• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Harvest brine

Eckie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I had never heard of the Harvest Brine until recently reading about brethren trying it/using it. The posts regarding it involve turkey and chicken (that time of year)...wondering if anyone has used on other meat, specifically pork? Thinking butt, but also for whole hog (small) cooking in la caja china?

I've used it on pork tenderloins with great results. Great subtle flavors and plenty of moisture.

I've never used it on a butt or whole hog because the cuts of meat are so big and would requires a large amount of brine/rub. Harvest Brine recommends 1 teaspoon per pound of meat with a suggested brine time of 2 - 3 hours per pound of meat. It could add up to a large amount of product and a long brine time especially with large cuts.

Keep us posted if you try it.

Gimme.....very good point that i hadn't though about. I too have 'made ham' like that before...its very disappointing. Im glad you said that

I've used it on pork tenderloins with great results. Great subtle flavors and plenty of moisture.

Computer locked up as I was trying to upload picture last night, sorry.

I have also used it on half pork loins, again Great subtle flavors and plenty of moisture.

enhance

IamMadMan, that looks really good! Did you brine them for the recommended time per pound?

IamMadMan, that looks really good! Did you brine them for the recommended time per pound?

This was done as a lesson plan to the local culinary students on dry brines with limited class times, so it was only applied for about half of the required time. I prepped for the first class, and each class would prep the meat for the next following class in advance.

Even at half the brine time, the tenderness, the flavor, and the moisture was well over the top. Great lesson for the students to understand about how a brine (wet and dry) relaxes the proteins, producing a better product.

I also used it on several capons with great results.
Yes it's a capon, it's not a turkey....

enhance

enhance

So I gather that this is a dry brine...Does it include a cure? I can't see any reason that a brine w/o cure would make pork taste "hammy".

Tell me what I'm missing here...please.

Used Harvest Brine for the first time today on an 11Lb turkey....holy crap was it moist and delicious! I didn't get pics but I smoked it between 275-300° until I hit 160° in the breast and am I'm just floored at how moist and juicy the turkey was.

Harvest Brine will be my go to from here on out for turkeys!

In regards to the comments on ham...i have put a rub, which included salt, on both ribs and a butt overnight, and the resulting meat tasted very much like ham. I have never used any cure or the pink salt, just standard table or kosher salt. I dont know if it was because the meat was enhanced or what, but it makes me shudder to realize that I'm not sure why it happened, and therefore it could happen again. Gimme stated that he brined it overnight, didnt say it was Harvest Brine....but HB is a brine so.....

And 6 people specifically stated Harvest Brine doesn't make it taste hammy... so...

Actually, no one said that they have done a but, and even though ppl have used it on loin or tenderloin, they dont say that they had it brining for the recommended length of time. And Smoke Freak was wondering how it could lead to 'hamminess' without cure salt on it.

Back