to do on another stormy day in Georgia. Now at least when people ask for my gumbo recipe I can just link them here. :-D

Thanks for making and sharing this guide...

Great recipe! I would imagine that cajun spice mix you started with could be used for a lot of other things as well...

Great recipe! I would imagine that cajun spice mix you started with could be used for a lot of other things as well...

Without a doubt. I actually took this cajun spice recipe from Paul Prudomme's original recipe for blacked redfish, which unfortunately almost eliminated the species. Luckily they have rebounded and now you can still order it. I use it for a base for a lot of my cajun/creole cooking. It's great on grilled fish.

Thanks for the step by step.

I haven't had Gumbo in a long time, but I think I will have to make some soon.

I know that roux is a thickener but is that what it was doing in your gumbo? What would you say the consistency of your gumbo is when it's done? Looks great and I def wanna try this. Just not sure if I'll know when it's done or not.

I know that roux is a thickener but is that what it was doing in your gumbo? What would you say the consistency of your gumbo is when it's done? Looks great and I def wanna try this. Just not sure if I'll know when it's done or not.

First thing, gumbo is one of those dishes like chili, there are thousands of variations. My style is based on on a more traditional style gumbo, which relies on a dark brown roux for flavor. Although it does add thickness, the final consistency of my gumbo is not much thicker than the broth of something like vegetable beef soup. The main contribution of the roux is the flavor. By bringing the flour in the roux to a deep brown color, you get a kind of "roasted nuttiness" flavor that you can't describe, but you know when it is there. When you hit the roux with the veggie mix, you would swear that there are 20 different spices in the pan, but it's nothing but flour, oil and veggies.
If you want a thicker gumbo, you can use something called Filé powder to thicken it up, but I don't use it.
As far as color, that last pic of the roux is prettty much the right color, it is going to get darker when you add the veggies and simmer. Remember, the color you are looking for is the color of milk chocolate. You could really get brave and go for a black roux, but it's not worth the risk.
You can also do a google search on roux and find tons of guides.
013.jpg

Since i was born and raised in louisiana i love my gumbo as well.My only problem is i never have leftovers.Can you explain how you do that?

File powder is just ground up(almost powder fine)sassafras leaves. I make my own every year because it seem to taste better than the store bought variety.

Back