First time fatty

Kanco Connection

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I will be doing my first fattys next Sunday for our Sunday school class! I've done pulled pork and ABTs for them but never fattys. About 60-70 in the group so maybe 3 or 4 along with other stuff. There are all kinds of recipes online. Any advice or tips for my first try? I don't want to get too complex but I do have a reputation to maintain! Anything you guys wish you'd known before your first fatty? Thanks.

Going overboard with fillings is a recipe for disaster. Naked fatties are a great first attempt. Go with a lower-salt rub since sausage is already kinda salty.

Naked fatty slices on smoked biscuits are my favorite BBQ breakfast ever.

I found Ron L's great tutorial on the naked fatty after I posted the question for help. I had it in my head it had to be stuffed and wrapped in bacon to be a quality fatty. I learned different from him and the other guys who posted. I think I might do 2 naked and 2 stuffed (with something--not sure what) and see what the church folk like. I can report back.

I'd suggest going with Kanco's suggestion above. I'm a HUGE fan of a good sausage fatty - usually made with spicy sausage, and rolled in rub (great way to test new rubs for pretty cheap).

Lord knows they freeze and keep well for later, too. I love a good fatty, egg, and cheese sammich for breakfast on the weekend!

Let us know what you decide to try and how it goes!

Have fun!

Last edited:
60-70 in the group 4 fatties not gonna be near enough.
I'd do 8. PLUS the other stuff.

I'm going with 10 slices MAX per fattie.

Are you REALLY gonna tell someone "I'm out of fatties?"

Last edited:
60-70 in the group 4 fatties not gonna be near enough.
I'd do 8. PLUS the other stuff.

I'm going with 10 slices MAX per fattie.

Are you REALLY gonna tell someone "I'm out of fatties?"

Well . . . Now that you put it like that . . . I mean, I don't want come off as some kinda softy. :oops: 8 fatties? As far as the community knows, I know what I'm doing with a grill, and this could either make me legendary. Or I could be revealed as a poser. Hmmmmmmm . . . .

Naked fatties rule! But if you want to stuff one... The Bacon Explosion is one of my favorites. Bacon, wrapped in pork, wrapped in bacon.

I can just imagine it: " . . . And, fellas, we call this one the BACON EXPLOSION!!!" <the crowds ooooohs and aaaaahs> because they've never been exposed to this kind of awesomeness!

Go naked with your favorite rib rub. Personally I like Jimmy Dean Maple. Although Jimmy Dean Hot is good too!

Attachments

• attachment-7.jpg
    attachment-7.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 102
  • attachment-8.jpg
    attachment-8.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 102
Going overboard with fillings is a recipe for disaster. Naked fatties are a great first attempt. Go with a lower-salt rub since sausage is already kinda salty.

Naked fatty slices on smoked biscuits are my favorite BBQ breakfast ever.
I agree completely. You might want to try a beef fattie also, just use a mix like 80/20. You can also mix taco seasoning into a pound of ground beef and fill with cheese, onions, peppers, etc. Might want to go a bit easy on the smoke too.

Go naked with your favorite rib rub. Personally I like Jimmy Dean Maple. Although Jimmy Dean Hot is good too!

I'm partial to Tennessee Pride. :wink: But a slice of any fatty on a biscuit with a half of a cheese flap is awesome.

Big fan of the naked fatty. The stuffed version is very good but it's easy to go overboard with fillings- just like a pizza: sometimes less is best. I did the bacon explosion fatty ONCE- had to just to say I did it. It looked impressive but did not deliver on its promise of awesomeness. Was way too much trouble for what it was.

I've never done a fatty, but I have some residual heat left from a smoke. How long does a fatty take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You cant go wrong with naked I have one in my fridge that I am slicing putting cheese on it and place it between an English muffin
Cowgirl has a great way of doing a stuffed fatty check it out

Nakie Fatties rule! I have a 2 pounder in the fridge waiting to go on the cooker.

Back