MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #16
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Nice write up.

KC

Old 05-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #17
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1233 View Post
55 gallon drums here are $20 on CL.
http://fresno.craigslist.org/grd/5004181108.html
Bob is talking specifically about 30 gallon drums i believe.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #18
TexasRT
Full Fledged Farker

I built a 30gal drum pit with two rebar rods, some hooks and an intake only difference is mine is not powder coated and no horseshoes. Oh well.
I probably have $ 80 - 100 invested.

This isn't rocket science

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #19
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:

-At that price it will definitely be used - PBC is new

-Most likely needing burned out - PBC ready to cook 20 min after receiving

-Not gonna be porcelain coated (or painted for that matter and it'll need painted after you burn it) - PBC Porcelain coated

-Wire brushed scraping required if its got a liner in it - Again PBC is ready to go within 20 min

-55 gallon drum - PBC is 30 gallon which some believe actually is a better size for cooking due to some scientific jargon that I wanna believe and 30 gallon is harder to find usually making it more expensive......

Face it you want a PBC too!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #20
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
I built a 30gal drum pit with two rebar rods, some hooks and an intake only difference is mine is not powder coated and no horseshoes. Oh well.
I probably have $ 80 - 100 invested.

This isn't rocket science

Wow that's a great price! .......Would you mine breaking down the cost of your parts for us? Not disagreeing with you just curious.

If you add powder coating I'm guessing that's another $70-100?? Which would put you close to the $200 mark....
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 05-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #21
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
I know my post was probably way to long for most people to read through thoroughly. If I saw a post this long I would probably just skim it. The price I quoted above was for a new 30 gallon drum as that is what the PBC is made from.

As I mentioned to Ninja if you can find a better price on a a new 30gallon drum let me know and I will be glad to update my figures. Looking further at the the barrel I posted above, I am not sure if it would be safe to use for smoking. But perhaps the lining could be burned out. I wonder if some of the folks who build UDS's can comment on that. Thanks all for your help.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #22
TexasRT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Wow that's a great price! .......Would you mine breaking down the cost of your parts for us? Not disagreeing with you just curious.

If you add powder coating I'm guessing that's another $70-100?? Which would put you close to the $200 mark....
You keep dwelling on the powder coating. If I'm not mistaken they just started that recently. Before that they were just painted with HH paint, and that was great at the time.
I already broke down the price of mine, $80-100. Probably closer to $100.

Do you happen to have a vested interest in the company or are you just that excited about your new cooker?

Old 05-07-2015, 09:49 PM   #23
Bob C Cue

Quote:
You keep dwelling on the powder coating. If I'm not mistaken they just started that recently. Before that they were just painted with HH paint, and that was great at the time.

Do you happen to have a vested interest in the company or are you just that excited about your new cooker?
They have always been powder coated. A few months ago they switched to porcelain coating and only raised the price by $10. I mentioned at the beginning of my post that people have been building inexpensive UDS's for years and they are great cookers. I admire anyone who has made their own smoker. I would probably mess it up big time.

The point of my post is that if people say they can build a PBC clone using all new materials of the quality used by the PBC Company and coat it with porcelain, then I would to see how they can do it.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast

Old 05-07-2015, 09:53 PM   #24
Dauvis
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

I am curious about your price breakdown as well. How much of the materials, parts, and tools involved in building of your UDS did you already have on hand?

Old 05-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #25
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hey now everbody just wants to be proud of their cookers and the food it produces. Some folks like making theirs and others buying somthing ready to go. Mine might do this and yours might do that but at the end of the day if your family and friends like the chow then we win!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #26
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:

I'm not dwelling on anything actually. The PBC'S that were painted were also about $50 cheaper I believe. They raised the price when they started porcelain coating but I believe the owner wants a quality product and porcelain coating will last longer

My question was simple and just for a comparison but telling me you already broke down the price by saying it cost you $80-100 total doesn't really tell us anything.

Not sure if that last question was for me but since I'm quoted I assume it was so I'll answer. ......I didn't start this thread Bob did and the little that I know of him he enjoys his PBC. Is that strange? I mean there's a 100 page thread here about building a UDS. Those people love their cookers too. I don't have a vested interest in PBC but I think for the price it's a great cooker. I actually bought mine used for about half price but now that I have cooked on it I would have no problem buying new if I needed another one.

Edit: Another point, some people don't like the thought of using a used drum to cook their food in. Crazy or not it's true and that's why comparing the cost would need to be a new barrel as ALL PBC's are built from new barrels.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 05-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #27
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Hey now everbody just wants to be proud of their cookers and the food it produces. Some folks like making theirs and others buying somthing ready to go. Mine might do this and yours might do that but at the end of the day if your family and friends like the chow then we win!
Can't disagree with that. All cookers have their fans. Purpose of my thread was to point out that matching the PBC spec for spec and keeping it under $300 is next to impossible.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Old 05-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #28
TexasRT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
They have always been powder coated. A few months ago they switched to porcelain coating and only raised the price by $10. I mentioned at the beginning of my post that people have been building inexpensive UDS's for years and they are great cookers. I admire anyone who has made their own smoker. I would probably mess it up big time.

The point of my post is that if people say they can build a PBC clone using all new materials of the quality used by the PBC Company and coat it with porcelain, then I would to see how they can do it.
I stand corrected.
I think it's safe to say that the average Joe, can't buy the parts for the price that someone who is buying hundreds of them. That's why people buy used drums and make their own pits. Nothing at all wrong with...
To each, their own

Old 05-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #29
Bob C Cue

Quote:
I stand corrected.
I think it's safe to say that the average Joe, can't buy the parts for the price that someone who is buying hundreds of them. That's why people buy used drums and make their own pits. Nothing at all wrong with...
To each, their own
Very well said. Thanks. As someone once said (and I am paraphrasing) let's all smoke a fatty.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Old 05-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #30
TexasRT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Very well said. Thanks. As someone once said (and I am paraphrasing) let's all smoke a fatty.

, have good one.

Tags
build a UDS, Godwin's Law, ikea effect, jimmy cooker, PBC Clone, PBC Haterz, pit barrel cooker, porcelain coating, smokin fatties